LDF issues warning about invasive snail species

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We have been working with LDWF for awhile on this. These will reek serious damage to lots of areas around south Louisiana. Not much you can do about them in the wild because any type of product you apply to kill them will also kill everything else in the same area. There is also another snail in Florida moving this way, the giant African land snail. They are massive in size and eat everything in sight. It's just a matter of time before we get them here. Some dumbass will think they are "cool" and bring them here and then release them when they get tired of taking care of them. Invasive species are no joke, but the average joe smoe is clueless to the damage they can cause. There are lots of agencies working on this, but it's such a huge problem that by the time we find them they are already established.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    We have been working with LDWF for awhile on this. These will reek serious damage to lots of areas around south Louisiana. Not much you can do about them in the wild because any type of product you apply to kill them will also kill everything else in the same area. There is also another snail in Florida moving this way, the giant African land snail. They are massive in size and eat everything in sight. It's just a matter of time before we get them here. Some dumbass will think they are "cool" and bring them here and then release them when they get tired of taking care of them. Invasive species are no joke, but the average joe smoe is clueless to the damage they can cause. There are lots of agencies working on this, but it's such a huge problem that by the time we find them they are already established.

Invasive species are a huge problem that has no easy solution. But all you hear folks talking about is global warming...

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    This just in:

LDWF has just announced that you are now allowed to hunt these "Outlaw Molluscs" at night, but only on private property with rimfire weapons. You must also notify your local LEO in writing 3 days prior. Suppressors are a no-go for now and you must have a current hunting license.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    This just in:

LDWF has just announced that you are now allowed to hunt these "Outlaw Molluscs" at night, but only on private property with rimfire weapons. You must also notify your local LEO in writing 3 days prior. Suppressors are a no-go for now and you must have a current hunting license.

Lmfao

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    How about Salt. Lots of salt. Didn't somebody make a salt gun, not asalt rifle.
    And lets get the Bazarre Food guy try them with some butta, before the rest of us dig in. I wonder how charbroiled snail taste?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    They are quite tasty, well at least I heard they were. They have been eating them in Asian countries for a long long time. They do carry parasites though, so make sure you cook the sheet out of them.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Here are some pis of a shell of the snail we have been talking about.
    7e75b18f41f0bb124a5f1a5d44ac73e7.jpg
    760ec35b080bc68c197378d7f136f3e8.jpg
    678bd00eb62312e276328e68bf316780.jpg
    caa2324fa8012323637df9ae4d507e65.jpg

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Only from a hobby point of view, Those snails are cool. I'd put a couple in one of my aquariums and never release into the wild. But I have ALOT of aquariums (and adding 6 more in the next month or so) and the ability to house them for their short lives of 1-3 years on average. I'd also love to get an African land snail.

Last edited:

marcw85

Hotter than a $2 pistol
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thibodaux, LA
    I work at a facility in Chacahoula, LA and these things are everywhere! The raccoons really seem to enjoy them, I find small piles of empty shells on my access road

Top Bottom