Knife, Machete or Axe? 2 of each of course!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claystreet

Mike
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Jersey
    This article is a re-post of which I wrote fo 1 magazine and 1 blog page. Hoe you enjoy it!
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I was asked by a friend whether I would choose a knife, machete or axe in a survival situation if I could only have one and why I would choose it. My immediate response was that it would depend on where I would be. He then throws out an outlandish scenario, something to the effect of the government conducting an experiment with me in an undisclosed location and I had to grab one of them in 10 seconds or leave empty handed. I told him the machete would be my choice then.

He looked a bit puzzled, frowned and commented on my numerous knives and the fact that I currently have only one machete and one axe. He was expecting me to say knife. Now he wanted a thorough explanation of my choice. “It is simple” I said, “A knife can not effectively do what an axe or machete can do. An axe can not effectively do what a knife or machete can do but a machete can do most of what an axe can do and all of what a knife can do”. I think I fried his brain at this point as one eye crossed and he started to stutter.

Machetes have been used throughout history as tools and weapons as have axes and knives. It is a known fact that a small knife can not do the work that a large knife can but the opposite is often true. Anyone who has ever attempted to split a fallen tree limb for fire wood or build a shelter with a small knife will attest to this fact. Turn a large hunting knife on to the task and you are making progress. Put a machete to good use and you will make short work of it. An axe or hatchet would work equally well for this job.

If you need to clean a fish or clean and skin an animal a small knife could get the job done with patience and effort. A large hunting knife will probably be more effective. A machete, while being much longer and a bit unwieldy for the task will prove effective and will easily chop through bone. Using an axe or hatchet for these tasks would scare me though.

Good luck cleaning your fish and game. Most axes and hatchets are not capable of being sharpened to the point that they will easily cut, as they are designed to chop. I would be looking for another option like a smashed rock with a sharp edge, bringing me back to the equivalent of a small knife. At least you could chop off the head with the axe. Fish with entrails and scales anyone?

Let’s look at it from a self defense perspective. If all I had to defend myself with was a small knife such as a Swiss Army “Executive”, I wouldn’t. I would just fist fight the aggressor. It would be a useless and hopeless endeavor that would most likely do little more than **** my opponent off, after he was done laughing so hard he had to pee. A hunting knife would be much more effective from the defensive and attack standpoint as well as being intimidating to most people.

A machete gives you the advantage of a lot more reach through a longer blade that can be sharpened to near razor sharpness, the ability to slash, stab, slap and swing it at your opponent as well as flip it over and use the unsharpened edge to put a serious but less lethal whooping on him that is capable of crushing bone and inflicting serious trauma without deep cutting. It is also intimidating as all hell and most people would rather choose flight than fight when faced with a machete.

An axe or hatchet could be a very formidable weapon but you are limited to swinging it or jabbing with it, effectively turning it into a heavy stick. You are vulnerable on the down swing, you can easily be assaulted before you get your second swing off if you miss the first time and it can be grabbed and snatched out of your hands by your opponent with relative ease.

As far as prices go even the smallest Swiss Army knives are in the $15.00 range. A decent axe is in the $20-$50.00 range. A good quality hunting knife is in the $40-$100.00 range. A cheap machete can be purchased for around $8.00 and a good quality machete for less than $30.00 in most places.

It is my opinion that dollar for dollar and pound for pound, a machete is the ultimate survivor’s tool. That is not to say all of the others, as well as blades not listed do not have their place. If you are on a tight budget or can only take one, take the machete!

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    +1 on a machete, I sharpen mine w/ a diamond stone, people are always surprised how well it slices through everything. I also really love my kukri knife.

claystreet

Mike
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Jersey
    The Kukris are very nice. Cold Steel makes excellent Kukris and for the budget minded folks they make a Kukri machete made from 1055 tool steel. It will stand up to any type of abuse you can put it through and hold a wicked sharp edge. For around $16 you just cant go wrong with it!

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Battle-Hawk2withDVD.jpg
    The GG&G BATTLE HAWK Tactical Tomahawk is an extreme use combat tool. In fact the original plant manufacturing designation code was CUT (COMBAT UTILITY TOOL). As can be seen by the overall geometry and aggressive multiple cutting edge head design, it is meant for aggressive use, very aggressive use. In addition to the head, the three inch Tanto shaped spike will definitely get the job done. The double contour of the handle and the fine weave G10KG Micarta scales, provide a positive and solid long and short grip for the user.

We chose Crucible S7 tool steel for the BATTLE HAWK tactical axe because it is shock resistant, high impact resistant and withstands chipping and breaking. The material is heat treated and hardened to Rc 56-58. It is meant to hold up to tough treatment. Although S7 is corrosion resistant, we powder coat the BATTLE HAWK combat tomahawk in four colors: Matte Black, Matte OD Green, Matte Desert Tan, and Matte Combat Gray. The Kydex sheath with Tek-Loc fastener is included and is only offered in black.

Special Added Bonus: The 38 minute training DVD created by the professionals at The Warrior School is now included at no extra charge with your purchase of the Battle Hawk military axe. This dynamic DVD includes straightforward combative techniques as well as crisis field demonstrations specific to the Battle Hawk including vehicle extractions and breaking through a cinder block wall. Close quarter combat experts Jeffrey Prather and Darin Ashley lead you step-by-step through over 80 lethal and non-lethal combat techniques with your Battle Hawk including fighting techniques against knife and bayonet attacks as well as sentry interdiction.

Top Bottom