Knife in your pocket now.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I prefer to carry the CV blades because of the good patina and also I like the way they hold an edge.

I've found anything beyond Case's CV or most slippies with 1095 is just overkill. You can do a ton with a slipjoint, but you will experience a mechanical failure before steel like CV and 1095 will fail. I do enjoy all of my Victorinox knives, but I really wish they would introduce more carbon blades.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I've found anything beyond Case's CV or most slippies with 1095 is just overkill. You can do a ton with a slipjoint, but you will experience a mechanical failure before steel like CV and 1095 will fail. I do enjoy all of my Victorinox knives, but I really wish they would introduce more carbon blades.

Yeah, I know lots of people don't like the CV or carbon blades due to the extra upkeep. Some of mine I just let them patina naturally and some I stick in an apple for 24 hours or so and then wipe them with a steel wool and oil them.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Cases cv steel is impressive. Especially for the cost. It's one of my favorites.

I admit that my daily carries aren't that well cared for. I carry my Davisons and they are all either ats 34 or cpm154. I oil the joints with a little mineral oil cause they end up being used for food sometimes, and call it a day. I do like the lack of care needed. After I reprofile them, they don't get quite as sharp as easy as cv or 1095 but they def do the job. With less upkeep lol.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Cases cv steel is impressive. Especially for the cost. It's one of my favorites.

I admit that my daily carries aren't that well cared for. I carry my Davisons and they are all either ats 34 or cpm154. I oil the joints with a little mineral oil cause they end up being used for food sometimes, and call it a day. I do like the lack of care needed. After I reprofile them, they don't get quite as sharp as easy as cv or 1095 but they def do the job. With less upkeep lol.

Ever hard to sharpen M390 or CPM-3V?

It's like trying to sharpen a rock with a loaf of bread.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Ever hard to sharpen M390 or CPM-3V?

It's like trying to sharpen a rock with a loaf of bread.

I did. Actually didn't find it that bad. Didn't have to reprofile it (which probably wouldve been hard), only touch up, but wasn't too bad.

The m390 Shirogorov was one of the most impressive steels I have ever used. Followed closely by Shiro Elmax. Not too bad to touch up but I imagine a bear to reprofile.

I'm over the so called super steels now. I've learned that for all the pluses there are many minuses. And all are simply trying to recreate what's available easily in carbon steel just without the need for upkeep. The mid level steels like ats34, cpm154, Elmax, svn35 etc are all great steels and can do anything nearly any user needs. Who treats it plays a bigger part than what steel it is. I've has cheap steels work better than high dollar steels treated by someone who didn't know squat other than "wow it's xxx steel so it has to be good". Sometimes you even just get a bad one or from a bad batch from even good makers/heat treaters.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I agree.

If you want a razor, you need to be able to easily sharpen it.
    If you want a log splitter, you want something hard.

I like Emerson knives for many reason, but one reason is BECAUSE they use 154CM. My new Strider has CPM-154, and I find it's somewhat similar. I don't think I'll ever buy a folder with 3V or M390 again.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Yep. I use my Davison and one of the reasons I lpve them is they are all ats34 and cpm154, which is same alloy from two companies. I've read that 154cm is very very close to those two also. It's a solid, reliable steel, not too hard to treat and takes a good edge easily and holds it decently, getting a nice working edge that lasts for awhile. It does roll a little easier than a good carbon but I'll take that over the chipping problems of some "super" steels any day of the week. About 5 passed on the sharp maker and it's ideal again.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Another Davison. A friend had this one made and decided he wanted a new bike. I got a steal on it including the leftover material and carbon dating proof sheet.

3400 year old bog oak and D2 steel.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    im cheating

this is my knife in my pocket TOMORROW

since that's when it should arrive

Rike-Main-9010__09287.1463517599.1280.1280.jpg

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Who did you order from? I'm looking at a black one.

i ordered from knives ship free, $315 vs $350 in the handful of other places that have them

the tanto isnt usually my style but from what i gathered, the tanto is a limited run of 200 pieces total and i just liked the way it looks, want to try a tanto and wanted to try out the cts 204p blade the tanto run gets

Top Bottom