Lafayette Out of Zone Transfer (Hardship) [Help]

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    My son currently goes to Broadmoor Elementary, because that is where his mom was zoned when we enrolled him in Kindergarten. She's since moved from there, and I've since been bestowed sole custody. I live in a different school zone.

I really want him to be able to stay at the same school, rather than pull him out and put him in a new school next year. With so much changes having happened in his life recently, I'd like to keep something stable and routine for him until things are routine again. He's diagnosed with ADHD, and I called the doctor to see if he will provide a professional opinion saying the child needs to maintain status quo there.

Kid loves school, loves his teacher, likes the staff, really has a thirst for learning and has been doing so well. He's improved leaps and bounds at school since living with me the past several months and the stability is one of the major reasons. I don't want to uproot that.

Does anyone have any kind of history, experience, or suggestions for how I can accomplish my goals? I would appreciate having all the tools in the toolbox that I can before I get in touch with the School Review Committee with my application.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    This may not be the correct way of handling it, but my aunt used my grandmother's address for years to have her kids go to a certain school. I'm not sure if things have changed since then to where you can no longer do that. I would think it to be a damn shame that the school board would force such a drastic change in his life that could potentially ruin his education.

I'm sure Dr. Cooper doesn't have much say in the matter, but he seems to be the best advocate for "actual education" that has held that position in Lafayette in a long time. Best of luck!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks. I had been using the ex's address despite her not being there for a long while now, and my son being with me full time since the end of last year. Unfortunately I don't have any family nearby, and can't claim another address that I can think of.

I don't know that this will be a particularly difficult fight, but I'm the type of guy that gets all the ammo prepared before going in. I also expect they won't just say "Yea, sure, that's no problem" and do it for me. Nothing's ever so easy. :rolleyes:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    For clarity - it's just a different school within the Lafayette Parish School District. Same school district, just a different zone. They have like 5 or so elementary schools in the district.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Some schools offer a tuition option to keep the kids in another zone - i.e. like paying the same taxes you would if you lived there. Don't know what it costs, but it may be an option if it's that worthwhile to you

Fracture_U

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How old is your son? If he is below 3rd or 4th grade, I would not worry too much about changing schools. In Milton, the classes are changed every year and my daughter has almost never had the same group of kids in her class. My son went there as well (now a 9th grader) who has ADHD and did the same thing. Although he was on meds, he still did great throughout his time there. Also, it depends on what school you are zoned in. I would say if it was a school anywhere near as good as Milton, maybe think about it a bit more, rather than trying to accomplish something that may or may not work out for you and in the end, you will still have to change schools. I hope I didn't bring you down too much.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    How old is your son? If he is below 3rd or 4th grade, I would not worry too much about changing schools. In Milton, the classes are changed every year and my daughter has almost never had the same group of kids in her class. My son went there as well (now a 9th grader) who has ADHD and did the same thing. Although he was on meds, he still did great throughout his time there. Also, it depends on what school you are zoned in. I would say if it was a school anywhere near as good as Milton, maybe think about it a bit more, rather than trying to accomplish something that may or may not work out for you and in the end, you will still have to change schools. I hope I didn't bring you down too much.

From my understanding, no school is as good as Milton. I hear nothing but absolutely good things about that school.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    He's at Broadmoor right now, and I've been rather happy with his performance, and the school, so far. He's 6, just finishing Kindergarten. I live in the zone for Charles M. Burke Elementary

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    He's at Broadmoor right now, and I've been rather happy with his performance, and the school, so far. He's 6, just finishing Kindergarten. I live in the zone for Charles M. Burke Elementary

I have a few family members who go/went to Burke and hate it! Supposedly numerous parents have had problems with the administration and staff. That is where my house is zoned as well and my wife refuses to let my son go there when it's time for him to attend. We are looking at the French immersion program as an alternative.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the motivation. :rofl: I've also heard poor things of the school.

I'm more concerned with my son's behavior and acclimation to routines. His overall behavior, attitude, and school performance was poor when his home life was unstable, and now that he's stabilized at home, I really want to keep him stable at school too, rather than flipping him around. I'm also heavily leaning toward moving back to Missouri in a year, so I'd rather not pile on 3 school in as many years...

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    When I moved across town, I didn't change schools. My son's teacher found out and said I had to change schools. I went to the School Board office and talked to the superintendent. He allowed my son to stay in the school until the end of the year. He was going to middle school the next year.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom