Lawsuit Against Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    What is entailed in filing both a harassment, as well as monetary harm type suite against Louisiana? Can one sue a state?

That state is like a virus. I wish I had never lived there. They are STILL trying to mess with me, even though I moved 8 months ago. Millions of other people, as well.

Months ago, when I moved, I provided Louisiana with proof of continued insurance. I had a rider faxed to the number they asked me to send it to. Now, I, and 1.2 million other people, are being told we must pay $525 or they will wreck our credit and fine us further, as well as have some US Treasury operation steal money from us. "Because our insurance lapsed" (which it never did, which proof was provided regarding, previously).

I will call them tomorrow, but I am sure they have "no record of that", because...Louisiana.

So, how should I proceed with this? I want to sue for harassment, and I want to sue for monetary damages, should they extort the $525 from me, so as to save my credit. Also, is it possible to have them cover the court costs in the event that I win the lawsuit?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/10/louisiana_drivers_getting_warn.html

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Good luck.

These letters are 3rd notices in most cases. 90% of them are legit fines for people letting their insurance lapse OR selling a car and not surrendering the plate (meaning the insurance was cancelled because you sold the car but the plate was cancelled before then).

My problem as an insurance agent is dealing with the 1.2 million letters bulk mailed. What idiot thought it was a good idea to send them all at once?!? DMV doesn't have the staffing to resolve or evaluate the issues. I guess that was part of the plan? Now its easier to pay the fine than deal with the problem...

I don't see a class action lawsuit working since most of these are legitimate problems from DMV's perspective that previously notified.

Individually going to small claims court? IANAL...

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    DMV doesn't have the staffing to resolve or evaluate the issues. I guess that was part of the plan? Now its easier to pay the fine than deal with the problem...

Wouldn't surprise me...kind of underhanded

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Well, I am not paying the fine. It was handled months ago when they requested proof that the insurance had not lapsed. It had not, and I provided continuation of coverage as proof, faxed from my insurance company. The issue was then dropped. Until now, months later. Now the state of Louisiana is trying to extort me out of $525 that it has no legal right to, or they are threatening to ruin my credit score. I have been unable to reach them by phone, as they are not taking phone calls. I will try again, later, and thus moving forward will try again once a week. Did I mention how much I hated living in that state lately? Well I thought I would be over it since I moved oh, near a year ago. It's a damn disease that follows you.

Paying the fine? No. Not going to happen. It is extortion because THEIR FILES do NOT accurately reflect the situation at hand, and I refuse to be responsible for it. Threatening me with loss of my ability to buy a home in another state? Well, we will see. I don't take kindly to criminal offense against my estate.

EVEN IF I pay the fine, they are still taking it collections I bet...because the dipshits didn't even process the fact that I sent them all the information they asked for previously. So how are they going to "magically" process "Oh, he paid his fine! Now we can keep track of our shitty system!" Yeah, this is going to go down the shitter real fast. Thanks LA. Thank-you so much.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Well, I am not paying the fine. It was handled months ago when they requested proof that the insurance had not lapsed. It had not, and I provided continuation of coverage as proof, faxed from my insurance company. The issue was then dropped. Until now, months later. Now the state of Louisiana is trying to extort me out of $525 that it has no legal right to, or they are threatening to ruin my credit score. I have been unable to reach them by phone, as they are not taking phone calls. I will try again, later, and thus moving forward will try again once a week. Did I mention how much I hated living in that state lately? Well I thought I would be over it since I moved oh, near a year ago. It's a damn disease that follows you.

Paying the fine? No. Not going to happen. It is extortion because THEIR FILES do NOT accurately reflect the situation at hand, and I refuse to be responsible for it. Threatening me with loss of my ability to buy a home in another state? Well, we will see. I don't take kindly to criminal offense against my estate.

EVEN IF I pay the fine, they are still taking it collections I bet...because the dipshits didn't even process the fact that I sent them all the information they asked for previously. So how are they going to "magically" process "Oh, he paid his fine! Now we can keep track of our shitty system!" Yeah, this is going to go down the shitter real fast. Thanks LA. Thank-you so much.

Sounds like this is being administered by the DOR if not they are taking notes from them. Got notice recently one of our employees we being garnished by the state. It was the first noticed he recieved from a business he closed years ago. I've seen this sort of thing over and over again in many states it seems to me these mass mailout have as much bogus notices as they do legit. Weather intitional or not we as a free people should not tollerate this sort of behavior from OUR employees, but what do you do?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Sounds like this is being administered by the DOR if not they are taking notes from them. Got notice recently one of our employees we being garnished by the state. It was the first noticed he recieved from a business he closed years ago. I've seen this sort of thing over and over again in many states it seems to me these mass mailout have as much bogus notices as they do legit. Weather intitional or not we as a free people should not tollerate this sort of behavior from OUR employees, but what do you do?

