LA hunter education course

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I'm not a hunter, never been. But now I an a little interested in it. Interested enough to take the required course to get a license. Not sure if I'll ever go hunting, but I figure passing the course will not only allow me to get a hunting license if I ever want to, but the knowledge itself can only make me a better well rounded gun owner.
    Anyway, I have a couple of questions about the course. What should I expect on the second day, the field day? How and what are you graded on on? Are you required to bring your own firearm for the live practice? What is the live practice? Anything else I should know about to prepare me? Thanks.

Last edited:

tonen123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Central, La
    I did my hunters safety here in baton rouge. The second day we just shot clay. 3 shots. Nothing really graded, just familiarizing people with a gun and how to aim. It was a 20 gauge. The test are real easy. I believe before I went to the class they had us do a class online so that cut back alot of the class time. The online training was everything you needed to know for the test.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Thanks for the info. After I posted here, I did some more searching and came across a FAQ on the state's site. No need to bring a rifle. It actually says to just bring a black ink pen.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    I did my hunters safety here in baton rouge. The second day we just shot clay. 3 shots. Nothing really graded, just familiarizing people with a gun and how to aim. It was a 20 gauge. The test are real easy. I believe before I went to the class they had us do a class online so that cut back alot of the class time. The online training was everything you needed to know for the test.

Really?? When I took the Florida Hunter Safety course, we got to shoot a revolver, a semi-auto pistol, a shotgun, a muzzle-loading black powder rifle, and a recurve bow. :bigok:

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    In Louisiana there is a new law stating that if you are hunting with someone who has a hunters education certification you are good to go. You can't leave their side.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Thanks everyone. I went ahead and signed the boy and myself up for a class in Houma on the first week of April. Gonna learn us some stuff.

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    They provide the gun. Second day is either a .22 at a target or a shotgun and skeet.
    Doesn't matter how you shoot on the paper or if you hit any skeet. They just watch that you keep the barrel in a safe direction and keep the gun on safety until it's time to shoot then put it back on safety.

chris292227

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Do the book part online then show up for the field part with just an ink pen. If you're a veteran then just bring your DD-214 with you hunting or to the Baton Rouge main office and you don't have to worry about the safety class.

hbaublit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Lafayette LA
    Do the book part online then show up for the field part with just an ink pen. If you're a veteran then just bring your DD-214 with you hunting or to the Baton Rouge main office and you don't have to worry about the safety class.
    If you take the online part you still have to take the test on the field day, the class is free but you have to pay for the online class. IMO it's better to just sit through the whole thing , who knows you might learn something.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    I remember taking the course in 1994. I was eight years old at the time and passed. The funny thing is that some of the "adults" in the class could not pass the written portion. :rofl:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom