Leather oils?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    On my can of Ballistol it reads that it can be sprayed on leather belts, holsters etc... What are the benifits of this. Will it make it softer, last longer?

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    nuff said!!! I have a Tagua leather holster I have been carrying my SP101 in for about a year now and I just picked up another for my new G26 today and I love the fit and feel of them and yes It makes sense that You wouldn't want to soften your belts and holsters. thanks guys. I think i'll just spray my weapons with the Ballistol!!!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I was busy earlier, just wanted to give some reasons more than "Don't Do it"

First of all, by accidentally getting Ballistol on leather projects, it stains the leather an awful color and doesn't disperse like proper oils used in leather.

Second, DS727, you don't want to soften your holster or belt, your maker should apply the proper amount of oil on the holster, and it shouldn't need any more.

The proper oil to use on leather is neatsfoot oil, it is expensive and not widely available. I use it to replace the natural oils displaced during dying leather, other than that most leather will not need to be oiled. Oil is also used to sun tan leather for color, and the sun has a way of causing the excess to seep out so your belt or holster isn't over oiled.

If you really feel a need to clean your leather the best, easiest to find product is Saddle Soap, go easy with it. It should be followed with a neutral shoe polish or wax, I sell a wax, but it is $25 for a small jar that would last most people their lifetime. $25 is the MAP price, and since I need to keep my account clean I stick to it. Most people mark it up higher and seem to have no problem selling it.

If your leather ever gets wet, best to let it dry at room temperature, if it is stiff or was wet for a long time it may need some oil, but if that is not the case I have my first holster still holds up well, and it wasn't exactly "Perfectly Finished" My first belt held up well too, I have worn in every day since I made it, dunked it in the Gulf, the swamp, a swimming pool or two and in my own sweat and it holds up like a champ. Only reason I am planning out my next belt is I under grew it!

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    +1 for Neatsfoot oil my dad always oiled my ball gloves with it to get them just right kcinnick is giving you some great advice (he does train dead cows after all) I myself grew up riding horses saddle soap is great for cleaning leather up too it would clean saddles after a long trail ride like no bodies business

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom