Keeping a legacy alive.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Growing up as a kid, I had access to to pair of Ruger Single Six .22LR's. One of them belonged to my father, and the other had been my grandfather's.

I had always preferred shooting my dad's, as he had put more miles on his, giving it more holster-wear and a smoother action. I had a quickdraw rig, and taught myself to twirl the pistols like I was a Wild West gunfighter. My dad's was a staple to bring with us on every camping trip, or trip to the range.

Somewhere along the way, my dad's pistol got stolen from my mother's home, where I kept most of my guns while I was in college and living with roommates. I'm pretty certain it was stolen by someone that she had doing work at her house at some point, but regardless, I was really upset about losing that pistol. Luckily, I still had my grandfather's, but the set had been broken. Add to the fact that my old man and I had a strained relationship for about 10 or 15 years. I had toyed with the idea of replacing the pistol during that period, but for some reason, it just never felt right.

Well, in the past year or so, my dad and I have mended some fences and talk to each other almost daily. Yesterday, I found myself at Jim's Firearms, answering some questions about gun trusts, and I noticed in their used gun case, a great looking, 3-screw Single Six. Honestly, I'd never really noticed an old one for sale anywhere, until that moment. They pulled it out of the case, and I guess the rest is history, as they say....

The one on the right is my grandfather's, and the other is the new (old) addition. We may have skipped a generation, but I'll be guarding this pair to hand down to my kids.

Sorry if I got too sappy!

Last edited:

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I am disappoint that the original did not pop up.
    I am appoint that your dad and you have reestablished a relationship.
    I miss my dad every day :(

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    You know,
    There's still NIB 3 screw single sixes out there, maybe your dad could have a "new" one to make that a nice trio to hand down to your kids one day. Just a thought, and they don't go for too much money, I actually know where a few are in denham.

ETA: spoke too soon, just checked and he has sold all his NIB old model single sixes

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am disappoint that the original did not pop up.
    I am appoint that your dad and you have reestablished a relationship.
    I miss my dad every day :(

Yep. No fairy tale ending. Just real life. We take what we can get.

You know,
    There's still NIB 3 screw single sixes out there, maybe your dad could have a "new" one to make that a nice trio to hand down to your kids one day. Just a thought, and they don't go for too much money, I actually know where a few are in denham.

I didn't realize that- Thanks! I've seen the "new model" and once you handle both of them, there's no comparison.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    They aren't new production, sorry if that was misleading. They are old stock, collectibles. They don't really go for much more than a new oneX which is puzzling to me. I know a few guys that deal in the old rugers, I'll see if I can find you a new old stock locally.

Top Bottom