LEO disarms soldier illegally

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I always find it comical that the ones screaming "My rights, my rights" are the first to complain about businesses with signs that say they they don't want guns on their property. What makes your rights mor important than theirs?

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I'm just going to make this observation.

There are several people on BS.com that are rabid cop haters.

There are also a few opportunistic cop bashers on here.

Not many of either.

But none of them, despite what they may say on here, have ever said anything other than "Yes Sir!" to any cop they have encountered.

I'm just going to make an observation here- when the cop nuthuggers can't defend the actions of their idolized Leo, they resort to strawman, red herring, and ad hominem attacks.

I've lost faith in the pro-gun community, some of you are so hypicritical, happy to see others Inalienable Rights trampled on but don't you dare touch my 2ndA bc it's a Right after all. HYPOCRITS! Y'all need to wake up the rest of the Bill of Rights.

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    well if you think you wont get stop go walk out your door and strap on an ar or ak. make sure you film the results. get back to us on your results.

me personally i would have stop him. inform him of why i stop him. ask him to disarm and clear the weapon. if he didn't comply just like in this video. i would be the same thing that this officer did. OFFICER SAFETY FIRST! don't give a **** who you are. i'm an american to so kiss my grits. i'm going home to my family.

Another thing this is one of the most profession videos I have seen on youtube. No one said anything about fat boy not complying and even resisting at one point. All cops or pigs killers and thugs. So guess what stop calling them when you need help.

Last edited:

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    I will play devils advocate for a second :) What if the guy doesn't want to stop and talk? As a cop can you legally detain him solely for him having a gun on his person? Also, I didn't watch the video so I am certainly not taking sides. I just enjoy good, intellectual debates.

Any good cop would at least stop and see what your doing. Would you like to be that cop that didn't stop a possible mass shooting because, you didn't want to butthurt someone? He got hostile then start telling his kid to get the cam and record everything. Then started to get loud and act an ass. This could have gotten worst for him quickly but, it didn't lucky him.

Don't give me that bull that you can't stop me if I'm openly carrying a gun in public.

Sounds like a lot of people on here don't have family and friends in LE. I would hope all mine worry about their safety first.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    The SFC in the video (Army cat) acted like a dickhead. I just wish there were more emphasis placed on the operator receiving the complaint call to inform the general public of the legality of a situation as well. I know every call placed will be similar to lizards and dinosaurs, but it's also the call operator receiving the complaint that should get every aspect of what is going on in the situation that the officers will respond to, not just "there's a gunman walking down the street with an assault rifle, im scared" "okay officers are en route".

When approached by an LEO, I'm not above the law, and my safety just as much as his are top issue. I would absolutely let him know what was going on, I'm a concealed permit holder, and let him check out my rifle/pistol for his ease of mind. Never know when one wrong move could be interpreted as the last move you make here on earth.

Give the guys downtown a heads up and let them know what you're doing "road march, training, etc" so that if any calls are places your information sergeant can relay that the citizen means no harm and is completely within his rights.

They really aren't after your guns, they could give a **** less what you're doing, they're making sure the general public is safe as well.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I'm just going to make an observation here- when the cop nuthuggers can't defend the actions of their idolized Leo, they resort to strawman, red herring, and ad hominem attacks.

I've lost faith in the pro-gun community, some of you are so hypicritical, happy to see others Inalienable Rights trampled on but don't you dare touch my 2ndA bc it's a Right after all. HYPOCRITS! Y'all need to wake up the rest of the Bill of Rights.

Wow.

How did you get that our of what I posted unless you are one of the few?

SVT, you are a huge ******* where anything law enforcement is concerned.
    So much so that you are incapable of anything remotely resembling objectivity.

But you are dead on with your second sentence.

Obama (as well as others) thinks the Constitution is "flawed" and too limiting on what he can do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_xNyrzB0xI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMbxICNEDao

It won't stop with the Second Amendment.

But none of that has anything to with the fact that this clown got what he asked for.

Tboh21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The guy was an ass. He was resisting, poor communication skills IMHO. Got the response he wanted with the LE contact. The fuzz were doing their job assessing if he was up to no good, Axin' questions. He was carrying the long gun in an unusual manner. Legal but not common. Would have been a lot smoother if he had it slung over his shoulder and went on his way after they checked him out. Now he lost his CHP 'cuz he had to make a constitutional argument while armed and with the wrong folks.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Citizen vs. Cops. Both sides saying things they should know better not to say. Anyone else see the irony in this thread?

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Citizen vs. Cops. Both sides saying things they should know better not to say. Anyone else see the irony in this thread?

And with the lowering of hiring standards for police officers and the lowering of expectations by schools it will only get worse.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Any good cop would at least stop and see what your doing. Would you like to be that cop that didn't stop a possible mass shooting because, you didn't want to butthurt someone? He got hostile then start telling his kid to get the cam and record everything. Then started to get loud and act an ass. This could have gotten worst for him quickly but, it didn't lucky him.

Don't give me that bull that you can't stop me if I'm openly carrying a gun in public.

Sounds like a lot of people on here don't have family and friends in LE. I would hope all mine worry about their safety first.
    Uhm, what? Law enforcement officers' jobs are to uphold the law. I don't know how familiar you are with the laws or not, but according to the Supreme Court of the United States, in the case of the United States vs Nathaniel Black, it is unlawful to detain someone solely because they have are open carrying a weapon.

I quote: "Being a felon in possession of a firearm is not the default status. More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states."

More-so, the Fourth Amendment states that "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Open carrying a firearm cannot count as probable cause.

I am not a "cop-hater". I think cops are great. It takes a special kind of person to do that job. I am a believer that everyone is equal under the law. If a police officer sees someone walking down the street with a weapon and they detain them and ask for the person's weapon, should they not do the same every time they see a fellow officer walking down the road, mall, movie theater, or anywhere with a weapon? Of course not, because it is unreasonable because having a firearm is not reasonable cause for detention.

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    I see both sides of this.

The Army guy did act out unprofessionally, but he was within his rights to do so. (AND has fought for that right for himself, and all of us!)

The police officer(s) shouldnt have said what they said, and will more than likely lose thier jobs over this.

I have never had any issues with police officers in numerous states. Its all about showing them respect..Thats it!

Let me first say I wouldnt be in a situation like that. I wouldnt have been walking around with a AR strapped on my front side like I'm walking through the streets of Bagdad in Temple Texas or anywhere just because I can legally DO IT! That being said, I would have pre-disarmed prior to the officer(s) exiting there vehicle on my own.

You dont need to make a case for walking around with a AR in public in front of the police. You got to kind of put yourself in thier shoes.

I can bet this would have gone the other way if the Army dude handled it differently, and disarmed on his own. This isnt a MadMax movie.

Either way, all this does is make us all look bad.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I see both sides of this.

The Army guy did act out unprofessionally, but he was within his rights to do so. (AND has fought for that right for himself, and all of us!)

The police officer(s) shouldnt have said what they said, and will more than likely lose thier job over this.

I have never had any issues with police officers in numerous states. Its all about showing them respect..Thats it!

Let me first say I wouldnt be in a situation like that. I wouldnt have been walking around with a AR strapped on my front side like I'm walking through the streets of Bagdad in Temple Texas or anywhere just becasue I can legally DO IT! That being said, I would have pre-disarmed prior to the officer(s) exiting there vehicle on my own.

You dont need to make a case for walking around with a AR in public in front of the police. You got to kind of put yourself in thier shoes.

I can bet this would have gone the other way if the Army dude handled it differently, and disarmed on his own. This isnt a MadMax movie.

Either way, all this does it make us all look bad.

+1. I can legally marry an aids and std infested one eyed prostitute of my choice, but common sense dictates otherwise.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Wow.

How did you get that our of what I posted unless you are one of the few?

SVT, you are a huge ******* where anything law enforcement is concerned.
    So much so that you are incapable of anything remotely resembling objectivity.

But you are dead on with your second sentence.

Obama (as well as others) thinks the Constitution is "flawed" and too limiting on what he can do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_xNyrzB0xI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMbxICNEDao

It won't stop with the Second Amendment.

But none of that has anything to with the fact that this clown got what he asked for.

I guess I will have to add name-calling to the list, LOL

I've already lost all respect for you since our last discussion about Ron Paul where I caught you in an out-right lie. Also, I believe it's obvious to anyone reading my statements in threads like these that I am one of the ONLY objective people on here. THE GREAT MAJORITY of others responding are pro-leo, and RARELY think there is anything a leo can do wrong...how is that being objective?!?!?! Oh right, IT'S NOT! So spare me more your unsubstantiated claims. I am not a leo hater, but I AM A RIGHTS LOVER, and I won't stop defending others when it comes to these issues.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Uhm, what? Law enforcement officers' jobs are to uphold the law. I don't know how familiar you are with the laws or not, but according to the Supreme Court of the United States, in the case of the United States vs Nathaniel Black, it is unlawful to detain someone solely because they have are open carrying a weapon.

I quote: "Being a felon in possession of a firearm is not the default status. More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states."

More-so, the Fourth Amendment states that "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Open carrying a firearm cannot count as probable cause.

I am not a "cop-hater". I think cops are great. It takes a special kind of person to do that job. I am a believer that everyone is equal under the law. If a police officer sees someone walking down the street with a weapon and they detain them and ask for the person's weapon, should they not do the same every time they see a fellow officer walking down the road, mall, movie theater, or anywhere with a weapon? Of course not, because it is unreasonable because having a firearm is not reasonable cause for detention.

+1

pwned

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    I'm as pro-2A as can be, but it's common fricken professional courtesy to place lethal weapons out of reach when asked by a LEO. Of course, the outcome of all such interactions is entirely dependent on the attitudes they bring to it. We have the duty to determine if a violation of the law is occurring. If there is nothing wrong, you will be on your way. LEO has the right to ensure their safety by TEMPORARILY separating a subject from anything that they could use to do them harm until they have determined if they must make an arrest or not. This is the very definition of a "Detention". LEOs are also allowed to conduct a pat down (Terry Search) for the same reason. From what the article states is true; it wasn't even that. The responding Officer requested that this ******* put down his rifle (which was listed as being loaded).

