Kel-Tek PF9

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Since getting my CCW I've found that my SP101 was a bit heavy for me and I wasn't carrying for that reason. So I went to the gun show a few weekends ago here in lafayette and touched just about everything in there. Well after a few hours I found the Kel-Tek to be perfect for me. It felt right and was light. It also carries 7+1 rounds of 9mm instead of 5 rounds of 357 are 38spc. I was finally able to get to Barney's this week. I shot 150 rounds of ball ammo with no problems, but forgot my damn boxes of carry ammo. I read peaple saying that the kick of this light weight gun was noticeable, well they were right. After the 100 round mark there was noticable shaking on my part and after the 150 round mark the web of my hand was a bit sore for a few hours. Accuracy was still VERY good with me doing my part and with all the pain and shaking going on towards the end. I have to say im happy with it so far. I've carried it IWB while doing yard work and running quick errands about town and it is damn comfortable! I'll be taking it out to the country tommorrow to run some JHP's through it. I'm not sure about carrying just FMJ full time while out and about, until I see what selfdefence rounds work in it. Am I being paranoid, I mean I FEEL i'm doing the right thing by waiting to carry EVERYWHERE until I found the right selfdefence rounds to carry in it? BTW the SP101 is still for sale on here:D

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    The absolute first rule of being in a gun fight is to have a gun. Subtext for that rule is to have a gun that works. I would, without question, carry fmj until proven that it fires your chosen SD rounds.

Fwiw, my wife pf9 eats speed gold dot 124 +p like candy. HST +p 127 also.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The absolute first rule of being in a gun fight is to have a gun. Subtext for that rule is to have a gun that works. I would, without question, carry fmj until proven that it fires your chosen SD rounds.

The gold dots in my PF9 also worked perfectly. Get that clip to go on the side and you are good to go with any clothing choice.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette

Thats sounds good to me. Im gonna try the ammo your wife uses also. thanks

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I use PDX1 147 +P as my carry ammo, and it kicks like a mule. I can't believe you stuck around for 150 rounds in one sitting, to be honest. Even with plain ol' Wally World Federal 9mm, it still kills after the first 20 or so rounds.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I don't know what y'all talking about. I really don't find there oil that outrageous. Yeah, it's snappy but not THAT bad. I put 200 rds of 115 jhp, 50 of the gold dot +p and 50 of the HST +p at once and it didn't bother me.

The wife did 150 jhp same day and said "it's not as bad as you said it would be" (I was trying to prepare her)

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I don't know what y'all talking about. I really don't find there oil that outrageous. Yeah, it's snappy but not THAT bad. I put 200 rds of 115 jhp, 50 of the gold dot +p and 50 of the HST +p at once and it didn't bother me.

The wife did 150 jhp same day and said "it's not as bad as you said it would be" (I was trying to prepare her)

Yeah yall are tougher than me. About 100 in with my pf9 and I'm done for the day with it. Then I go back to the glock or mark III. My wife won't even shoot the pf9 anymore. That being said I love the pf9. It goes anywhere with whatever I happen to throw on.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I had to sell my pf9. Even with one of those limbsaver recoil pads the webbing between my thumb and pointer would rip open after around 100 rounds. I couldn't get enough training with it to feel confident using it as my every day carry.

Mine had no trouble with the winchester bonded hollowpoints (the black box with pdx on it). I put a couple of boxes through it when I first bought it and carried it with them for about a year. Just didn't get much range time with the gun because I hated shooting it.

Top Bottom