Lawmaker wants to hold owners responsible for stolen guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slimak707

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011

State Rep. Barbara Norton

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -
    A Shreveport lawmaker wants to hold gun owners responsible for crime committed by their unsecured and stolen firearms.

Democratic representative Barbara Norton wants to force gun owners to secure their guns either with trigger locks or in a gun safe or cabinet.

"If you have a gun and that gun is not locked up and it is your responsibility, the law says that you have to have that gun locked up, well why would you not be held accountable?" asked Norton.* "You are not following the law."

Representative Norton says it's up to the Louisiana Legislature to make the laws and police and sheriff's departments to find a way to enforce them. Norton says she doesn't want agencies going door to door to see if a person has their firearms secured, but she does say that is a burglary and robbery occurs, investigators should use that occasion to punish the gun owner who failed to secure their firearms.

"At the end of the day, I believe that if someone leaves their guns unattended and someone breaks in your home and they trace that back to that person who owns that gun, well, they are going to know without a doubt if that gun was locked up or if that gun was laying around because if it was locked up, they are going to have to break into the cabinet, if it was a box, they are going to have to break into that box, so the law will know if that gun was in a safe place or if that gun wasn't in a safe place," Norton said.

Representative Norton says her bill is about protecting children in the wake of the recent mass shooting in Connecticut where children were murdered in their elementary school.

Gun advocates laughed at the reading of Norton's bill.

One man who owns firearms called the proposed bill "baloney."

Norton's bill will first have to get through committee.*

The legislative session starts April 8th.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    It's a law that you have to lock up your guns?

They can tell if they cut off a trigger lock?

I think this is a GREAT IDEA.... We should implement it immodestly after we hold politicians accountable for the laws they
    Pass!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    If she were to move to another state, the IQ average in Louisiana would automatically move up 50 points.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    This is a picture of the Yetti proposing the bill.

Rep--Barbara-Norton---29815424.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    90% of the stolen gun reports I take are from morons who left a gun unsecured in an unsecured vehicle. They should be held accountable for their negligence.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    90% of the stolen gun reports I take are from morons who left a gun unsecured in an unsecured vehicle. They should be held accountable for their negligence.

If someone steals a car and kills with it, is the car owner responsible because they had a set of spare keys in a hide-a-key that the thief found?

Not just playing devil's advocate, but once we start holding the innocent responsible for the actions of criminals, we live in NY.

I think people who leave guns unattended or unsecured in public are idiots, but stupidity is not a crime.

If we want to go that route, the only punishment for stupidity should be to lose your voting rights. Everything else would take care of itself eventually.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Just another attempt to hold the law abiding gun owner responsible.. Leave it to a moron like that to propose a law like that.. No, buy all means don't hold the criminal accountable, that would be to much like right..

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If I stop at the grocery to pick up some biscuits on my way to a hunt, and some criminal smashes the window on my truck, or I am out of town on vacation and some criminal breaks into my house, and steals one of my guns; I would feel terrible!

About losing the gun(s) that is!

That's as far as my shame will allow me to go.

Barabara Norton is a nincompoop!

Top Bottom