LA Firearm FAQs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You can start with the standard questions.

1. Are permits required to purchase a firearm? No.
    2. Are firearms registered with the state? No.
    3. Can I keep a gun in my car? Yes.
    3.1. On a school campus? Yes.
    3.2. On the seat next to me? Yes.
    3.3. Hanging from the rearview mirror? Yes.
    3.4. Loaded? YES!
    4. Can I carry a gun on my person? Yes and no.
    4.1. Openly? Yes.
    4.2. Concealed? With a permit.
    4.3. In a purse? With a permit.
    5. Do I have to be 21 to buy a gun? Yes and no.
    5.1. From a dealer? 21.
    5.2. From a friend? 18.
    6. Do I have to report a stolen firearm? No.
    7. Do I have to keep my gun locked in a vault? No.
    8. Can I loan my gun to a friend? Yes.
    9. My friend wants to sell me his gun. Do I have to go through a dealer? No.
    10. Can I buy a gun out of the paper without a dealer? Sure.
    11. I thought silencers were illegal. Why does aroundlsu have one? Because he's really Jason Bourne.

I could go on and on for you.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Feel free to expand upon and/or correct my answers. I'm just writing these out off the top of my head from the questions or misconceptions I hear all the time.

12. How long does my rifle barrel need to be? 16"
    12.1. But I saw someone at the range with a shorter one. Was it legal? Yes. It was an NFA weapon.
    13. How long does my shotgun barrel need to be? 18"
    13.1. But I saw someone with a super short shotgun at the range. Was it legal? Yes. It was an NFA weapon.
    14. What's an NFA weapon? Silencers, short barrel rifles and shotguns, machine guns, destructive devices, and other weapons.
    15. Can I buy one? Sure.
    15.1. OK, how? Google it.
    16. Are "high capacity" mags legal? Yes.
    17. I have a felony conviction. Can I possess a gun? No.
    17.1. My ex-wife/girlfriend/roommate has a restraining order against me. Can I possess a gun? No.
    17.2. I was convicted of beating my wife. Can I possess a gun? No.
    17.3. What if I get my wife to buy it? No.
    18. Should I carry hollow points in my pistol? Yes.
    18.1. But someone said hollow points look bad to a jury. Is that true? No.
    19. Should I buy a revolver or a semi-auto pistol? That's up to you.
    19.1. But I thought you were the expert? OK, get the semi-auto.
    19.2. What kind? That depends.
    19.3. Why won't you just give me a straight answer? OK, get an HK.
    19.4. HKs are too expensive! OK, get a Glock.
    19.5. This Glock has no safety! OK, get a Springfield XD.

Last edited:

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    I have a question to add to the list. Ok, its already on the list but a bit more specific. I know that I can sell a long gun to anyone I feel like but what about a handgun? I have a friend that wants to purchase my Walther P22 so his younger brother can learn to shoot and I am willing to sell it. He is 21 so its legal there but what about paperwork? Is there any paperwork required to sell a handgun privately?

I trust him completely and all that jazz just wondering if there is any legal backlash that could come from selling a handgun without the proper paperwork.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    No paperwork required for a face to face transfer when both parties are residents of Louisiana. Also, the age for a face to face transfer is 18+. Dealer transfers are 21+.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Unless of course his younger brother is a felon. Then it becomes a straw purchase and you go to jail too...

If he's buying it for his younger brother, then sell it to the brother...

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Unless of course his younger brother is a felon. Then it becomes a straw purchase and you go to jail too...

If he's buying it for his younger brother, then sell it to the brother...

His brother is 13... he is buying it so his brother can learn how to shoot on it. I understand that you are just covering all bases... but seriously :doh:

rightofway

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    i read in the revised statutes that NFA weapons have to be registered with DPS, yet DPS doesn't mention anything on the website about it. is there a form that they just don't tell people about?
    RS 40:1783 said:
    §1783. Registration with department of public safety

Every person possessing any firearm shall register with the department the number or other mark identifying the firearm, together with his name, address, and place of business or employment, the place where the firearm is usually kept, and, if the person is other than a natural person, the name and home address of the executive officer thereof having control of the firearm and the name and home address of the person having actual possession thereof.
    RS 40:1781 said:
    PART II. REGISTRATION

§1781. Definitions

For the purpose of this Part, the following terms have the meanings ascribed to them in this Section
    (3) "Firearm" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length; a rifle having a barrel of less than sixteen inches in length; any weapon made from either a rifle or a shotgun if said weapon has been modified to have an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; any other firearm, pistol, revolver, or shotgun from which the serial number or mark of identification has been obliterated, from which a shot is discharged by an explosive, if that weapon is capable of being concealed on the person; or a machine gun, grenade launcher, flame thrower, bazooka, rocket launcher, excluding black powder weapons, or gas grenade; and includes a muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not the firearm is included within this definition. Pistols and revolvers and those rifles and shotguns which have not previously been defined in this Paragraph as firearms from which serial numbers or marks of identification have not been obliterated are specifically exempt from this definition
    (i'm under 21 so it'll be a year or so before i can use this info, but it's something that peaked my interest)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yes, there is a form that is downloadable from their website. There are actually two forms; a transfer form and then a registration form. You need to send a copy of the approved transfer form along with your Form 4 to the ATF. Your dealer will submit the transfer form. You are responsible for submitting the registration form.

I don't have the links in front of me but will add them when I get home. The Concealed Handgun Section at the State Police HQ handles the paperwork.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    IIRC, i read in the La statutes that a felon could own a firearm after 10 years had passed from serving his/her time. I don't remember exactly where I found it, but do remember it. This is just La I'm talking about. I know under federal law one can never own one again. I found this rather strange, so which law supersedes which??

Although none of this will really matter after obama gets finished...:eek3::squint:

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I was told that a second DUI conviction within 10 years of teh first was an exception to the no felony rule???

How about buying a minor a shotgun as a gift? I bought my son a 20ga. last Christmas, and am going to buy my g/f's daughter one this Christmas. What about if Santa brings it instead of me? :rofl:

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    You can start with the standard questions.

1. Are permits required to purchase a firearm? No.
    2. Are firearms registered with the state? No.
    3. Can I keep a gun in my car? Yes.
    3.1. On a school campus? Yes.
    3.2. On the seat next to me? Yes.
    3.3. Hanging from the rearview mirror? Yes.
    3.4. Loaded? YES!
    4. Can I carry a gun on my person? Yes and no.
    4.1. Openly? Yes.
    4.2. Concealed? With a permit.
    4.3. In a purse? With a permit.
    5. Do I have to be 21 to buy a gun? Yes and no.
    5.1. From a dealer? 21.
    5.2. From a friend? 18.
    6. Do I have to report a stolen firearm? No.
    7. Do I have to keep my gun locked in a vault? No.
    8. Can I loan my gun to a friend? Yes.
    9. My friend wants to sell me his gun. Do I have to go through a dealer? No.
    10. Can I buy a gun out of the paper without a dealer? Sure.
    11. I thought silencers were illegal. Why does aroundlsu have one? Because he's really Jason Bourne.

I could go on and on for you.

:rofl::rofl:Bourne:)

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    From the first post i learned that it is legal to carry a loaded gun in your vehicle. Can it be concealed if you do not have a concealed carry permit? Do you have to be 18 or 21 to posses in your vehicle?

Top Bottom