LA lifetime hunting license- truly lifetime?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    Hey,

I'm looking to verify information regarding the lifetime hunting license. I've read that a driver's license is required to apply for the lifetime hunting/fishing license. What about a person who doesn't drive and just has a state id, or even what about the lifetime license for children who obviously don't have either?

Secondly, if I got one then moved to another state would I still be able to come back to Louisiana to hunt with the lifetime license? Would I be in violation if they ask to see my id and it shows that I've moved?

Seems like a waste to buy now then forfeit the license if I move out of state next year. thanks.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    i know several people who bought there lifetime before they moved out of state and it is stil valid. i think i remember something that it may disqualify you from getting a resident license in another state, but im not positive.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    It is lifetime and it is always valid no matter where you move to. There is some tax documents required (can't remember what, W2 maybe). It's worth it. They find something new to charge us for every so often so it's best you lock it in. Who knows a normal yearly liscensce will probably cost $200 5 years from now. You can call the main office and they will tell you what you need.

Last edited:

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have a lifetime hunting and fishing license for myself as well as my son. It is valid even if we move out of state. Best deal around, $500. I was spending $90 per year for all of my licenses as it was so it is an easy payout in 6 years for me.

I do not think that it disqualifies you from getting a resident license in another state, so long as you have a drivers license from that state.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    I and my son have a Lifetime combo licenses. You do retain resident hunting rights for life no matter where you live. If you become a resident of another state you can apply for your lifetime or regular license there as long as you meet the resident requirements. Once you have it you are good to go.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Bought all three of my boys their combos before they turned 4. Only 200 each if you do it before they are four. They are good for their life even if they move out of state.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Had mine (combo) since 99. There have been several licensing requirements added since then- but lifetime licensees are grandfathered in on any additional costs. It may take a few years- but it will pay for itself.

And yes- getting one for a child is very smart, indeed.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    They were very helpful when I called them in the past with random questions (prior to getting mine. I would think you could call for the ID vs License question (225) 765-2887

Required documents for applicants eighteen and older
    • Copy of a valid Louisiana Driverʼs License issued a minimum of twelve months and ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    • Copy of applicantʼs current Louisiana voterʼs registration card
    • Copy of Louisiana vehicle registration in applicantʼs name, if the applicant is married, and vehicle registration is in spouseʼs name, copy of marriage
    license must accompany the application
    • Copies of applicantʼs Louisiana state resident personal income tax return (form IT-540) for the two filing periods immediately prior to the date of
    application, these tax returns must be stamped “received” by the Department of Revenue

Required documents for applicants under the age of eighteen
    • An original certified birth certificate with a raised seal from the Department of Health (Birth certificate will not be returned)
    • Copy of both parents Louisiana driverʼs license

daxt79

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    What about a person who doesn't drive and just has a state id, or even what about the lifetime license for children who obviously don't have either?

I bought one for my 5 year old & they sent me a certificate stating that I purchased a lifetime license for him. I can't redeem the licence until he takes the hunters saftey course which will be when he's a teenager.

If I remember right Louisiana law doesn't require a license until your 16 anyway.

Last edited:

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am glad I saw this thread. I don't hunt, but I do fish, and I am moving to Florida in a few months, and I will be there for a few years, but I can get my Lifetime Fishing license now for $300, and it will save me from spending $90 a year to come back and fish a few times a year, then if I don't move back to LA after I am done with FL, it will save me ever more. I will have to try and keep this topic floating around in my mind, so I can jump on it while I have some money to spare!

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I am glad I saw this thread. I don't hunt, but I do fish, and I am moving to Florida in a few months, and I will be there for a few years, but I can get my Lifetime Fishing license now for $300, and it will save me from spending $90 a year to come back and fish a few times a year, then if I don't move back to LA after I am done with FL, it will save me ever more. I will have to try and keep this topic floating around in my mind, so I can jump on it while I have some money to spare!
    You should do it asap. iirc, it takes a few months (unless something has changed).

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    How'd your son get the license? are there different documents for adults and children? thanks

oops, I see he answer in the later posts.

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    The "nonresident lifetime hunting & fishing license" is for residents of another state who want to buy a lifetime license in LA. It costs $3000 for them instead of $500 for residents

Top Bottom