LEO/Military Pricing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Before asking my dealer about his military/LEO pricing for a new pistol I'm wondering how it works. Is there a price fixed by the manufacturer or is it dealer discretion?

How does this work with the distributor the dealer buys from?

Does the dealer buy a LEO/Military gun direct from the manufacturer and bypass the distributor?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Keep on mind not all dealers are LEO distribuitors, that being said the few that are commit themselves to sell at an X Price, I assume once they establish an account with a manufacture (Glock,S&W, etc etc etc) they receive a special price themselves just so that they can still make a profit otherwise nobody would want to sell guns for LEO/Military.

You can probably pm LSP if I remember correctly he had something to do with purchases at some point so he can probably answer your question better.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Keep on mind not all dealers are LEO distribuitors, that being said the few that are commit themselves to sell at an X Price, I assume once they establish an account with a manufacture (Glock,S&W, etc etc etc) they receive a special price themselves just so that they can still make a profit otherwise nobody would want to sell guns for LEO/Military.

You can probably pm LSP if I remember correctly he had something to do with purchases at some point so he can probably answer your question better.

It is my understanding that the savings are from the excise tax from the Pittman Robinson act. Law Enforcement guns are exempt. Most dealers that do this require a copy of the officers commision to file with the paperwork. If the Dealer will give you LEO pricing without a commission that is on him.

That said, be carefull doing this. It is technically a straw purchase. IIRC this is one of the things they got Elliots on.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    It is my understanding that the savings are from the excise tax from the Pittman Robinson act. Law Enforcement guns are exempt. Most dealers that do this require a copy of the officers commision to file with the paperwork. If the Dealer will give you LEO pricing without a commission that is on him.

That said, be carefull doing this. It is technically a straw purchase. IIRC this is one of the things they got Elliots on.

Discounts vary from dealer to dealer based on weather or not they are an authorized LE dealer or just discount civilian guns to LEOs and others. Glock does offer LEO guns to not only LEOs, but also Fire, EMS, State Licensed Security, and Active duty military at discounted prices throught only authorized dealers. Other manufacturers may do similaar deals. I know as a Springfield Armorer I get 1 gun at 20% off of LEO price per year as long as my certification is current and I order it direct from Springfield.

The best thing to do would be to decide what you want and find out from them who the authorized LEO Factory Dealer is in the area. Most manufacturer's wont sell straight to a single individual LEO, only agencies. There are also some national LEO gear Gall's type companies that offer LEO guns to qualified individuals and agencies. An individual would have to have the gun transfered through a local FFL.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    10-50. Your agency creds are simply to establish your eligibility for the deleted excise tax.

There was some question about all the guys who bought ARs back during the "assault weapon ban"; and the concern was real, as the letter from one's chief/whatever allowed the individual LE person to purchase a firearm that was illegal for a non-LE person to purchase. Technically, those rifles and carbines that had the evil and illegal flash hiders/pistol grips/collapsible stocks belonged to the agency issuing the letter. If the ban had not been allowed to lapse, whenever those individuals gave up their commission for whatever reason, they would now be in possession of an illegal weapon.

Its a different deal with the LE "discount". Those weapons are legal for anyone (who can lawfully own one, anyway).

It was my understanding that this is one of the things Elliots got in trouble for. What Im refering to is if joe blow is my friend, and uses my credentials to purchase the firearm, even if it is his info on the 4473 its a straw purchase, because he is doing it to duck taxes. And one of ATF's job's is to collect taxes.

Same if I buy it with the intention to sell it to joe blow, which is absolutly a straw purchase or dealing in firearms without a license.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    It was my understanding that this is one of the things Elliots got in trouble for. What Im refering to is if joe blow is my friend, and uses my credentials to purchase the firearm, even if it is his info on the 4473 its a straw purchase, because he is doing it to duck taxes. And one of ATF's job's is to collect taxes.

Same if I buy it with the intention to sell it to joe blow, which is absolutly a straw purchase or dealing in firearms without a license.

I thought a straw purchase was technically only such if the intendedowner was nit legally able to buy it themselves. If I could buy a gin myself, but my wife or friend does f or me, ok. If I am a felon and they do.... Straw purchase.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Akajun is saying they do it to avoid taxes. Maybe it isn't a "straw purchase" by definition, but i'm sure it'll bring the wrath of the ATF regardless.

Top Bottom