KORTH revolver - initial range report/impressions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I've handled both the Korths and newer Manurhin M73 (beretta import).

The Korths seem to me a little fancier on the craftsmanship side. The M73 kinda gave me the oldschool Colt handfit/custom shop vibe.

The features just seem a little more refined on the Korth. Trigger seemed smoother on the ones I've passed across the counter top.

The m73 that I got to finger was the demo that was sent to TFBtv for review. The front sight was bent out of the box. Not too impressive for something of that pedigree.

We spoke with one of the main gunsmiths of Korth at the Nighthawk booth a couple Shotshows ago. The guy went into some good details about some of the parts are made and the attention that goes into them. So I guess that kinda sticks with me as well. It was impressive.

Are they worth it? Maybe if you want to splurge. I love fine and exclusive guns. But for me these would be further down on the list in that price range.

So to each his own, as always.... If you have the coin and you want a rare bird hand-built wheel gun. These are probably good options for you.
    I was basing my opinion solely off of research and never actually handling one. I trust this guys opinion so if he says the Korth is nicer than it probably is. TFBtv is where I first heard of the M73 and thought very highly of it. Either way you go I don’t think you’re getting a bad gun. Personally only thing I’d do differently is get one with a longer barrel because I’m not sticking a 3k+ gun in my pants every day. That’s what Glocks are for lol. Not to mention I carry a Glock 17 as is daily. I’m not a fan of smaller guns when duty sized pistols are so easy to conceal.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've been considering a Korth 357 for some time and now that they have a 3" model I'd like to add one to the collection. The thing is, I'm somewhat value orientated and I'm having a major issue convincing myself that they are worth north of $3500. Thats more than double the new 2020 Python. I would pay that for a nice vintage 3" Python but the Korth is still in production. What makes them worth the cost?
    A common rant on the interwebs is the argument that companies like Colt and Smith & Wesson don't put the same level of old-world craftsmanship into their guns that they used to. I don't personally buy into these arguments, but suffice to say that Korth makes guns the old-fashioned way, in a way that very few companies do now. In other words: if you want fastidiously-made-one-at-a-time revolver, that's the price of entry. It's why a nice Smith & Wesson revolver can still be had for three digits, while the Korth is solidly into four digits.

"Worth" is an entirely separate argument. Yes, you can go buy an off-the-shelf Smith & Wesson Model 66 or a new Colt Python and get 99% of the shooting value that you'll get out of the Korth—just the same as you can buy a Honda Civic or a Ford F150 and it'll get you to the grocery store and back just the same as a Ferrari.

But the trip in the Ferrari is a lot more fun—just as the range time with the Korth will be a lot more fun.

Here's a different way to spin it. Yes, the Korth is going to price in at right around four large, and that's a lot of quid to tie up in a single wheel gun. But there's a very good chance that you'd get just about every penny back out of it if you ever sold it. And unlike the S&W or the Colt (which will suffer from "new gun depreciation" the second you walk out of the store with them), the Korth will hold its value very reliably.

As an aside to all of this ... Nighthawk is the company that imports Korth now, and they're a top-notch company to deal with. I have three Nighthawk 1911s, and they'd probably be among the last guns I'd ever let go of. If you ever had to have the gun serviced, you'd be in very good hands with Nighthawk's crew taking care of you.

At the end of the day, the question you posed ("is it worth it?") is one that only you can answer. For that much quid, would you rather have one of the world's finest revolvers, or three midrange revolvers, or a half-dozen cheap revolvers? No wrong answer here.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    And when you do sell your $4k handgun here some day, maybe 10% of members here have that sort of pocket change to blow on it. There are a whole lot more guys here capable or willing of spending $800 or 900 for a really nice Ruger GP-100 revolver, than a high end $4000 unit. How many Q Honey Badger bolt action "pistols" do you see changing hands here on BS for $3000? Or $3000 Stacattos versus a Beretta M9 or a CZ Shadow 2?

Simple economics. Much easier to sell a $250,000 house than a $1,200,000 house.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    And when you do sell your $4k handgun here some day, maybe 10% of members here have that sort of pocket change to blow on it. There are a whole lot more guys here capable or willing of spending $800 or 900 for a really nice Ruger GP-100 revolver, than a high end $4000 unit. How many Q Honey Badger bolt action "pistols" do you see changing hands here on BS for $3000? Or $3000 Stacattos versus a Beretta M9 or a CZ Shadow 2?

Simple economics. Much easier to sell a $250,000 house than a $1,200,000 house.
    Totally agree - quite a few of my friends also have collections that have evolved over the last 50 years or so, upgrading here and there, until we end up with higher end guns that are indeed harder to sell. I am blessed with a son and grandsons who are gun guys so I don't have to worry about resale values. I only sell to get rid of duplicates or to make room in the vaults for something new (i.e. like selling a duplicate P88 to make room for the Korth!)

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And when you do sell your $4k handgun here some day, maybe 10% of members here have that sort of pocket change to blow on it. There are a whole lot more guys here capable or willing of spending $800 or 900 for a really nice Ruger GP-100 revolver, than a high end $4000 unit.
    I probably wouldn't list a Korth on BayouShooter. There are other forums where prospective buyers for those sorts of guns hang out.

Mike

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Korth and Python in the middle of the 3" 38/357 group: