Knife recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I'm about to partake in a 4 day primitive hunting technique class and will need a fixed blade knife. Would like to hear suggestions for one that will hold an edge for four days of string cutting and whittling but something not pricey. I know the Gun & Knife show is this weekend in Gonzales so maybe I can find something there? Thanks.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've heard real food things about swamp rat, and I love my esee, both will run you a buck and a quarter tho

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    KBAR
    KBar.jpg
    Or if you wanna go real primitive
    images

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    + 100 for a SEAL PUP

For the price, there really isn't anything better IMO. If you wanted to get fancy with it, you could get a TOPS, Emerson, Zero tolerance or something along those lines. But, a SOG is hard to beat, especially for the price.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I've been less than impressed with SOG's foreign made "cheap" stuff lately. I'm digging my new Swamp Rats, but they aren't really cheap ($150) and you're on your own for a sheath. :hs:

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Come down here for a day and make your own with my help. Cost will be the cost of materials. anywhere from 20$ up depending on steel and handle material choice.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Come down here for a day and make your own with my help. Cost will be the cost of materials. anywhere from 20$ up depending on steel and handle material choice.

Might take you up on that offer. I was mentioning to a friend I would like to learn more about shaping and sharpening a knife but making one would be even better.

I did end up getting a KA-BAR though, the real deal with NY stamped on the blade, not a Chinese/Taiwan made clone.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Might take you up on that offer. I was mentioning to a friend I would like to learn more about shaping and sharpening a knife but making one would be even better.

I did end up getting a KA-BAR though, the real deal with NY stamped on the blade, not a Chinese/Taiwan made clone.
    Let me know. Love seeing others make their first knife. I still carry mine all the time!

Top Bottom