LC9s Range Trip

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I took my LC9s to the range this past weekend for some "I love this trigger" action.

First off, I purchased the LC9s about three months ago after owning an LCP for a period of time. I enjoyed the simplicity of the LCP as well as its reliability no matter what ammo I threw at it. Since I purchased it (the LC9s), I've added a Gallaway Precision Sure Feed Guide rod/recoil assembly with upgraded striker spring, Talon Rubbarized grips, and XS Big dot night sights. I am still waiting for Galloway Precisions Over Travel Custom Fit Trigger Bar, and Quick Set Sear to be released and I will add them as well.

The LC9s has become my EDC. I have not been one for a single stack weapon in the past, however, this firearm made me rethink that. The trigger alone was enough to make me fall in love with this piece. Its light pull and quick reset puts it in a class of other favorites like the Walther PPQm2, my tweaked Stainless J-frame .357/38, and my heavily modified G19.

The ONLY issues/notes I've taken with this weapon so far have been...

1. The front sight is a BIT$H CO#K FU@K to get off. It is pinned and wedged pretty well with the dovetail. Initially I thought it was an allen wrench, but ahhh... dreaming. It was apparently pinned because the factory front sight tended to "walk" when fired. The XS front sight took some work to get into place. It required a little (very light) filing on the dovetail (always make sure you file down the sight itself and not the firearm!) to make it wedge far enough to fit properly. It's very easy to file off too much and then the sight will not fit properly, so I would highly recommend taking it to a gunsmith. Once the sights were installed, I'll say they are perfect. SO much better than the factory sights. I have them on all my weapons (even though about buying the front sight post for my AR).

2. The take-down pin is touchy. Sometimes it will pop right out (and back in), and other times it takes a little work. Some websites show it being popped out with a large paperclip... I have not had luck with anything smaller than a small punch or pair of metal tweezers.

3. The rear slide plate takes some used to getting off. However, once you realize how to do it, you won't forget it. Mainly because it will take you 20 minutes to figure it out... even with instructions. There's a TINY hole that you need to locate... and it blends in well. Advice... PLENTY of light and tiny punch or scribe.

4. The magazine disconnect is kind of a PITA. Needing to either have a magazine inserted or the dummy "safety" magazine that it comes with in order to take the weapon down for cleaning is just a step that isn't needed. Not allowing the weapon to fire with no magazine doesn't make sense to me. I am considering removing the disconnect as it's a useless safety feature and I don't want to carry around the dummy magazine (or unload my magazine to put it back in) just to take down and clean the weapon. I don't believe in adding safety features to firearms that are simply to account for idiots who can't properly secure their weapons or ensure they're unloaded. It defeats the purpose when you can just put the dummy magazine in, with a round in the chamber, and still fire the weapon.

5. The extended magazines for the LC9 work perfectly. The contours of the handgrip doesn't match up exactly, but they work, giving you 9 rounds instead of 7. I have the Talon grips on my extended magazines as well.

6. I've put multiple range ammo types through it with no issue. Literally. not one failure to feed, failure to fire, stovepipe, etc. with more than 800 rounds through it. I can't say the same for Self Defense ammo though. Well, I take that back... I've fired several types of that as well... and the substantially shorter rounds with polymer tip, such as the Corbon PowRball ammo, hung up on the feed ramp and wouldn't enter the chamber. In fact, it didn't even fully leave the magazine. I had to eject the magazine to fix the malfunction. Now, I will say, it was ONE PARTICULAR round that had a flaw in the polymer that kept hanging up. I didn't have an issue with any others. I was able to fix the issue with the polymer tip by giving it a couple of rubs on my pants leg to smooth out the polymer, Then it worked perfectly. So this was an ammunition issue, but I polished the feed ramp anyway after I cleaned it that day.

One more noted issue with the LC9s is that is will not fit every holster that fits the LC9. I have a DeSantis Supertuck holster that fits perfectly, however I tried the Fobus LC9 holster and the weapon didn't even go 2/3rds of the way into it before the holster began to separate. Now I know Fobus are to holsters as ProMag is to Magazines, but I just wanted to point that out. However, the Fobus paddle dual single stack magazine holster holds the LC9s Magazines perfectly. The DeSantis holster doesn't fit the most snugly to the LC9s and is a little misleading (meaning if you have the holster in your hand and you turn it upside-down, the firearm will fall out), however, when the holster is in your waistband, the top leather tongue of the holster, along with the pressure against the leather inner wall do hold it securely in place.

I hope this helps someone out there with the LC9s. Overall a great little firearm that conceals VERY well when combined with the right holster.

UPDATE - A user messaged me about the upgrade and it made me remember... there was an issue with the original guide rod (not what made me swap it out though). It would catch the slide and cause it not to return to battery fully on occasion. The weapon would still fire, but it could potentially be an issue. I would have to snap it back into place with my thumb. The Gallaway precision guide rod does not produce that issue. Ruger has supposedly issued a fix for this that changes the flat end of the guide rod to a coned end.

Last edited:

trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    I just took my LC9S to the range for the first time this weekend, and really enjoyed it. I thought the trigger was phenomenal. Nice review kingfhb.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    UPDATE - A user messaged me about the upgrade and it made me remember... there was an issue with the original guide rod (not what made me swap it out though). It would catch the slide and cause it not to return to battery fully on occasion. The weapon would still fire, but it could potentially be an issue. I would have to snap it back into place with my thumb. The Gallaway precision guide rod does not produce that issue. Ruger has supposedly issued a fix for this that changes the flat end of the guide rod to a coned end.

For what it's worth, Ruger addressed the LC9s guide rod in the December issue of Guns & Ammo. "If you close the slide really slowly by hand, you can sometimes make the flat rivet hang up on the tip of the slide. This never happens if you are firing the gun or allowing the slide to slam forward." Even so, they are replacing the guide rods with a new one if requested.

Not defending them, just thought you'd like to know.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I mentioned above the fix they addressed. As far as it happening when you close the slide "really slowly", that's not true at all. I never had it happen when firing, however, I had it happen numerous times when slingshotting the slide... Not "slowly" at all. Most of those times were on loading a new magazine and charging the first round of that magazine into the chamber. As I said above, it still fired, but didn't return to full battery.

The fix is the exact same guide rod with a small cone added one the forward inner rod. Either the cone or the slide itself will wear over time and either the same problem will resurface or you'll bevel the guide rod hole on the slide. Now this may occur only with shooters that work this weapon, but I would rather use a product that works 100% of the time when my life depends on it. I don't need or want to know that it does actually happen with someone pointing a weapon at my chest.

The Galloway guide rod has never produced this issue. It is also a single staged rod instead of the dual stage that comes with the LC9s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom