LA req. for Bails Bond and Bounty Hunter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Lately I have watched a lot of tv shows related to Bounty Hunters and Bail Bonds. What are our State Requirements for each, and what do they have to do to be able to operate???? Thanks guys.

Psychic Bacon

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 17, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Eight hour prelicensing class > licensing test > (theoretically) go to work. Every other year a twelve hour continuing education course.

Bail Bond Agents and Bounty Hunters have the same license from the state department of insurance.

It's very similar to the way folks on here compare getting a CHP to getting a driver's license: the class teaches you the bare minimum, the test makes sure you know the bare minimum.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    No wonder, the guys on tv don't seem to have ever finished up high school so I figured there had to be a bare minimum requirement for them to operate. I guess pretty similar rules apply to it like a CHP, no convicted felons, etc etc etc

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    No wonder, the guys on tv don't seem to have ever finished up high school so I figured there had to be a bare minimum requirement for them to operate. I guess pretty similar rules apply to it like a CHP, no convicted felons, etc etc etc

That's where you are wrong....

If you are watching that show "Dog the Bounty Hunter", he is a convicted felon!

Here is just a snippet of what he's done:

On February 28, 1976 in Pampa, Texas Chapman was charged and convicted of DWI.

Also in Pampa, Texas on September 16, 1976 he was charged with Homicide. On August 18, 1977 he began serving a five-year sentence and paroled on January 31, 1979. His parole was terminated on December 20, 1980.

No mention is made in his Texas criminal record of arrest or convictions for armed robbery though Chapman claims to have been arrested 18 times for armed robbery. However, he does have two more DWI’s, Burglary, Possession of Burglar Tools, etc.

August 21, 2002 complaints were filed against Chapman for Obstructing a Peace Officer and Disorderly Conduct-Unreasonable Noise (case number 2002M 003004) in Adams County, Colorado court. On 12-12-02 the DA dismissed the obstructing complaint. He pled guilty to the disorderly and received a fine totaling $386.00, inclusive of court costs, etc.

On January 25, 2000 in the Denver County Court he was charged with Disturbing the Peace and Assault (case number 00GS933296); both cases dismissed on 5-15-02.

In the same court on 5-28-99 he was charged with a Seat Belt Violation (imagine that!). He pled guilty and paid a fine totaling $68.11, inclusive of court costs, etc.

On 3-5-98 he was charged with Threats To Person/Property (case number 98GS915487) and entered a not guilty plea. No disposition is listed.

On 10-09-97 Mr. Chapman was complained against for Disturbing The Peace and Assault. He pled not guilty. No disposition of the matter is listed.

In the same court on 8-25-99 he was charged with Violation of Court Orders (case number 99GS807757). He then posted a $500.00 bond and was released. On 9-10-99 he FAILED TO APPEAR! I don’t know the outcome of the case. It is listed that he pleaded not guilty and the case is closed without any additional information.

Again in the same court on 8-15-90 he was charged with Threats To Person/Property and Disturbance By Use Of Phone (case number 90GS012017). He requested a jury trial and the case eventually wound down to nothing.

From the court records Mr. Chapman has several listings under ‘height’ as being 5’0”, 5’2”, 5’5”, 5’7” and even one listing as 5’11”. His ‘weight’ is listed as ranging from 100 lbs. to 205 lbs. What is he, rubber man?

In the Jefferson County, Colorado Court on 12-21-97 Mr. Chapman was charged with Failure To Present Proof Of Insurance, Use Of Vehicle Without Registration and Driving With License Expired (case number 1997T 015610). On 7-29-98 he pled not guilty to the failure to present proof of insurance, then changed his plea to guilty and received a fine. He pled not guilty on the remaining two complaints and the DA ultimately dismissed them.

In Jefferson County, Colorado on 10-9-98 he was charged with Forcible Entry and Detainer (case number 1998C 011706). Not guilty plea entered and the case was dismissed by DA on 1-15-99.

In the Denver County Court on 5-18-88 he was charged with Threats To Person/Property (case number 88GS723787). Not guilty plea entered. No disposition listed.

In the same court on 10-10-88 complaints were filed for Disturbing The Peace, Disorderly Intoxification and IMPERSONATING AN OFFICER. All he received was a fine totaling $91.00.

Also in the Denver County Court on 9-12-88 a complaint was filed against him for Disturbing The Peace (case number 88GS883457). He entered a not guilty plea and the case was continued without a finding.

On 1-10-02 charges were filed against Beth Smith, a/k/a Alice E. Barmore, in the Jefferson County Court (case number 2002CR000080) for Extortion-Unlawful Act (2 counts), False Imprisonment (2 counts), Forgery-Check/Commercial Instrument and Obstructing Government Operations. Her co-defendant, Mary Angell, was also charged with the same complaints except for the obstruction charge and had an additional charge of Forgery 2.

