LA Concealed -- or Not? (picture)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I got this picture from another forum. I think it is a good idea. But ....... is this considered concealed or not in LA?

carg.jpg

This guy is in Ohio and said it's NOT concealed there. How about LA?

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Not. But I used to carry mine like that in my truck and had it fall out and hit the ground in public more than once when opening the door. Not a very secure method.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Thought it was OK to put it anywhere you wanted in your car and none of it was considered concealed.

When mine is just in the truck/car, I prefer between the seat and console. Tuck it down out of sight if I exit the vehicle. Maybe in the door would be OK if I was a lefty.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Thanks for the replies. I'd expect that this is used only when in the vehicle because he has a CC permit and stated that when the wife was driving, he kept it in a holster on his person.

My thought was it was a good idea for a "quick fix" and that before exiting my own vehicle that I'd either stash it under the seat to prevent temptation for theft or put it in a holster before I got out. I have a van with a sort of table and not a console so putting anything between it and the seat would not work, I think. I might try a few options after getting a CCP and see if I can come up with a mix of options for being in and out of the van.

Actually, now that I think about it, a L/H holster that put everything inside the pocket on the door might work better. Or doing the same with a R/H holster (as pictured) so you could reach across with your right hand.

Of course, being left handed would be a whole lot better but this looks like it could suffice in a pinch...

Thanks again.

Last edited:

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Carrying in your vehicle is just as legal in this fine-just as it is to keep a weapon inside of your own home.

Treat it like a coconut air freshener and string up that piece and dangle it from your rearview mirror if you like. It's perfectly legal.

Dirty

operator223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Your car is an extension of your home in Louisiana so you can have it your way.... any way. I dont want anyone to see it when I open and close the door because as another said here it presents a theft problem at your home or apartment. If they see it, they WILL steal it for sure.

What I do is I have taken two of those large disc shaped rare earth magnets (very strong !) and glued them onto the dash down low approximately in front of the center console, then wrapped them with electrical tape. I just put my glock 21 on the magnets and it stay put REAL good and it wont slide or slop around..... and i can have it in an instant. Reholstering before I get out is a breeze. If you get magnets strong enough you can just stick them on the headliner above your head... they can hold very well with no glues and then you can just stick your glock up there... it wont go anwhere either.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA

Yep, still a common misconception.

operator223, I suggest you read up on Louisiana law before you give false facts. Louisiana has no laws banning concealing a weapon in your vehicle, but your vehicle is not an extension of your home. I suggest you use the search function here and research the topic.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    What I do is I have taken two of those large disc shaped rare earth magnets (very strong !) and glued them onto the dash down low approximately in front of the center console, then wrapped them with electrical tape. I just put my glock 21 on the magnets and it stay put REAL good and it wont slide or slop around..

Good idea but I remember reading that using extremely strong magnets could cause magnetization of the striker, especially in a Glock. Something you might want to search on and see what people have said about the use of magnets. Just a thought....

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    A cop pulls you over and you open your door with your gun like that... expect to have his pointed at you.

If pulled over (I am a very good driver... :D) wouldn't alerting the officer of the situation before opening the door and surprising him with your gun holstered on the door make this a bit less likely? Seems if you handle it properly you would prevent trouble, no?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    A gun entirely contained within a vehicle is a Louisiana constitutionally protected act not requiring a permit or license of any kind. Because of that, a gun may be contained anywhere in your vehicle except on your person unless you have a Concealed Handgun Permit.

That being said you SHOULD inform an Officer when aproached that you indeed have a weapon inside the vehicle, its location and if its Hot or Cold, it will make the stop that more easier to handle and 80% of the time the courtesy of you doing so will help YOU in the long run, eventhough now a days SOP is for driver to exit vehicle and come towards the front of patrol car, very few times they aproach the door any more.

I actually have a setup on my center console right next to my right knee, which allows me to access my weapon easier since I'm right handed. I put some Industrial strenght velcro on it and I have shaped a few "holsters" with kydex that only have the outter shell and velcro on the edges, this allows me to switch holsters inside the vehicle depending on the weapon I carry, etc etc etc

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    ...you SHOULD inform an Officer when aproached that you indeed have a weapon inside the vehicle, its location and if its Hot or Cold, it will make the stop that more easier to handle and 80% of the time the courtesy of you doing so will help YOU in the long run, eventhough now a days SOP is for driver to exit vehicle and come towards the front of patrol car, very few times they aproach the door any more.

I have NO problem alerting an officer should this situation arise. I am always nice to folks who have weapons and / or handle my food!!! :D This is what I would expect. Just seems like a very good idea.

I actually have a setup on my center console right next to my right knee, which allows me to access my weapon easier since I'm right handed. I put some Industrial strenght velcro on it and I have shaped a few "holsters" with kydex that only have the outter shell and velcro on the edges, this allows me to switch holsters inside the vehicle depending on the weapon I carry, etc etc etc

Now that's an idea! The little tray / table thing in my van precludes a holster between the table and the seat. BUT ....... a holster Velcroed to the top of the table with a pistol inside is something to think about! Thanks for that. And my CCP is in the works....

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    As a review of the Miami FBI shootout shows, keeping your handgun anywhere other than in a holster, on your person (while in a car or truck), is a particularly bad idea.

You could get into a wreck. The gun could be thrown all over the place. You could need it when you get out. You might need to exit the vehicle in a big hurry.

It takes little imagination to come up with many scenarios where you would be better off having the gun ON you than just IN the vehicle.

Don't imagine what you will do when everything goes your way. Imagine what you will do when everything goes wrong -- because it probably will.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I have never had any problem with traffic stops; but, I am an old man and am very polite with everyone.

My son-in-law, an ophth, opthal, otph; eye surgeon in Dallas, shortly after getting his Texas CHL, was pulled over by the Plano, TX, P.D. for speeding; both officers with drawn weapons, he was forced face-down on the road shoulder, cuffed, and roughed-up. He claims that he told them up-front that he was unarmed, no weapon in car. He is a well-dressed, well-spoken, non-threatening individual.

It takes just a few bad apples to give all LEO's a bad name.

leVieux

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA

Conversely, I just was told this by a friend who lives in Mississippi (where you don't need formal class for a CCP). He was stopped for speeding both in Baton Rouge and in Laurel, MS. He has a CCP and both times he handed the officer his license AND his permit. Both times he was let off with a warning only.

Just nice cops? Or did the CCP have anything to do with it? He wasn't told (I guess they wouldn't have told him the CCP helped him...) and doesn't know, for sure, but he found it interesting.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    I have never had any problem with traffic stops; but, I am an old man and am very polite with everyone.

My son-in-law, an ophth, opthal, otph; eye surgeon in Dallas, shortly after getting his Texas CHL, was pulled over by the Plano, TX, P.D. for speeding; both officers with drawn weapons, he was forced face-down on the road shoulder, cuffed, and roughed-up. He claims that he told them up-front that he was unarmed, no weapon in car. He is a well-dressed, well-spoken, non-threatening individual.

leVieux

Maybe something didn't Look right to them.

Sorry...

:p

Top Bottom