Kids dentist

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    My son had to have his two front teeth pulled today. Not a big deal, they just were impacting the ones coming in. We had a case of "shark teeth" but we're all fixed up now.

He came out with a blank stare. The assistant started to lose her temper with him because he'd look straight at her and continue to chew on his numb cheek. I'm talking cud chewing cow time. He looked at us like we were speaking a second language. Blitzed.

That's not the first time he's had a bit of what I'd call reaction. I mentioned to the assistant that he always is out of it, or extremely hyper after every visit. Personally I think she was just as rude and short tempered with me when she said that was impossible. He's not under the influence of nitrous any longer. It had oxidized out.

Has anyone else noticed little things after laughing gas with the little ones? She might be right, but I also know something is just not quite right afterwards either.

I don't have enough knowledge to feel like I have a strong argument to sit down with the dentist. Ian has extremely long baby roots so this won't be the first extraction.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Aren't you the client?? Tell the assistant to **** off next time. I've always felt out of it after the dentist but don't know if it was the gas or the 6 shots or the pills or the cream or the bottle of jack after getting home that actually causes it though.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Was that at the kid's dentist in Alex (forget the name, but the "Bippo" dentist)? Mine have never had a reaction there, but if that's the place I am surprised that one of the gals got such an attitude.

Sorry, no help with your question.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Was that at the kid's dentist in Alex (forget the name, but the "Bippo" dentist)? Mine have never had a reaction there, but if that's the place I am surprised that one of the gals got such an attitude.
    Dr Anna was always really nice... Wife took my boy once and now she says I'm not allowed to go. :D

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

Lost, we've been going there for years. I was floored.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Dr Anna was always really nice... Wife took my boy once and now she says I'm not allowed to go. :D

Ha ha, never met the doc, but the gals in the front usually made the visit less than terrible.

On a side note, on my son's first visit to an "adult" dentist, he made it back to the car and passed out. Just fell flat on his back and luckily his side of the car was next to the grass. The receptionist saw it through the window and her and the doc ran out to check on him. Only problem any of my kids have had after a procedure.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My sister works in a Dentist office, she uses that stuff daily on kids. I will ask her what the normal reaction is, and if she has heard of any adverse reactions before. I know when I go under the gas I have an out of body type feeling, but it wears off quick. It is the 6 shots that last 4-5 hours. Oh, I only use the gas because it is unnerving having your younger sister stand over your blocked open mouth with a needle full of numbing agent.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm not usually one to do it, but your treatment might need to be brought to the attention of whoever is in charge there.

I dunno. I know if the kidlet isn't listening and he continues to bite at the numb area, she was correct in being concerned. I usually have fantastic care there, and it could be she didnt make that transition between fearing Ian was going to bite through his cheek, to talking with me very well.

I've thought about it. She sounded like I do when I'm worried. Pissy, and frantic. Ian was probably upsetting her because she was afraid of serious injury.

I'm still not quite satisfied with her "no it can't happen" answer. Ten minutes later he was fine but it took a little while.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My daughter has been through some extensive dental work over the years. When she was a bit younger they would give her versed. Great stuff, btw, since she would have no memory of the treatment. It was like she was drunk as a skunk for an hour or two after though... but with just the laughing gas no problems. She had something done a few days ago and no probs. PM my wife on FB if you want more details...

btw, if anyone is looking for a great kid's dentist in NO area- Dr. Pamela Shaw has been a miracle worker for us. She's on Metairie Rd near the train tracks. PM me if you want more info. I can't say enough good about her!

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    When "Laughing gas" is used the patient breaths a mix of nitrous oxide and oxygen. Typically it's no more than 50/50. When the procedure is over the patient should breath 100% Oxygen for several minutes to avoid "Diffusion hypoxia". Nitrous oxide doesn't like being in the bloodstream and rapidly leaves the bloodstream once it's turned off. It fills the lungs leaving the bloodstream faster than oxygen can get in. If the patient isn't given enough time to breath pure oxygen the result is a rebreathing of the Nitrous oxide in very high concentrations without enough Oxygen and the patient will pass out. The same thing can happen if the patient breaths through his mouth instead of the nasal hood ( Room air is only 18% oxygen). What I'd suggest is that the next time your son is treated, mention that he's usually out of it after Laughing gas and could they make sure he gets lots of oxygen when he's finished. In regard to the rude staff, everyone can have a bad day at work, and treating kids all day is about a stress filled as it gets. Maybe she was having a bad day. If rude treatment is consistantly encountered I'd write a letter to the dentist and marked "personal" on the envelope. I'm sure he or she would appreciate the information. A letter like that read at a staff meeting can get the staffs attention pretty quickly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom