Knife in your pocket now.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Bs0YLmE.jpg
    [/IMG]

my CRK sebenza 25 has been slowly taking over the pocket. I was skeptical when I first bought it, $465 for a knife? A knife????

But I bought one, I vowed that it would be in my rotation, after all it would be even crazier to buy a knife like this and never use it. Sebs are made to be used.

What I didn't count on was that this knife would slowly take over the rotation to the point where there is no rotation. I manage at a restaurant and I bought a spyderco pacific salt recently for the kitchen environment and it has performed well. I didn't want the expensive knife exposed to all that at first. But recently I stopped caring about that also and have been carrying only this seb25. My other knives are no slouches, a mini grip, pacific salt, ZT 0350, but they just don't do it for me. I was real close to adding an emerson to the mix. I'll pass. I'm sure its a fine knife.

Still not sure how I feel about the price tag, but I'm pretty sure about the knife.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Eric, those are some fine knives. I love mine. Would be the last ones I would get rid of if needed. They are nearly perfect. Can do heavy chores if needed and still slice up am onion super fine as long as you care for it. Rides sweet in the pocket.

Really, if you calculate what your great grandfather spent on his Schrade/case/buck/etc, it was not cheap! Don't feel bad about the money. Are your kids still clothed and eating?

I wouldn't concern myself with the environment. Just wash it off good and keep the pivot oiled and the steel will be fine. The Ti will be OK no matter what.

Some. People don't care for how CRK hardens their steel. The go a little on the soft side. Personally, I love it. Still holds an edge for a good time yet isn't a bear to bring back the edge.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Eric, those are some fine knives. I love mine. Would be the last ones I would get rid of if needed. They are nearly perfect. Can do heavy chores if needed and still slice up am onion super fine as long as you care for it. Rides sweet in the pocket.

Really, if you calculate what your great grandfather spent on his Schrade/case/buck/etc, it was not cheap! Don't feel bad about the money. Are your kids still clothed and eating?

I wouldn't concern myself with the environment. Just wash it off good and keep the pivot oiled and the steel will be fine. The Ti will be OK no matter what.

Some. People don't care for how CRK hardens their steel. The go a little on the soft side. Personally, I love it. Still holds an edge for a good time yet isn't a bear to bring back the edge.

Beautiful knife Eric. SVT, what are your thoughts on the sebenza vs zaan for EDC?

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Chad, the sebenza 25 like mine kinda blends features, mainly a ceramic ball on the lock face which means the lock face just wont wear down like a sebenza 21. Also the 25 sports a sturdier pivot akin to the zaan. The knife is solid, but with CRK for EDC, i don't think you can go wrong.

SVT, yeah, i figured its a knife to be used, and they even ship them with the tools to take them apart. I just plain like carrying the CRK more than the others. Was not expecting it to take over. But thie knife is just perfect for my needs. Blade shape, jimmping, size, ergos, quality. The whole thing is just so well executed its hard not to carry it. I think in the end, i wont have a problem with the money as long as i use the knife. Thats the main reason why i sell off so many of my guns. If i dont use something, i just get rid of it and get something i think i might use. If not, its on to the next. I want to try a small seb21, insigno or tanto at some point.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Beautiful knife Eric. SVT, what are your thoughts on the sebenza vs zaan for EDC?

I've never owned or even handled a zaan. However, one reason I picked up the sebenza is how simple it is. The zt an, while I'm sure is an outstanding knife, is slightly more complex.

The real reason? I don't find it as aesthetically pleasing as the sebenza. Lol. Sorry but that's just my opinion. I'm certain the zaan is an incredible blade, and has a hell of a following..

Ask Tom. I think he has a zaan and has a least handle sebs

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    mainly a ceramic ball on the lock face which means the lock face just wont wear down like a sebenza 21.

Fiddlesticks. I've yet to find one single person who has worn the lock face down on a 21. You hear stories but no one will own up to it. Even some who borderline abuse theirs. I don't think it happens.

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    CRK did 8,000 aggressive wrist flicks to one, and it have very minimal wear. VERY MINIMAL! Lock up was still great, blade was centered.

Its nit picking, but I think its warranted for a roughly $400 knife.

I want a 21 none the less

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I've never owned or even handled a zaan. However, one reason I picked up the sebenza is how simple it is. The zt an, while I'm sure is an outstanding knife, is slightly more complex.

The real reason? I don't find it as aesthetically pleasing as the sebenza. Lol. Sorry but that's just my opinion. I'm certain the zaan is an incredible blade, and has a hell of a following..

Ask Tom. I think he has a zaan and has a least handle sebs

My handling a Seb involved picking it up, opening, and setting it back down.

Would that I could do a side by side comparison.

Blade.Forum has a Chris Reeves sub-forum where this question has been posed a number of times. Check there and, if you can't find the info you want, ask. Won't hurt.

I know they get extensive threads going when someone asks if the Seb is worth the money.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    After sitting in the safe for 3 weeks, this thing finally made it into my pocket today. For a minute. Then went quickly back in the safe. Maybe tomorrow... :rofl:

Protech Rockeye Auto custom, #36 of 40. It's so sharp every time I hit the button I start bleeding somewhere. :hs:

7e5ave9e.jpg

ysehuju8.jpg

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Picked up a package deal on some Shirogorov's. The blue/black carbon fiber (titanium liners) is a tarbagan 100ns. 100 mm blade length, axis lock locking by far the smoothest knife I've ever owned. It's pretty incredible. The other is an f3. 95mm blade length, carbon fiber scales, titanium liners liner lock. It is also very very smooth, morso than my sebbies or hinderer even. . I'm not sure which is my favorite.

My little orange Davison is always in my pocket also still, with these.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    csc-ag196pd.jpg

The Targagan is really a nice looking knife. Never heard of them. Let us know how it works out.

I'm a sucker for half-moons, esp with handles like this.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    csc-ag196pd.jpg

The Targagan is really a nice looking knife. Never heard of them. Let us know how it works out.

I'm a sucker for half-moons, esp with handles like this.

Holy crap that's gorgeous! What is it?

They are made by two brothers in Russia. Well respected overseas. I fell in love with blade shape. Fit and finish is up there therewith he best. And, like I said, smoothest knives I've owned. They do use imported steel. These are cronidur 30 (Swiss made, suppose do be very very corrosion resistant, tough and and abrasion resistant, more common in cooking knives).

Top Bottom