Lee powder scale

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    Trying to load powder for the first time. I've read all the instructions for the scale and for the lee powder dispenser, have the discs but also bought the Lee adjustable charge bar. I zero out the scale but I cannot get a measure with the scale. I used the disc and the charge bar but the scale is way off the mark on both while the actual powder looks to be the about the same to my eye. Can the Lee scale not work right out of the box? Any other way to test the scale? I don't have anything else with grains. Thanks!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The Lee scale is the hardest scale on the market to read and does not go high enough to weigh most bullets.

Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    I actually had a 110gr and weighed it. It isn't that far off. Maybe I need to run some more powder thru. I have been reading that the rcbs 505 is easier to read and a little bit faster. Any experience with it? I'm so new to this I don't know which is wrong, dispensers or scale.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The dispensers measure by volume and scales by weight. Measuring by weight will be more consistant but the powder drop is much faster. The chart that comes with the discs is only a guide and might be dead on with one lot of powder and off by 1/2 grain with the next lot. Be sure to "zero" the scale before using it and check with a known weight or two to know the accuracy.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The lee scale works, although it is hard to read. Make sure you have the fulcrum on the center of the pivot point, you can put the arm on not on the notch, but to the left or right of it. That blade on the arm needs to be in the V on the base. Also, I found that their powder measures needed to have a hopper or 2 of powder run through them before they started to measure consistently. And with some powders, I find that they will never throw a consistent charge unless I "Flick" the hopper every throw to make sure it all slides in. Looking at the size of the pile is useless, 2 similar looking piles can have different weights. I had the most trouble with the Lee perfect powder measure, and had many squibs until I realized the flick trick. It would throw enough consistent in a row to make me comfortable, then I would get a low charge shot at the range (1 out of a hundred or so, very random). I use the lee auto disk with the turret press now, and it works great and gives very reliable charges once the first hopper or 2 was run through it, although it will leak some powder from the sliding action and make a mess.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    The Lee beam balance is as good as any, but difficult to read (and it is too light). I would get the Lyman 1500 micro-touch scale myself, as I got rid of my beam balance back in the mid-70s. If I had to get a beam balance, it would be the RCBS 5-10 or 10-10--I want a thumb wheel for the 0.1gn adjustment and not a hanging poise that can be knocked off the correct setting.
    The disks are very consistent, but bulk density varies between lot numbers of powders. The "chart" Lee supplies, like any other such chart, is ONLY an indication of the weight to be dispensed. Normally, you need to move up one or two cavities to get the weight you want.
    Create your own chart of charge weight vs. cavity. If we could post Excel files, I would send my chart.
    Handloading is not for hand holding.

Top Bottom