Lately we have all these geniuses spouting off this and that about killing cops and cops can't do this or that. So barracks room lawyers, a cop approaches an unknown situation where a man is armed and he's supposed to read the guys mind that he means the officer no ill will? That the poor guy is just trying to make a 2A point? Gimme a break. Cops disarm people all the time that have not committed a crime. It's called common sense. The USSC calls it "officer safety" and has repeatedly upheld it.

You're never going to win the "I think I know my rights" game while carrying a loaded gun in front of the police. Most states permit an LEO to disarm someone for the duration of the stop, this is by state statute so your milage may vary depending on what state you're standing in at the time.

Reasonable articulated suspicion just from the limited information I have in the article.

Two males (not sure how old the son looks) walking near an airport with a slung 'military' rifle. (doesn't really matter to me what kind it is but whatever) And the police recieved a call about it.

When contacted he has an M4 slung on his chest, loaded (and a concealed handgun). The officer attempted to deal with it reasonably by asking him to set it down while they talked and Grisham refused. The officer has every right to disarm him for his own safety until he can establish if a crime has, is, or will be committed. If Grisham had behaved like a grown man (and the cop wasn't an idiot) they would have chatted for a few minutes and both gone on with their days. I wasn't there. I don't think any of us were. It sounds like both sides could have acted a little differently to avoid these stupid prizes. You just can't faceplant every person who doesn't comply, and you dont have to be a douche and scream "revolution!" every time someone checks to see if everythings cool if you're open carrying.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I'm as pro-2A as can be, but it's common fricken professional courtesy to place lethal weapons out of reach when asked by a LEO. Of course, the outcome of all such interactions is entirely dependent on the attitudes they bring to it. We have the duty to determine if a violation of the law is occurring. If there is nothing wrong, you will be on your way. LEO has the right to ensure their safety by TEMPORARILY separating a subject from anything that they could use to do them harm until they have determined if they must make an arrest or not. This is the very definition of a "Detention". LEOs are also allowed to conduct a pat down (Terry Search) for the same reason. From what the article states is true; it wasn't even that. The responding Officer requested that this ******* put down his rifle (which was listed as being loaded).

Lately we have all these geniuses spouting off this and that about killing cops and cops can't do this or that. So barracks room lawyers, a cop approaches an unknown situation where a man is armed and he's supposed to read the guys mind that he means the officer no ill will? That the poor guy is just trying to make a 2A point? Gimme a break. Cops disarm people all the time that have not committed a crime. It's called common sense. The USSC calls it "officer safety" and has repeatedly upheld it.

You're never going to win the "I think I know my rights" game while carrying a loaded gun in front of the police. Most states permit an LEO to disarm someone for the duration of the stop, this is by state statute so your milage may vary depending on what state you're standing in at the time.

Reasonable articulated suspicion just from the limited information I have in the article.

Two males (not sure how old the son looks) walking near an airport with a slung 'military' rifle. (doesn't really matter to me what kind it is but whatever) And the police recieved a call about it.

When contacted he has an M4 slung on his chest, loaded (and a concealed handgun). The officer attempted to deal with it reasonably by asking him to set it down while they talked and Grisham refused. The officer has every right to disarm him for his own safety until he can establish if a crime has, is, or will be committed. If Grisham had behaved like a grown man (and the cop wasn't an idiot) they would have chatted for a few minutes and both gone on with their days. I wasn't there. I don't think any of us were. It sounds like both sides could have acted a little differently to avoid these stupid prizes. You just can't faceplant every person who doesn't comply, and you dont have to be a douche and scream "revolution!" every time someone checks to see if everythings cool if you're open carrying.

Bingo

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If Grisham had behaved like a grown man (and the cop wasn't an idiot) they would have chatted for a few minutes and both gone on with their days.

generally has always been my experience personally. never been disarmed by a leo; in fact my favorite response of all time after acknowledging that i was legally carrying is

"you don't reach for yours n I won't reach for mine"

"heh, fair nuff."

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I guess I will have to add name-calling to the list, LOL

I've already lost all respect for you since our last discussion about Ron Paul where I caught you in an out-right lie. Also, I believe it's obvious to anyone reading my statements in threads like these that I am one of the ONLY objective people on here. THE GREAT MAJORITY of others responding are pro-leo, and RARELY think there is anything a leo can do wrong...how is that being objective?!?!?! Oh right, IT'S NOT! So spare me more your unsubstantiated claims. I am not a leo hater, but I AM A RIGHTS LOVER, and I won't stop defending others when it comes to these issues.

Sigh....

Ron Paul is a kook.
    Is that the outright lie I told?

You spew lies and crap about law enforcement all the time on here and then try to wrap yourself in the flag of being a "rights lover" when you get called on it.

You can't have it both ways.

And your hatred for me blinds you to anything I say.

I have a right to my opinion just like you do.

Get over it, and get over yourself.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom