LA files law stating Federal Gun Control Law will not be upheld

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Look, I am glad we have cops. I support and respect what they have to do. And any time someone prefixes a post with statements like that, you know they're about to say something anti-cop, and this may be one of those.

When it comes to gun rights... it very much is "us vs them" - sorry, that's how we've been played. That's how the gun grabbers see it, and so that's the fight we have to face. You have to remind and reaffirm to society that "good people" is not just cops and you have to admit that not all cops are "good people". "Good people" with guns are the best thing for a safe society. "Good people" needs to stop being defined as "government employed" as if that's some Papal decree of holy order. Actually, considering current controversies, maybe the Papal comparison is appropriate...

Driving a wedge between "police" and "other people" is a step in the wrong direction.

I'd rather go one more year without good-guys being able to carry guns in my kid's school (random example) with higher hopes of getting equal liberty later. I would rather not sell off liberty and continue us down a more tyrannical path one more step in hopes of some touted sense of security.

Sorry, I've seen cops shoot. Most suck dick. I was well out-shot by a cop the last class I went to, but out-shot another by far, and I was on one of my worst days in a long time. I've read the statistics. I've seen the news. I have no hopes that cops will be all that helpful other than providing the "initial confrontation" that most mass shooters use as the time to 'off themselves'.

The average joe is not much better, but slightly is. This isn't about putting "someone" in in there with a gun. It's about the best step or direction toward getting /me/ to be able to be armed where I go. I can only trust myself. I don't support anything that puts me in a position to "hope" the guy they /allowed/ to be armed in the area is good at what he does. I have little reason to expect that turns out in my favor.

Last edited:

DiggerP

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Well put Mr. JNieman.

The key to HB-6 is that it applies to OFF-DUTY police officers. An off-duty police officer is a citizen -- no more, no less.

This bill is a wedge. It appeals to emotion rather than principles. How could someone NOT want a police officer protecting the children?

But that's not the bill. A police officer can carry NOW while on duty. This bill tries to recognize rights for a select group after they leave their daily duty.

What if I work a clerical position with a badge at JPSO? If I am retired military should I also be allowed? How about if I teach urban, home and business defense? Ju-Jitsu?

I have a great respect for LEO's. It is a job that I choose not to do and I respect the men and women that can do it everyday. I especially respect those that are professionals and do it well. Once off duty though, a LEO is no greater (nor less) than any other US Citizen. They are not afforded special access to the Bill of Rights by virtue of their "day" job. The Second Amendment and the rights provided to me as a human being were recognized at the founding of this Country no matter the daily profession.

This bill is an emotional appeal purporting to give a portion of rights back that wasn't to be taken in the first place -- and saying we should be satisfied with that. I see it as someone stealing my TV and my stereo and then offering one back saying "Here, at least you have something." That may be a legal or business strategy, but the Bill of Rights has already been paid for by braver men than me. I'm not willing to negotiate it again.

If something bad is happening to my children I do not search out an off-duty police officer. I don't look to my neighbors and others first (although I do appreciate their support and help). That first duty lies with ME if I am there -- and then with all good citizens that are there.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Digger and JNieman. Excellent posts. They very eloquently sum up my feelings on this subject. Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom