Lawmakers aim to curb military surplus program for police after Ferguson

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Screw that! I want to hear the trash talking before, during, and after every live play now! Do you realize how brutal these guys are to each other. And if they hate each, forget it!

The NFL would make millions on my concept.

I would love to hear Atlanta Cornerback Robert Alford telling Jimmy Graham; "I dare you to come my way with that bitch ass sh*t, you red bean looking ni$$er Mother f**ker!"

I would pay $20.00 a game. :mamoru:

I had a concept about 5 or 6 years back to put up a "Stadium Positioning System" (cut down, self contained technology similar to GPS) that would be able to tell down to the inch where the ball should be placed. It would track speed of passes, force applied on the ball, etc. I then expanded it to sensors fitted into the players uniforms that would measure force of hits, speed of travel, etc.

Think of all the statistics they have now, and then following my concept?? Compare hits to G-Forces, Weight of force applied, and so on. It could also then be adapted to track player health... heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, etc.

Then the NFL announced this...

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/new...stadiums/58d7d0d4-909c-4f5c-ba19-605c2e4ca3e8

I could have been a millionaire!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    NFL Game Mic last year had Champ Bailey tell Marshawn Lynch after a tackle (denying him a first down) "Thats all you got beastmode?"

Lynch, point to the stands: "I dont see anyone wearin Bailey jerseys..."

I was like WHY ISNT THIS IN EVERY GAME

Because that was the exception to the norm. They curse, call each other ni&&ers, say crap about their families, their wives, their kids, etc. If you heard a truly uncensored game you would laugh you ass off the whole game.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I had a concept about 5 or 6 years back to put up a "Stadium Positioning System" (cut down, self contained technology similar to GPS) that would be able to tell down to the inch where the ball should be placed. It would track speed of passes, force applied on the ball, etc. I then expanded it to sensors fitted into the players uniforms that would measure force of hits, speed of travel, etc.

Think of all the statistics they have now, and then following my concept?? Compare hits to G-Forces, Weight of force applied, and so on. It could also then be adapted to track player health... heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, etc.

Then the NFL announced this...

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/new...stadiums/58d7d0d4-909c-4f5c-ba19-605c2e4ca3e8

I could have been a millionaire!

Are you kidding? The NFL tried to sue the citizens of Louisiana because those greedy bastards wanted to own, "Who Dat?"

Your idea, while I believe you came up with it, is in the same trash can as my idea. :mamoru:

Last edited:

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Because that was the exception to the norm. They curse, call each other ni&&ers, say crap about their families, their wives, their kids, etc. If you heard a truly uncensored game you would laugh you ass off the whole game.

Better than listening to the announcers. I would pay to watch a game without the announcers endless stream of garbage about whose baby mama did this and whose brother did that.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Better than listening to the announcers. I would pay to watch a game without the announcers endless stream of garbage about whose baby mama did this and whose brother did that.

They tried it, it was a total flop!

Are we still talking about dirty cops wanting to run over completely innocent civilians with giant M1 Abrams tanks? :bowrofl:

Last edited:

Rougarou

Wanderer of the Wasteland
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    St. Charles Parish
    Screw that! I want to hear the trash talking before, during, and after every live play now! Do you realize how brutal these guys are to each other. And if they hate each, forget it!

The NFL would make millions on my concept.

I would love to hear Atlanta Cornerback Robert Alford telling Jimmy Graham; "I dare you to come my way with that bitch ass sh*t, you red bean looking ni$$er Mother f**ker!"

I would pay $20.00 a game. :mamoru:

You made me spit Sam Adams on my tablet. Now it's not working right. :p

The previous statement of mine was in response to the guy on page 7 if anyone is wondering.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    64 gig micro sd cards are tiny and would be more than enough storage capacity for a shift. That dog don't hunt.

And what should be done with said cards? How do you propose said cards get downloaded each day? Transferring 40 - 50 gig of memory could take hours. EVERY SHIFT. I also handle stuff on the way to the house. What about that stuff? And again. Power. How to power it for 12 hours? Someone mentioned radios, Have you seen the size of the power pack on our portable radios? Not to mention the weight.

Rougarou

Wanderer of the Wasteland
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    St. Charles Parish
    Well, 33.2 gig just took me 40 minutes on a bleeding edge of 2008 computer. I just did it because I just had one go down. One guy could handle the uploading. It would take 2 minutes max per bodycam to plug it in, have the computer recognize a usb camera device, and begin the transfer. Oh, but its soooo expensive for these cameras, they say. So is Kevlar but nobody's griping about that

Christ, police officers should be screaming for this tech to defend themselves and yet they are fighting it left and right. I wonder why? Its either the cameras or cops lose the "my word means more than yours because i am a cop" privelege that exists today.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    40 minutes, times, let's say 15 officers per shift per station Then where is all the data supposed to go?

I'd have no issues with being recorded. I just think there is a metric **** ton of details that would have to be worked out before it is implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Coming from someone that voluntarily purchased and uses a bodycam on duty- its a pain in the royal ass, and even the best of the best don't survive all shift. I posted a review already and stated more than enough there. I'm not elaborating further.

Yes, on paper it should work fantastic. See my comment about your cell phone or tail light.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Well, 33.2 gig just took me 40 minutes on a bleeding edge of 2008 computer.

To upload 32G on my agencies bandwidth, this is what it'd take per officer:

Download Speed: 10 MB/s
    Upload Speed: 1.5 MB/s
    Size: 32 GB
    Time: 6 Hours, 40 Minutes and 29 Seconds

Multiply that by ~30 officers that work daily- its 5TB of data and ~200 hours of transfer time per day. (Note that I work in a very small office. Imagine BR or NO?)

btw, The type of computer you're using means squat compared to your bandwidth capabilities.

Last edited:

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    First let me say that I understand that the two technologies are vastly different and that is not the premise of my question. How do the wireless mics that are tied to the dash cam videos work? Are they always on and obviously just not recording until the dash cam starts recording or do they have to be turned on?

And for the uploading of the videos at the end of the day, unless you take it home and send an email, which wouldn't support 32 GB or used some other sort of internet transfer, you would be putting the SD or other type of card into the computers USB port. Assuming you have USB 2, the maximum transfer rate is 60 MB/s with typical speeds around 30-42 MB/s. So doing the math for USB transfer, 32*1024/30 gives you 1092 seconds or ~18 mins. If using USB 3, the maximum is 640 MB/s so if we assume the same overhead that's ~320 MB/s real world or 32*1024/320=102.4 seconds or 1.7 mins. So computer type and equipment do matter.

The question I have about it is what to do with the video. Assuming it is running the whole time you are on shift do you edit out the driving/running radar/eating doughnuts (kidding, kidding)/and other non interacting portions of the shift or keep it as one recording for X number of days and if there are no complaints/altercations during that shift then delete it? Now THAT would be a full time job.

I, not being an officer but the son of a former officer, do not fully understand what you guys go through on a daily basis. I personally believe that the camera thing is a great idea for both/all parties. I agree that the tech may not be there just yet and that there will be some bugs/things to work out. I believe they will be worked out, based on the push for them now. I believe that right now someone is putting together a prototype that would probably solve a lot of the issues/concerns that you guys have. I think it would be great if there was a video of this incident showing the officer getting hit, struggling over keeping his gun and not shooting the guy in the back. Hopefully this next thought comes across like I want it to, stick with it. I also would appreciate if the video showed the opposite. If it showed Brown running away and getting shot at and then turning around with his hands up and getting shot multiple times when he was not a threat. Not to pile on more cop hate/bashing but to get a murderer off of the streets. If that came across like I wanted it to, I think you guys would agree.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    First let me say that I understand that the two technologies are vastly different and that is not the premise of my question. How do the wireless mics that are tied to the dash cam videos work? Are they always on and obviously just not recording until the dash cam starts recording or do they have to be turned on?

And for the uploading of the videos at the end of the day, unless you take it home and send an email, which wouldn't support 32 GB or used some other sort of internet transfer, you would be putting the SD or other type of card into the computers USB port. Assuming you have USB 2, the maximum transfer rate is 60 MB/s with typical speeds around 30-42 MB/s. So doing the math for USB transfer, 32*1024/30 gives you 1092 seconds or ~18 mins. If using USB 3, the maximum is 640 MB/s so if we assume the same overhead that's ~320 MB/s real world or 32*1024/320=102.4 seconds or 1.7 mins. So computer type and equipment do matter.

The question I have about it is what to do with the video. Assuming it is running the whole time you are on shift do you edit out the driving/running radar/eating doughnuts (kidding, kidding)/and other non interacting portions of the shift or keep it as one recording for X number of days and if there are no complaints/altercations during that shift then delete it? Now THAT would be a full time job.

I, not being an officer but the son of a former officer, do not fully understand what you guys go through on a daily basis. I personally believe that the camera thing is a great idea for both/all parties. I agree that the tech may not be there just yet and that there will be some bugs/things to work out. I believe they will be worked out, based on the push for them now. I believe that right now someone is putting together a prototype that would probably solve a lot of the issues/concerns that you guys have. I think it would be great if there was a video of this incident showing the officer getting hit, struggling over keeping his gun and not shooting the guy in the back. Hopefully this next thought comes across like I want it to, stick with it. I also would appreciate if the video showed the opposite. If it showed Brown running away and getting shot at and then turning around with his hands up and getting shot multiple times when he was not a threat. Not to pile on more cop hate/bashing but to get a murderer off of the streets. If that came across like I wanted it to, I think you guys would agree.

The equipment matters if you want to store it locally, sure.

On the numbers above for a laughably small agency, we'd need 140TB worth of hard drives to sustain a 30 day video log, and employ someone to install and maintain a secure intranet.

A quick visit to newegg puts the math at ~$9500.00 per agency for hardware alone, and ~$50k a year to install and staff it. Now multiply by Louisiana's 350 leo agencies. (Recall that bigger cities will require 3-5x what my agency uses... but lets keep the math simple)

Is the thread now really ending up with "don't use the (almost) free military gear that lasts decades, but go out and spend ~$20mil/year on this instead?". sheesh. I told people that this thread would end up positive and productive. I hate being this wrong this early in the morning.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I could see a potential solution being to issue officers a camera and maybe a week's worth of SD cards. Friday afternoon you wipe last Monday's card to use when you get to work on Monday, etc. (assuming a 5 day work week) That way you'd keep a rolling backup in case issues come to light a few days after an incident occurs. Obviously if something happens, any major use of force, whatever, then you keep that day's card as evidence.

That's ~$250 per officer for storage, and whatever the camera costs. Still an expense, but I could see how it would work, and it would take a lot of the guess work out of these types of investigations. A hell of a lot cheaper than storing every second of every shift for every officer, too.

Granted you need somebody on staff to at least mark the important parts of what you keep. I sure as hell don't want to be the guy that has to watch every coffee stop, bathroom break, stupid joke, etc. lol

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The equipment matters if you want to store it locally, sure.

On the numbers above for a laughably small agency, we'd need 140TB worth of hard drives to sustain a 30 day video log, and employ someone to install and maintain a secure intranet.

A quick visit to newegg puts the math at ~$9500.00 per agency for hardware alone, and ~$50k a year to install and staff it. Now multiply by Louisiana's 350 leo agencies. (Recall that bigger cities will require 3-5x what my agency uses... but lets keep the math simple)

Is the thread now really ending up with "don't use the (almost) free military gear that lasts decades, but go out and spend ~$20mil/year on this instead?". sheesh. I told people that this thread would end up positive and productive. I hate being this wrong this early in the morning.

There's even more to it than that... there's logistics as well... overlapping frequencies, equipment failures, product consistency, etc. The list goes on and on. That's why some of the equipment still used today in smaller departments is antiquated. Hell, New Orleans would still be driving the same old vehicles with the same communications, etc. if Katrina hadn't given them a huge budget to update.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I could see a potential solution being to issue officers a camera and maybe a week's worth of SD cards. Friday afternoon you wipe last Monday's card to use when you get to work on Monday, etc. (assuming a 5 day work week) That way you'd keep a rolling backup in case issues come to light a few days after an incident occurs. Obviously if something happens, any major use of force, whatever, then you keep that day's card as evidence.

That's ~$250 per officer for storage, and whatever the camera costs. Still an expense, but I could see how it would work, and it would take a lot of the guess work out of these types of investigations. A hell of a lot cheaper than storing every second of every shift for every officer, too.

Granted you need somebody on staff to at least mark the important parts of what you keep. I sure as hell don't want to be the guy that has to watch every coffee stop, bathroom break, stupid joke, etc. lol

You're presuming that people call and complain the same calendar week that any given event occurs. Trust me when i say a 30-day log would be minimal, and if money was no object I'd want 180 days.

Top Bottom