Kimber disassembly

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Hi guys,

I bought myself a new kimber pro carry II for christmas. today i stripped it all the way down for the first time.

on this kimber there is a tiny "L" shaped pin (looks like a small allen wrench) that must be inserted into the guide rod while the slide is locked in the back position. this holds the spring in a compressed position. this allows you to push the bushing out backwards, then remove the barrel from the front. this makes it a pain i the but to take it down if you dont have this little "tool".

I guess my question(s) is, are all kimbers like this or is the something with this particular model or series? what are your experiences with kimber?

this is my first kimber, i have two colts, a gvt model and a defender. the defender is a custom shop style gun and it doesnt appear to be made quite as well as the kimber.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Hi guys,

on this kimber there is a tiny "L" shaped pin (looks like a small allen wrench) that must be inserted into the guide rod while the slide is locked in the back position. this holds the spring in a compressed position. this allows you to push the bushing out backwards, then remove the barrel from the front. this makes it a pain i the but to take it down if you dont have this little "tool".

I guess my question(s) is, are all kimbers like this or is the something with this particular model or series? what are your experiences with kimber?

Most all one piece full length guide rods with reverse plugs, which are mainly used with bull barrels, are this way. Some FLGs are too long and will not allow the bushing ears to pass over them. I prefer the standard gov recoil spring plug. In my oppinion, the only thing a full length guide rod does is add weight to the front of the gun.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    All one piece full length guide rods are this way. I prefer the standard gov recoil spring plug. In my oppinion, the only thing a full length guide rod does is add weight to the front of the gun.
    My carry 1911 (3.6" slide) uses a full length guide rod and uses no special tools. Breaks down just like a regular ol' 1911. I'd assume someone makes a guide rod for the Kimber that doesn't use any funky tools.

I do agree about the plug though, it's a much better setup. Just another case of people fixing what ain't broke.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Yes the Pro carry does have this arrangement. It can be taken down without it, its just more difficult to reassemble and you have the possibility of the recoil spring flying away from you. If its an aluminum frame gun, you must replace that spring every 800 rds. You will crack the frame if you do not do this. I have a few of the takedown pins, In a pinch you can use a paperclip.

Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It is an aluminum frame, commander(4") size gun, with the bull barrel.

replacing the spring every 800 rds? you know this from experience or from word of mouth? why does it crack the frame? stress related??...tell me more.....

thanks guys, any other tips are apprieated

Top Bottom