Kel-Tec PF9 vs P11

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RMBLON

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Any one have any experience with these 2 guns? I was thinking I wanted the P11 because of the extra shots, but after handling both, the trigger pull on the P11 was 10 times harder that of the PF9. Now I know neither one is known for a good trigger, but the P11 was ridiculous. Could this just have been a fluke with that gun and most P11's are better? Any one know of a reason to stay away from Kel Tec. I know the Glock 26 is an option, but its so darn fat and ugly. Any Suggestions on the subject? Thanks.

40caloldtimer

I can hit the orange.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    Burnside, LA
    yes they do and about 5 other manufactures IMHO, I carry a G-23 very much modified for my shooting and liking. I own Smiths and my favorite type of handgun is a Browning Hi-power, but neither of them are as light, comfortable, and it holds plenty of ammo. I agree for a pocket gun a 26 or 27 is chunky and my neighbor has the pf9 and it is a true pocket gun hell 20 years ago that was a standard size .22 lol. After going to the range with him, I put it on my BUG list for future purposes.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I had purchased a P-11 several years ago for my CCW which it was fine for. I really hated the trigger too, but for a CCW it makes for a nice small high capacity weapon that is easily concealable. I eventually sold it for the Kel-Tec P-32 which is even more concealable. This was before the introduction of the PF-9 which has a much better trigger although it's still not competion quality, but hey it's not a range gun it's a BUG.I think the PF-9 is a better CCW than the P-11. I have shoot the PF-9 and like it alot better over the "11" , to me the extra capacity of the 11 over the 9 isn't that big of a deal, just pack a extra mag. Oh BTW the Kel-Tec forum www.ktog.org has tons of info on them both if you need more, I'm actually a mod over there too, but for the SU-16"s.

Just for the record I'm not a fan of Glock's but think they are fine guns, I just don't like them.

Bam Bam

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    If Plaxico Burress had been packing a PF9 or P11 instead of a Glock, he most likely would not have shot himself in the leg and thus would not have been indicted today on firearms charges in New York State and would still be playing for the Giants.Oh well....

the.girl32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    St Tammany
    I was set on PF9 for my carry gun, because I felt it was the minimum I would want to protect myself with. However, I just bought a Ruger LCP...yeah, yeah, it's a .380. But if you look at the numbers on it with good CorBon or Hornady Critical Def ammo, I think it will hold its own, especially in close contact which is how most of us would use our CCW if necessary. Plus it is the ideal "pocket gun", even in summer time. I have heard of issues with the Kel tec's, but I can't say I am super familiar with them. I don't own one.
    I will say the Ruger shoots smoothly and easily. Trigger pull is a lil long, but not so much that it is an hindrance.

I still might get a baby glock for winter wear just because I can. My .357 is in the car and my Glock .40 is in the house...just my 2 cents.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Side by side of P11, PF-9, P3AT and a few others:

top1.jpg

front3.jpg

bottom1.jpg

As you can see, the size differences are mostly on paper. The P11 trigger is pretty horrible, but you can make it less horrible; however, no matter what you do to a PF-9, you can't make it carry 12 rounds. ;)

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Had both, sold both. Don't regret selling either. The P11's trigger made it a horribly inaccurate weapon. You'll need those extra rounds to make up for the nasty trigger. It's thickness is almost as bad as my G26 so why not just carry the glock?

The PF9 was so light it was a pain to shoot, literally. Put 50 rounds through it and you'll notice a split in the webbing of your fingers between thumb and pointer. You don't want to get enough practice in to learn how to shoot the thing well because of how much it will tear your hand up.

I ended up picking up a Sig p238 for a pocket gun. It's actually very comfortable to shoot, fits perfect in my pocket with a wallet holster, and I'm quite accurate with it because I enjoy bringing it to the range and practicing. Sure .380 isn't all that great but it's better than not carrying anything. I have the G26 for when I feel I need the extra rounds (say I'm going to New Orleans or something) but if I'm wearing pants you bet that the p238 will be in my pocket and it's so comfortable I don't mind it one bit. :dunno:

Top Bottom