Legislative Blog Updates Here is One

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Rep. Wooton also made an interesting statement when asked if someone was a hunter and carried his rifle from his house out to his car on a street, and there was a school within 1000 feet, would they be committing a felony. Wooton said no, it only applies to concealed handguns.

A strict reading of 14:95.6 should mean that it applies to any firearm, if I read it correctly. I'm certain he was referring to the fact of his bill only applying to concealed handguns - otherwise, he just said it was OK to OC in the "Firearm Free Zone."

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Dan,

What happens now since SB81 has an amendment and HB556 does not?

Until Dan gets out of his car, I'll pipe up on this.

It sometimes happens that there are two nearly identical bills that pass both houses. The Governor then usually signs one and vetoes the other.

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    Thanks Dan, Wade, NRA, Rep Wooten and all the others who have used their time and energy in helping get 556 and the other bills to the Capitol. Looking good ! :D

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    So now do we have to bombard Jindal with support or will he pretty much auto-sign something that passed the house and senate so easily?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    So now do we have to bombard Jindal with support or will he pretty much auto-sign something that passed the house and senate so easily?

We're not to that point yet. Each of these bills has only passed one chamber. At least one of them has to pass both chambers before it gets to the Governor.

I'm sure Dan can explain the opposition from the Education fronts far better than I can.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Rep. Wooton also made an interesting statement when asked if someone was a hunter and carried his rifle from his house out to his car on a street, and there was a school within 1000 feet, would they be committing a felony. Wooton said no, it only applies to concealed handguns.

A strict reading of 14:95.6 should mean that it applies to any firearm, if I read it correctly. I'm certain he was referring to the fact of his bill only applying to concealed handguns - otherwise, he just said it was OK to OC in the "Firearm Free Zone."

Wooton is correct, but maybe not for the reason he thinks. He is correct because the bill prohibiting firearms in the zone exempts those used in a constitutionally protected activity. The rifle would be open carried which is a constitutionally protected activity.

Now before everyone gets all giddy about being able to open carry in a school zone, remember that there is a federal law that only exempts concealed carry pursuant to a state permit. Thus you would be in violation of federal law.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We are not even half way to the finish line. Each bill will now go to the correct committee in the other house. SB81 will go to Wooton's house committee and HB556 to Martiny's Senate committee. They have to pass through committee without amendment and then pass whichever chamber they are in without amendment. Then they go to the governor's desk. If they are amended in any way, both chambers will get an additional opportunity to vote on the final version. Then off to the governor's desk.

Our worst mistake would be to become complacent thinking that we are winning. The Board of Regents objects to this bill. They carry significant weight. I don't know what they are up to, but you can bet it is something. It's kind of like those old indian fighters in western movies. They were most nervous when they didn't see indians because they knew they were up to something. I am that kind of nervous and will be until one of these bills gets through final passage without further amendment.

Dan

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    When they go before committee again, is it the same process as before.

Please let us know when they get back to their respective committees.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was reading a story Friday in The Advocate and there's a part I don't understand.
    Here it is.

Earlier, the House approved House Bill 556 that would allow concealed handgun permit holders to carry their weapons in “gun free” zones around schools, colleges and government office buildings.

What are they talking about with the government office buildings thing? I haven't read that in the bill.

1911heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2007
    I was reading a story Friday in The Advocate and there's a part I don't understand.
    Here it is.

Earlier, the House approved House Bill 556 that would allow concealed handgun permit holders to carry their weapons in “gun free” zones around schools, colleges and government office buildings.

What are they talking about with the government office buildings thing? I haven't read that in the bill.

Never rely on the accuracy of the information in a newspaper. ;)

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Never rely on the accuracy of the information in a newspaper. ;)

Believe me I know that, we have threads going on here now about The Advocate and their Glock 40 revolver.

I just didn't know what they were talking about when they said Government Building.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Ok I emailed the reporter and asked where she got the government office building deal and she just sent me the reply below.

gun free zones include government office buildings.

So what should I send her back?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I just sent her this. And told her HB 556 said nothing about Government Office Buildings.

Prohibited Locations

R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

A law enforcement office, station, or building;

A detention facility, prison, or jail;

A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;

A polling place;

A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;

The state capitol building;

Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;

Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;

A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;

Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Top Bottom