Lane sharing and filtering by motorcycles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you feel about safe lane sharing and filtering?

• It doesn't bother me in the least

Votes: 13 15.3%
    • I would be ok with it if it were legal here

Votes: 13 15.3%
    • I don't have a strong feeling either way

Votes: 3 3.5%
    • I am not in favor of it.

Votes: 35 41.2%
    • It makes me mad.

Votes: 21 24.7%

• Total voters

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I agree, just because you can't fit, an I can, doesnt give me the right too. it's only fair.
    More so in a traffic jamb, with no one moving, I should be made to sit and soak up all that engine heat because you can't fit, again, only fair

There is only @2 months here in louisiana that is weather friendly for comfortable motorcycle riding. if you bought a motor and dont like being hot then you are gonna be a unhappy motorcycle rider

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    You know. Screw it. I have an idea. No motorcycle laws!!! The sensible ones have chimed in and said they won't. The others, not so much. I figure the "good" motorcycle genes will prevail and we'll have a type of super sci-fi transportation evolution and some day maybe we won't need traffic laws at all.

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My point is, people are pissed not about possible danger to the rider, it's about them not being able to do it.
    I've had people run up my tail pipe becaus I passed them when they didn't want me to, they were pissed that I could

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    My point is, people are pissed not about possible danger to the rider, it's about them not being able to do it.
    I've had people run up my tail pipe becaus I passed them when they didn't want me to, they were pissed that I could

This. I hate that crap. I have several buddies who ride, so even though I don't, I understand, somewhat, how a biker feels. On top of this, most people don't realize how close they are to a bike. You can be really close to a bike and still feel like you are pretty far away, so I try to keep that in mind and ensure that I really know that I'm far enough back from a bike when driving. If you crash into a bike from behind, you're likely to kill the rider, not something that is a serious concern if you barely tap a car in front of you.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I agree, just because you can't fit, an I can, doesnt give me the right too. it's only fair.
    More so in a traffic jamb, with no one moving, I should be made to sit and soak up all that engine heat because you can't fit, again, only fair

So it's motorists fault that you choose to ride a motorcycle knowing the limitations of climate control and use this as a justification to break or bend the laws to your comfort?

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    So it's motorists fault that you choose to ride a motorcycle knowing the limitations of climate control and use this as a justification to break or bend the laws to your comfort?
    Nope, how did you get that out of my post?
    It seems that a lot of people think its to dangerous, so they want to protect us.
    Well, guns are more dangerous, what should we do about that?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    This will never happen so I guess it's an argument over nothing.

Motor riders need to stop feeling special and 4wheel owners need to respect and quit being jealous. Now quickly close the thread and let's start a new topic to debate. 

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    fe1a0-Not_this_shit_again.jpg

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just wish more peope would ride motorcycles and split lanes. And juggle chainsaws. And eat glass. And play on high voltage lines.

The world would be a better place if more people did these things. At least for me.

Srsly, hate people.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^LOL!

Someone brought up insurance rates and that's a good point.
    If these laws pass then I can see lots of young drivers wanting a bike. Good mileage, they're cool, fast, relatively inexpensive, and now, you can cut through traffic jams. Lets not forget how much easier it is to run from the police (I saw this happen just a few weeks ago in Kenner, btw...). So we get a lot more people on bikes. What does that mean?

You're driving your truck, you run a stop sign and catch a civic's front fender. Your insurance company is out $2000 in repair bills, plus probably another $1500 in 'injury money' to avoid going to court. They're out $3500, relatively minor claim, life goes on.
    You're driving your truck, run the same stopsign and t bone a bike. The bike is totalled (writing accurate estimates on bikes is harder than on cars, its easier to total if the damage is serious). The rider goes by ambulance to the ER, he's kept for observation overnight for a possible head injury, and to check out the broken arm (he tried to break his fall), sore neck, etc. The insurance company panicks and quickly offers $20K in injury money to keep the attorney out of this. Total loss $25000. Your agent is now most unhappy with you. How's the rest of your driving record? lets run your mvr... oh, a fender bender and a speeding ticket. You look reckless, lets cancel... Was this accident any worse than the one with the civic? Did you do anything different? Nope.

If that scenario happens more frequently (it happens enough now) since there are more bikes on the road then our rates will go even higher. Our rates are already about the worst in the country, btw. N.O. rates are on par with Los Angeles, Miami and NYC.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I drive a bike as my main transportation here, and did in New Orleans and Sacramento/ San Fran as well. I miss the ability to lane share, because from my experience it makes riding a bike MUCH more efficient.

Long line leading up to the traffic light? Not for a bike! You're now up front, and have the accelleration to get way ahead of traffic. Rush hour? Cruise on through.

The Cali bike test tells you to rev your motor while riding between cars to make sure you are noticed; I think here if I ran through lines of traffic gunning the motor intermittently, I might get smacked with a bat, or shot.

I think lane sharing/ splitting, made legal and with regulations, is awesome.

I have never really been on a bike in traffic much but I know one thing.....when I am sitting in traffic and I see a bike coming up through the middle passing everyone I want to open my door when he comes by and knock him off that bike.

Just because someone is on a bike does not (in my opinion) give them the right to pass everyone else who is just as late or just as ready to move.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Thats why a carry a gun, for mentality like that. Me personally, I'll split lanes only if traffic is stopped, especially in the summer, because my Harley is air cooled and sitting in traffic would be detramental to the engine. I usually take the left or right shoulder, and I don't speed because I've have people try to cut me off before, thats usually when I pull my shirt up, uncover my pistol and stop momentarily next to their window. Then watch the look on there face when they realize I may be a crazy biker and they could have gotten shot.
    I have never really been on a bike in traffic much but I know one thing.....when I am sitting in traffic and I see a bike coming up through the middle passing everyone I want to open my door when he comes by and knock him off that bike.

Just because someone is on a bike does not (in my opinion) give them the right to pass everyone else who is just as late or just as ready to move.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Thats why a carry a gun, for mentality like that. Me personally, I'll split lanes only if traffic is stopped, especially in the summer, because my Harley is air cooled and sitting in traffic would be detramental to the engine. I usually take the left or right shoulder, and I don't speed because I've have people try to cut me off before, thats usually when I pull my shirt up, uncover my pistol and stop momentarily next to their window. Then watch the look on there face when they realize I may be a crazy biker and they could have gotten shot.

I can see you losing your gun with stunts like that.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Thats why a carry a gun, for mentality like that. Me personally, I'll split lanes only if traffic is stopped, especially in the summer, because my Harley is air cooled and sitting in traffic would be detramental to the engine. I usually take the left or right shoulder, and I don't speed because I've have people try to cut me off before, thats usually when I pull my shirt up, uncover my pistol and stop momentarily next to their window. Then watch the look on there face when they realize I may be a crazy biker and they could have gotten shot.[/

That Harley engine will be fine. It will spit and sputter if it gets overheated but as soon as you ride down the road all will be back to normal. Splitting traffic while it is stopped on a multi lane highway with private droves and such is the most dangerous thing you can do. The people in traffic leave gaps for other drivers to pull out, you come up the middle and smash.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom