Lawsuit filed against HLS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GrumpyOldMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Metairie
    ANN ARBOR, MI – The Thomas More Law Center, a national public interest law firm based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, announced today that it has filed a federal lawsuit against Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. The lawsuit claims that her Department’s “Rightwing Extremism Policy,” as reflected in the recently publicized Intelligence Assessment, “Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment,” violates the civil liberties of combat veterans as well as American citizens by targeting them for disfavored treatment on account of the political beliefs.

The lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan on behalf of nationally syndicated conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage, Gregg Cunningham (President of the pro-life organization Center for Bio-Ethical Reform, Inc (CBR)), and Iraqi War Marine veteran Kevin Murray. The Law Center claims that Napolitano’s Department (DHS) has violated the First and Fifth Amendment Constitutional rights of these three plaintiffs by attempting to chill their free speech, expressive association, and equal protection rights. The lawsuit further claims that the Department of Homeland Security encourages law enforcement officers throughout the nation to target and report citizens to federal officials as suspicious rightwing extremists and potential terrorists because of their political beliefs.

Richard Thompson, President and Chief Counsel of the Thomas More Law Center stated, “The Obama Administration has declared war on American patriots and our Constitution. The Report even admits that the Department has no specific information on any plans of violence by so-called ‘rightwing extremists.’ Rather, what they do have is the expression of political opinions by certain individuals and organizations that oppose the Obama administration’s policies, and this expression is protected speech under the First Amendment.”

Thompson added, “Janet Napolitano is lying to the American people when she says the Report is not based on ideology or political beliefs. In fact, her report would have the admiration of any current or past dictator in the way it targets political opponents.”

The Report specifically mentions the following political beliefs that law enforcement should use to determine whether someone is a “rightwing extremist”:

Opposes restrictions on firearms
    Opposes lax immigration
    Opposes the policies of President Obama regarding immigration, citizenship and the expansion of social programs
    Opposes continuation of free trade agreements
    Opposes same-sex marriage
    Has paranoia of foreign regimes
    Fear of Communist regimes
    Opposes one world government
    Bemoans the decline of U.S. stature in the world.
    Upset with loss of U.S. manufacturing jobs to China and India
    . . . and the list goes on

The Law Center is asking the court to declare that the DHS policy violates the First and Fifth Amendments, to permanently enjoin the Policy and its application to the plaintiffs’ speech and other activities, and to award the plaintiffs their reasonable attorney’s fees and costs for having to bring the lawsuit.

The Thomas More Law Center defends and promotes America’s Christian heritage and moral values, including the religious freedom of Christians, time-honored family values, and the sanctity of human life. It supports a strong national defense and an independent and sovereign United States of America. The Law Center accomplishes its mission through litigation, education, and related activities. It does not charge for its services. The Law Center is supported by contributions from individuals, corporations and foundations, and is recognized by the IRS as a section 501(c)(3) organization. You may reach the Thomas More Law Center at (734) 827-2001 or visit our website at www.thomasmore.org.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Folks are mighty short on the memory of Timothy McVeigh and the Murray Federal Building in Oklahoma City. These crackpot bastards who go off the deep end deserve watching as much as Muslims, the New Black Panthers and any group that espouses to destroy America.

Last edited:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Folks are mighty short on the memory of Timothy McVeigh and the Murray Federal Building in Oklahoma City. These crackpot bastards who go off the deep end deserve watching as much as Muslims, the New Black Panthers and any other group that espouses to destroy America.

x 1,000,000.

the far right is no different than the far left.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I go the regional Anti-terrorism meetings, and while many of the items listed can be used to describe any of us, myself included, they are looking for several of this with a motive and opportunity for action.

Same way that most of the tinted out SUV's with 89" spinners on them are being driven by black males with marijuana in the vehicle does nto mean everyone who has tint and big tires is a pot head.

Now, I can definitely see where this can be used against good people like us, but do nto think that it hasn't been talked about. This is the first time it has been put in print.

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    the powers that be told her to write that crap. REMEMBER NO ONE IN THE OBAMA AMINISTRATIOIN DOES ANYTHING OR SAYS ANYTHING WITHOUT HIS CONSENT. NO ONE

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    Folks are mighty short on the memory of Timothy McVeigh and the Murray Federal Building in Oklahoma City. These crackpot bastards who go off the deep end deserve watching as much as Muslims, the New Black Panthers and any group that espouses to destroy America.

I didn't realize someone who opposed firearm restrictions, opposed abortion, opposed illegal immigration, opposed Obama getting buddy-buddy with dictators, or hated communism was on the moral equivalency as a terrorist or someone who "espouses to destroy America." Guess I woke up in a different world when I went to sleep last night.

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    I go the regional Anti-terrorism meetings, and while many of the items listed can be used to describe any of us, myself included, they are looking for several of this with a motive and opportunity for action.

Same way that most of the tinted out SUV's with 89" spinners on them are being driven by black males with marijuana in the vehicle does nto mean everyone who has tint and big tires is a pot head.

What if the above also has a thin blue line sticker? if so probably on parole as well. :rofl:

optiic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    you dont see any left wing extremist reports do you.

I'm pretty sure I saw an extreme left wing profile report a while back. They also did the same thing regarding Ron Paul supporters. I don't have a problem with keeping an eye on any extreme group. Right or left or anything thing, when people take any ideology to an extreme its dangerous for all of us.

jlong

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Prairieville, La
    I'm pretty sure I saw an extreme left wing profile report a while back. They also did the same thing regarding Ron Paul supporters. I don't have a problem with keeping an eye on any extreme group. Right or left or anything thing, when people take any ideology to an extreme its dangerous for all of us.

Agreed, but people do take it to extremes, and they always will. This is exactly how they want people to think. The Fed uses this to pass off some bill so that it won't happen again. What we fail to realize though is this litigation dilutes our rights as well. I haven't forgotten why happend in Oklahoma City. It is a most unfortunate thing, and was not the best way to get the message out. It is my opinion that the government is too big, if I am an extremist for that, so beit.

Top Bottom