All charges on Ms. Barmore were dismissed by the DA except for obstructing government operations (misdemeanor); she pled guilty and received a fine of $750.00 plus court costs and a $25.00 fee for to make the fine in installment payments. It is rumored part of the agreement with the DA was she would surrender her bail license in Colorado, much to the relief of real bail agents with whom she always argued with, swore at and threatened. She is perhaps the most despised person in the bail industry.

The charges against Ms. Angell were dismissed except for Forgery 2. She received a sentence of court fees and related costs totaling $155.00, one (1) year suspended jail sentence and fifty (50) hours of community service. It has been suggested she also had her bail license suspended for one year but that is unverified. She is infamous for threatening law suits but she fails to recognize there is no law suit when facts are recorded and shared with the media. Besides, there are many in the field that would love to file a counter suit against that, er… woman. Think the media would exploit that aspect? They sure would!

Barmore has appeared in the Denver County Court in years 1994, 1996, 1998 and 1999 facing charges of Assault (two times), Disturbing The Peace, Threats To Person/Property and Disobedience to Lane Assignment.

Kidnapping Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 18-Jun-2003
    False Arrest Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 18-Jun-2003
    Conspiracy Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 18-Jun-2003

The investigation is continuing.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Damm so how can this cat have a "badge" with that freaking record???? No wonder they carry pepper ball guns and maze lol

What badge? That "Bounty Hunter Badge"? That thing is only as good as it looks and for 15 bucks, you too can buy one at a gun show...

The whole crew is nothing but convicted felons..

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What badge? That "Bounty Hunter Badge"? That thing is only as good as it looks and for 15 bucks, you too can buy one at a gun show...

The whole crew is nothing but convicted felons..

Convicted felons? You sure? They all look so "normal".
    l_3a9243abd9282028940e6c640b73c96c.jpg

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I figured those badges had some sort of license number on it to make them legit, the entire reasson why I started wondering was because my ex has a friend who's husband has a louisiana lisence and the cat looks pretty damm trashy to the point that I would not walk on the same sidewalk as him but yet he's got a bail bond/ bounty hunter badge on his belt.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I figured those badges had some sort of license number on it to make them legit, the entire reasson why I started wondering was because my ex has a friend who's husband has a louisiana lisence and the cat looks pretty damm trashy to the point that I would not walk on the same sidewalk as him but yet he's got a bail bond/ bounty hunter badge on his belt.

While I'm sure that there are some 100%legit Bondsmen and Bail Agents, I have never meet one. I have had to deal with some of the problems they cause by acting on the border of the law.

That said, they do perform a neccessary service. Without bounty hunters, there would be no bail bondsmen. Without Bailbondsmen, there would be no bail. Most people would most likely sit in jail until their trial.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    IIRC their "powers" are pretty broad too. Could be wrong, but I think that since the accused already has warrant out on them, and acting as the bondsman's agent, they can:

break down doors w/o warrant
    cross state lines
    enlist LEO's as needed

Don't remember all the details and my info is somewhat dated but the gist of the matter was they can go as they please and do as they please within reason (can't kill you and walk away for instance). They own you...kind of.

Because YOU said you would appear in court...and didn't.

PLEASE somebody chime in here if the laws have changed or I am off my memory. (wouldn't be the first time :) ).

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    IIRC their "powers" are pretty broad too. Could be wrong, but I think that since the accused already has warrant out on them, and acting as the bondsman's agent, they can:

break down doors w/o warrant
    cross state lines
    enlist LEO's as needed

Don't remember all the details and my info is somewhat dated but the gist of the matter was they can go as they please and do as they please within reason (can't kill you and walk away for instance). They own you...kind of.

Because YOU said you would appear in court...and didn't.

PLEASE somebody chime in here if the laws have changed or I am off my memory. (wouldn't be the first time :) ).

Not realy, they make the suspects sign a contract and list thier address(s) and the contract says they can use force to arrest them at these adresses.

lefty

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Hattiesburg, MS
    you can get your ass in alot of trouble depending on what state lines you cross!

yes we can revoke your bond at anytime for any reason we want and no you dont get a refund.

no we dont get to list leo's as needed we can request an officer put unless he has a warrant and the agency has a really slow day you probably arent gonna get any help.

and yes there are alot more shaddy people in the business then some of the more professional people like to admit.

on the felony thing it just depends on what state your in for their requirements, in MS you cannot be a felon and be in the bail bonds business.

say what you want about dog but he gets the job done, then again most of the time they are on an island, not like you have to worry about them going to far!

Top Bottom