Kydex Holsters and Skin

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I like kydex holsters for CC applications. I like the fit and security of it. I like the low profile of it and the fact that there isn't an inch of material that takes up the overall mass of the holster.
    However....I hate the feel of kydex against bare skin. It gets hot against my skin and sticks like glue.
    I don't ever wear an undershirt and hardly ever tuck my outer shirt, so there is always a part of the kydex material that touches my skin.
    Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
    I've thought about finding some fabric or felt with an adhesive backing to stick onto the holster that presses up on my body.
    Other than that idea, what other solutions do ya'll recommend for this wierd situation?

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I personally don’t have this issue. Kydex IWB holsters work great for me and I carry all day and work most of the day out in the heat with no undershirt. I carry at about the 3:00 position. Maybe try a different carry position and see if that helps? Or there’s always leather.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    How about stick-on moleskin? Not going to stop the grip from rubbing up against you, but you should be able to cover all of the exposed holster.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    How about stick-on moleskin? Not going to stop the grip from rubbing up against you, but you should be able to cover all of the exposed holster.
    Does it have an adhesive backing or is it just a tacky feel that temporarily stays on with friction?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Does it have an adhesive backing or is it just a tacky feel that temporarily stays on with friction?
    Yes.

I used it on my old holsters, but I found that getting better holsters worked better than adding moleskin to the holster.

What holster are you using? How is it attaching to your pants/belt? Are you using a wedge with it?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Gunzee. It's a pad that adheres to the back of the holster. Not something I have personal experience with but it looks like it fit might your needs

Hmmmm, does anyone else think they just clipped the corners on a mousepad? Going down the rabbit hole on this, someone on reddit said it looked like they cut up a cheap Wal-mart flip flop. :dogkeke:

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Sticky makes a comfort pad. cheaper than the mousepad and it's made to stick on the holster, which could be a plus or minus, I suppose.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Yes.

I used it on my old holsters, but I found that getting better holsters worked better than adding moleskin to the holster.

What holster are you using? How is it attaching to your pants/belt? Are you using a wedge with it?
    Not sure of the make of my holster but it is a simple iwb kydex holster with a metal belt clip. It kinda looks like a Betty kydex holster, actually.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Yes.

Attachments

• 20240123_134219.jpg
      20240123_134219.jpg
      556 KB · Views: 28
    • 20240123_134153.jpg
      20240123_134153.jpg
      700.2 KB · Views: 26

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Not sure of the make of my holster but it is a simple iwb kydex holster with a metal belt clip. It kinda looks like a Betty kydex holster, actually.
    You should try a more modern holster. I imagine it'd make concealing easier and more comfortable for you. What you're using is more or less late 90s/early 2000s tech and level of detail. Nowadays holster manufactures can make holsters that are just better all around.

Plenty of options out there, but two that I like are:

and

These are made by one of our members who is in the greater BR area.

With either, I'd go with the DCC clips and modwings.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I never cared for under shirts much at all before I started carrying years ago. Now I wear a wife beater daily as an undershirt because I don’t like how a cold Glock feels on my stomach when first putting it on in the morning. It’s worked well for me and has even provided me with emergency TP while in the woods. I’m a warm bodied individual and was very hesitant to wear any extra layer regardless of how thin it was. For me it’s the simplest solution to stopping a gun/ holster from rubbing on my bear skin throughout the day.

Also gives you more opportunity to take off your shirt and show off some of that hard earned muscle mass.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Austin is right, that is old kydex. Toss that one in the trash and upgrade, my friend. I’ll dig through my junk drawers, I might have one that fits your Shield. I’ll call you if so. I personally really like Tulster Kydex for my Shield 45. Seems to work the best for my body type. Also like Incognito Concealment a lot. Use them for my J- Frames.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    You should try a more modern holster. I imagine it'd make concealing easier and more comfortable for you. What you're using is more or less late 90s/early 2000s tech and level of detail. Nowadays holster manufactures can make holsters that are just better all around.

Plenty of options out there, but two that I like are:

and

These are made by one of our members who is in the greater BR area.

With either, I'd go with the DCC clips and modwings.
    When my "old" holster starts to aggravate me, I often switch the the Sticky holsters and it has no problem staying put under the pressure of a belt. However, it is low on securing the gun, being there is no belt clip and no retention other than the tacky feel....which does work, as long as I'm not tussling around and wrestling with someone or something.
    I will say that the Sticky Holsters are very comfy all day.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    When my "old" holster starts to aggravate me, I often switch the the Sticky holsters and it has no problem staying put under the pressure of a belt. However, it is low on securing the gun, being there is no belt clip and no retention other than the tacky feel....which does work, as long as I'm not tussling around and wrestling with someone or something.
    I will say that the Sticky Holsters are very comfy all day.
    You should try a new holster.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have a kydex holster from Kee. I had an old pair of jeans so I cut a piece to fit and used spray-on adhesive to attach it, then trimmed around the edges.
    New tech holsters don't require adding things to the back of them.

I recommend both of y'all look into more...modern solutions.

Top Bottom