knife carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    What are the laws regarding carrying knives? I have my S&W HRT that I carry on a daily basis clipped to the inside of my pocket but wanted to know what the law says can go.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Are there any laws regarding how it is carried? Is it okay to be in my pocket or does it have to have some of it showing so others know it is there.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There was a post on here about it a while back. I think LACarry said something (complete w/ cited laws by chapter and verse) to the effect of LA doesn't have a clear law as far as length. If it can be construed as a weapon (whatever that means...) and its concealed its illegal. And no, a CCH permit still doesn't let you carry a decent sized knife.
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Ok, I have gotten where I hate to post stuff like this here because everyone wants to argue crap all day long.

Understand that there are two different facets of the conversation here:

The letter of the law
    The nuances of the law

The letter of the law says that you can carry any damn thing you want openly. There is no law against having a machete duct taped to your forehead.

The nuances of the law are case law and the mood of the court and how your DA leans and what kind of mood the LEO that you run into is in, etc.
    The nuances of the law in most of LA would seem to indicate that as long as you are a "law abiding citizen" (as determined by the cop on the street) and you are not acting suspicious, whatever knife you have (preferably a normal knife carried in a normal way) is ok, sans switchblade.

For example, I have had a cop insist that I conceal a kabar before, even though technically I had been carrying it legally, and after I concealed it I was carrying illegally. As much as it may surprise certain people on here, I am not unnecessarily obstinate, and so I concealed it. I could have pushed the issue, but there was nothing to be gained by it, so I did not.

So, again- legally- carry whatever you want, as long as you do not demonstrate "an intent to conceal it."

In practice- carry something normal in a normal fashion and say "Yes, sir" to cops and you will be ok however you carry it.

I could quote chapter and verse and such, but my back hurts.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I will say this- I carry two CRKT M21 folders clipped to the carpenter pockets of my pants on my right thigh. They look normal enough, they are tough and sharp, and they can be identified as a knife (no intent to conceal). However, they are not scary looking. Best of all worlds. Totally legal, totally useful and accessible.

Anyway, just mentioning it.

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Ok, one more thing.

RS 14:95 Illegal carrying of weapons is where the law is. It says:

Illegal carrying of weapons is:
    (1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person... (etc.)

Those are vague statements, in certain ways. They were INTENDED to be that way. The legislature specifically intended that these should be jury questions. The idea is to make sure the "good guy" has reasonable doubt.

Ponder on that for a bit. That is the heart of the matter, if you chew on it long enough.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I've taken knives off of arrestees probably hundreds of times, I never bothered with it because frankly if your a red blooded american you need a knife, male or female they are just too useful to have.

Now, if we are contacting you because you attacked someone with that knife and you have it concealed when we contact you, you just used it as a dangerous weapon and can catch that charge as well as the agg. assault, or agg/2nd degree battery, or attempt murder depending on injuries.

its common sense stuff, watch Chris Rocks video "How to not get your ass beat by the police"

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What about if you are going into a courthouse/sporting event that has a metal detector and it catches your knife? Will they take it from you or can you have a knife in such places?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    What about if you are going into a courthouse/sporting event that has a metal detector and it catches your knife? Will they take it from you or can you have a knife in such places?

courthouse, definitely not. leave it in the car. about sporting events, i had my pocket knife with me when i went through a checkpoint at an atl braves game once and they didn't say crap. they were more set on making sure my cell phone wasn't a gun. :rolleyes:

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Sporting events are a toss up, i wouldnt risk it. On a side note should you visit the Empire State Building dont even bring a pair of nail clippers or they will be confiscated and not returned even on exiting the building. They even have a case that shows the assorted things confiscated over time. I just mention this as they took my 1 3/4" blade slimline pocket knife i really liked and always irritates me when i think about it it lol.

Papercut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2008
    is it illegal for a civilian to own a knife that has Louisiana State Police etched into the blade i.e. the CRKT M16 that a lot of the troopers have?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom