Ladies and gentlemen, the .45 CCW BUG we've all been looking for is here.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Resounding pass.

Based on the "Aerospace Technology Firearms" and "Tactical Pocket Pistol" alone... :mamoru: Sound products don't need crazy marketing -- Glock "perfection" not withstanding, of course.

For what it is, it's cool. But... WTF is it, and WhoTF needs it? It's only ~6 ounces lighter than the Kahr CW45, and so thin that I don't care what type of ergonomics it's offering-- it's not going to be easy to shoot, well... or at all.

Color me jaded, but what some may call a "niche filler", I often call a gimmick. :dunno:

sealthedeal

charliepapa jr.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    why not this?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/springfield-armory-xds/

actualsize.jpg

Last edited:

Brian22

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well I think it looks fun... at that size, you could carry 3-4 of em at once and run around killing zombies stab-shoot style like a bau5. Would like to see accuracy at say 5m too.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    It will be more accurate than you can hold it; trust me on that.;)

But if I were you, I'd do myself a BIG favor and compare this thing alongside a Glock 36 before making my decision. From the specs, it would APPEAR that the Serbo Croat Special is a bit smaller. What you have to decide is whether or not you're willing to lose one round capacity (from already slim pickings) and be a beta tester, in exchange for that bit of less bulk.

The G36 has had its problems, but they are pretty well sorted out now. And while the other guns in the XD line appear to be reliable, I would regard this one the same as I would any new design from any company (except HK, of course:D ); with suspicion.

Also keep in mind the fact that, because of the really short barrel, you're going to have to carry +P ammunition to ensure you're getting enough punch from your ammo. IMO, this applies to any .45 with less than a five-inch barrel. I suspect this critter will be quite a handful with +P .45 ACP ammunition. I know my HK45C certainly is, and its rather more substantial in the grip area... ditto the G36.

IOW, that thinness is wonderful for carry... but you pay for it in shootability.

Personally, I feel that the HK45C and M&P 45C are the practical "lower limit" for a carry pistol in .45. Much of that opinion is due to capacity; these guns hold eight+1, while the G36 and P245 hold 6+1. This new Springfield lowers that bar even further; 5+1.

But "shootability" enters into it as well. The HK45C and M&P 45C are excellent compromises of size vs ergos. The M&P has one of the best grips I've ever tried; ever. I can handle either pistol as well as any full size gun.

The others... well, let's say that a bit more effort is required to hang onto them; the P245 especially. I can only assume that this new Springfield offering will be "worse" in this regard.

But don't worry about inherent accuracy. All of them have it. PRACTICAL accuracy (what YOU can do with the gun) is what matters.

That is kind of what I was thinking as well, just not nearly as eloquently written. I may be just to small for it to be practical. As I said, this is something that I absolutely would have to shoot, for myself, before I would ever purchase it.

BTW, I love your avatar!! :bigok:

Top Bottom