I can tell you this much: I will not come out of this with a net financial loss. Period.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    On hold with the office of motor vehicles in BR...I bet it's a loooonnnnnnngggggg hold. Will see what they have to say when I politely explain the situation (no sarcasm), and then go from there.

ETA: Transferred to another office. They now want to make it a big deal that when I traded my vehicle in in Arkansas, that I did not mail them their plates back, but rather let the dealership handle it. Will see what this next person I speak to says.

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    On hold with the office of motor vehicles in BR...I bet it's a loooonnnnnnngggggg hold. Will see what they have to say when I politely explain the situation (no sarcasm), and then go from there.

ETA: Transferred to another office. They now want to make it a big deal that when I traded my vehicle in in Arkansas, that I did not mail them their plates back, but rather let the dealership handle it. Will see what this next person I speak to says.
    So it seems the "dealership" you traded in at screwed you over. I would have taken care of the plate myself, especially when in another state! Pay your apparently legitimate fine and move on. But please post updates, I'm sure we all miss your unrelenting " I hate Louisiana" whining!

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    So it seems the "dealership" you traded in at screwed you over. I would have taken care of the plate myself, especially when in another state! Pay your apparently legitimate fine and move on. But please post updates, I'm sure we all miss your unrelenting " I hate Louisiana" whining!

The new office pulled my file, and said the ONLY issue was needing to show continued insurance coverage. I will continue a dislike of a state that cannot keep records, and tries to extort people months, and even years, after they have left.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I'm sure we all miss your unrelenting " I hate Louisiana" whining!

:mamoru: The man that judged Louisiana by its Shreveport. :mamoru:

Seriously tho these insurance lapse mailers were a pretty poor PR decision on behalf of state police and whoever else. Some people are getting notices for supposed lapses more than 10 years ago. Good luck trying to get records from that long ago to disprove their charge.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    :mamoru: The man that judged Louisiana by its Shreveport. :mamoru:

Seriously tho these insurance lapse mailers were a pretty poor PR decision on behalf of state police and whoever else. Some people are getting notices for supposed lapses more than 10 years ago. Good luck trying to get records from that long ago to disprove their charge.
    Yeah, and when their credit score drops 100+ points because it gets turned into collections, THEN the **** is REALLY going to fly. It's not going to be pretty. That state is a damn virus. Lays latent for decades after you leave it, and them BAM! Like AIDS. I really can't hate Louisiana any more than I do now. Don't take that to mean the swamps or the wonderful people I know down there. I mean LOUISIANA, the legal/political/government entity.

Seriously, the PEOPLE in the Southern part of LA changed how I viewed those who live there. But the STATE itself? The political engine/etc.? It's a stain. Nothing has run contrary to THAT opinion, at least, in my book.

It seems like they want me to do the exact same thing I did months ago when this FIRST happened. So I'm going to wash, rinse, repeat. At least now I have a name and a personal work E-mail to correspond with.

This is absolutely absurd. I have no LA license. I have not set foot in that state in 8 months. I cleared this up almost half a year ago. Absurd. Totally absurd. My friends all over LA got the same message, too, and they pay 6mo in ADVANCE on all their policies. They got one for every vehicle they've owned, lol. It's dumb beyond belief that that failing broke ass state is trying everything in its power to extort enough money to fill its coffers for just a bit longer.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I can tell you this much: I will not come out of this with a net financial loss. Period.

The new office pulled my file, and said the ONLY issue was needing to show continued insurance coverage. I will continue a dislike of a state that cannot keep records, and tries to extort people months, and even years, after they have left.

As I mentioned before its not just Louisiana some states are better than others. We are registered in 20+ states all the tax notices run through my desk and I probably see 2-5 bogus notices per month. Had a city in Kentucky right down the 800 number on one of our trucks call and get a mailing address, then mail us a business license notice. We did no work in the city never have we dont even do much work in the state and have no physical location in the state.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    As I mentioned before its not just Louisiana some states are better than others. We are registered in 20+ states all the tax notices run through my desk and I probably see 2-5 bogus notices per month. Had a city in Kentucky right down the 800 number on one of our trucks call and get a mailing address, then mail us a business license notice. We did no work in the city never have we dont even do much work in the state and have no physical location in the state.

I wonder if they did it 25 years retro-actively because they can't manage their budget and are grasping at straws?

This insurance scam is in a whole 'nother league.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you have strong enough credit and you are not at fault, don't pay it!

If those Louisiana plates were supposed to be turned back into the state, and you just assumed you were covered but that didn't happen; you are pissing up a dangling rope for empathy.

However if you are still unsure; it really boils down to a ball being in your court with the only choices being; Should I be a dirt bag or not?

As for the smear on Louisiana? It has it's faults. But you would be hard pressed to find many states with gun laws as liberal as ours. And I only use gun laws as an example because this is not a thieves in politics discussion board. :p

Top Bottom