Kimber K6XS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Had the opportunity to shoot this aluminum alloy j frame Kimber at a company sponsored deal at the Jefferson indoor range yesterday. Was interested because I typically carry a S&W 438 j frame, and the quality of the Kimber was excellent. Wanted to try to see if it would warrant getting something new with a significant price tag. The pros:
    - The double action only action was smooth as silk.
    - The fit and finish is excellent (although remains to be seen how it would hold up)
    - Accuracy and sights very good. A nice improvement on the generally rudimentary sights you find on j frames, including my own.
    - Alloy construction very light and easy to carry.
    - Six shots instead of 5

The cons:

- Downside of light weight alloy is very little to absorb recoil even from regular .38 Special, although gun is approved for plus p’s.
    - Increased recoil highlighted that rubber grips are not sufficient and was genuinely painful each shot in web of hand between thumb and index finger.

Well aware from years of having them, j frames are not particularly fun to shoot and it’s the trade off for size and ease of concealment. When I go to the range, I shoot it enough to maintain competence and then shoot something more fun. Not clear if could address grip issue with aftermarket grip from Pachmyre or Hogue or if the Kimbers are to distinctive to get alternate grips. However, improved accuracy has me considering. If anyone has experience with the Kimber revolvers I’d be interested in your comments.
    IMG_4288.jpeg

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Saw a few at the gun show. Price was attractive, as is the 6 shot capacity. Looks like a hogue grip on there already. Anyone know if the std k6 grips fit these? Are they the same?

Top Bottom