Kel Tec KSG - Great Idea or Today's Wonderbread?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Okay, let me start by blaspheming.

I have recently divested myself of most shotguns. Fighting shotguns that is. Reason? Rifles will do their jobs better, except in the hunting relm. Better precision of fire, more capacity, faster rates of fire, longer envelopes of engagement, less recoil and noise/flash, etc. And I COULD go on and on on why I made that switch.

But...this Kel Tec KSG offering is making me salivate for the "combat trombone" once again. More than decent capacity (anyone know if they've been tested with Aguila mini's?), short enough, without going on the grid for AOW or SBS, to maneuver indoors or in/out of vehicles, a better bore axis ratio for better recoil control. There are some interesting aspects to this weapon, new though it may be. And never mind my "switch", nothing throws more lead per shot than shotguns. That didn't change. Would seem that this one would allow a LOT more lead than more traditional single magazine tube designs (did you ever think you'd hear that? single magazine tube designs...oh...how old and funky...single tubes...eeeeewwwww :) )

So...what do you folks think if this THANG? Sell me on it. Sell me against it. Better than AK shotgun variants? Worse? Why? Why not? Want one? Never would touch one? Gonna get one soon? Have one? Wouldn't be given one?

Let em rip. (yeah, I'm bored)

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    The concept is awesome, if I actually see one in a shop I might buy it to test it out, I doubt I will order one. Who knows they have been talking about it for a year now it may never come out, or it may be put in the destructive device class- if it actually works good I imagine that's what will happen.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Two words for you... BETA TESTER.

Do you want to be one? This thing has been delayed almost two years from the original announcement; there can only be one reason why. Word is that they now have all the bugs worked out of it. Maybe...

They sell for around $800. That's MSRP, anyway. One local emporium got one, and immediately put it up on Gun Broker, where somebody paid $1400 for it. One wonders how many loyal customers of that store were/are waiting for one???

Do you feel the need for a shotgun? Or just THIS shotgun? Personally, I'd give it at least a year. I haven't seen one, but a trusted comrade has... and he says there's a lot going on with that feed/switch mechanism.

FYI...

I had no idea they actually released them.....

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I know nothing about this gun, but I did come across this video a few days ago.

I don't know if there is any truth to it or not. You be the judge.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    The exact opposite flaw of my Ithaca. With the ithaca I can hold the trigger down and it will fire every time I pump it. If that flaw is real and in every weapon I sense a recall.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    KelTec did the most important piece of marketing these days, they got this shotgun into Modern Warfare 3. In doing so they have positioned this thing as one of the baddest ass most hyper-deadliest weapons on the face of the earth, and well worth quadruple MSRP! Just look at what the Modern Warfare franchise has done for the FN fEyeV-sEvUn! ;) :D

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Oh well if it's in MW3 than we better be careful. Some "expert" from the NE US will create a profile and tell us what idiots we are for not loving his gun.

Dave

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I took a look at it at SHOT. I'll pass. The magazine lever is a bad idea and I do not believe the thing will work reliably as recoil forces cause it to flex.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    KSG is dead. Long live the new king, Calico's 25 round shotgun with a helical mag.

9RS7u.jpg

It looks like it came out of Blade Runner or something.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    Not Blade Runner;.. Terminator:
    T-800.4.jpg

Note the Plasma Pulse Rifle this T-800 is holding. It uses the Pistol Grip from a Calico M-900 or 950 or M960A.

Edit: Why that info is in my head, I do not know.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I know nothing about this gun, but I did come across this video a few days ago.

I don't know if there is any truth to it or not. You be the judge.

[=youtube;TPFw5Py1oY4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPFw5Py1oY4[/video]

I've done that a crap load with the sample I had my hands on... never had a problem. Anomaly at best. Well. One of ours is the anomaly. :rofl:

Cornbread504

Drink coffee and destroy.
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Uptown NOLA
    i wouldn't mind at all getting my hands on one of these but i'm more likely to wait a few years and pick up one that some jackhole dropped it off his boat and is selling it for 350 cuz it needs some love

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    KSG is dead. Long live the new king, Calico's 25 round shotgun with a helical mag.

9RS7u.jpg

:eek5: I busted out laughing at that picture, mainly just because the background is Calico Light Weapon Systems, and there is that thing that looks like it needs to be mounted on the back of a jeep.:rofl:

Top Bottom