Kisatchie National Forest and firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    My buddy and I were looking to make a camping trip sometime this winter in Kisatchie National Forest I was wondering if it would be legal to bring my sbr as it is my camping rifle.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    THAT is a lot of "prohibited" items/activities. I'm so glad to see that it's a simple yes or no. :confused:

That's what I thought, I'm unsure what all those are specifically for. I'm making a trip up to Kisatchie in the next few months, and I'm curious to know a definitive answer on this. I don't want a "Well the ranger said I can" type situation. I want hard and fast writing.

Edit -

First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National
    Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment
    of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws
    concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are *cased gun laws*.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

Louisiana does not have any Cased Gun Laws, such as Virginia. Louisiana is an open carry state, therefor one could make the assumption that it is OK to openly carry on National Forest Land in Louisiana (Kisatchie).

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I have not been to Kisatchie however I have been to Tensas and both are Federal forestry areas. In Tensas All firearms must be cased unless you are in the act of hunting and licensed to do so. Even in route to your hunting area on an ATV the firearm MUST be in a case.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have not been to Kisatchie however I have been to Tensas and both are Federal forestry areas. In Tensas All firearms must be cased unless you are in the act of hunting and licensed to do so. Even in route to your hunting area on an ATV the firearm MUST be in a case.

Tensas is a National Wildlife Refuge.
    Kisatchie is a National Forest.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Kisatchie is also a National wildlife preserve with hunting regs very similiar to Tensas. No info on there website that I could find about firearm possesion a phone call is probably a good idea.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/kisatchie/recreation/hunting/?recid=34613&actid=54

One thing to note, before we get into debate, is that Kisatchie is divided into districts.

kisatchieNF.jpg

See also

The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit
    to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle
    while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a
    primitive weapons season or chase only season.

If you have a Louisiana CHP, you are good to go. It's a grey area when it comes to openly carrying a SBR.

Last edited:

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    So, is there a federal provision that defers to state codes IF here are no federal regulations? Therefore making the law listed above the rule.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    DAVE, your regulations are for State lands. Federal lands go by different and more stricter rules. Play it safe and keep it covered especially around camp because all regs require firearms to be unloaded and put away at camp.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    DAVE, your regulations are for State lands. Federal lands go by different and more stricter rules. Play it safe and keep it covered especially around camp because all regs require firearms to be unloaded and put away at camp.

Do you have anything that proves that?

Everything that I've read, shows it's good to go for concealed carry in Kisatchie, but open carry is a grey area.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Assumptions don't go over well with judges and prosecutors so I fixed your legal argument. :thumbsup:

I agree.

And phone calls to the ranger station, with "Ranger Dick said I could do it!" doesn't hold up in court either.

My original point was that it's not as cut and dry as everyone thinks it is.

Top Bottom