LEO reserve

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    I'm thinking about joining the reserves with my local police department and wanted to see if anyone else out there does it. It is something I have always been interested in doing and regret not starting when I was younger. I'm in my early thirties so I figure better now than later. I can't afford the pay cut right now, so I won't be going full time, but maybe later I will be able to. I don't even know how much LEO start making per year. One benefit that I do have is that I'm bilingual in Spanish. Any advise or recommendations? Thanks!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm thinking about joining the reserves with my local police department and wanted to see if anyone else out there does it. It is something I have always been interested in doing and regret not starting when I was younger. I'm in my early thirties so I figure better now than later. I can't afford the pay cut right now, so I won't be going full time, but maybe later I will be able to. I don't even know how much LEO start making per year. One benefit that I do have is that I'm bilingual in Spanish. Any advise or recommendations? Thanks!

to get a taste for it just contact the PD and request a ride along. ride with a few officers and then make a decision. it's been one of the best educations i've ever received, and i absolutely love it.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I would get rid of that avatar. You know the heat is on for all the departments to get PC and that one could hurt your chances.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Reserve is great, but make sure the police department pays for your POST certification

Some LEA's only send full time employees to P O S T and the employee has to sign a contract to stay at least 2 years or repay all expenses incurred.
    Many go to a LEA that will get them P O S T Certified in order to get hired elsewhere and the turnover is huge. Many Reserves just want a gun and a badge and do not want to work.

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    The department I plan on joining makes me pay for post and then once I graduate they will reimburse me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It is well worth the time and expense. You really should try it before you get old. Do not let this awesome learning experience pass you by.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Theres pros and cons. Some LEOs welcome the opportunity to educate reserves and once you are competent they appreciate the help. Others live with a chip on their shoulder and will never see you as more than a wanna be playing dressup. If you are committed to doing it go all in. It is definitely a great experience for the right person.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Theres pros and cons. Some LEOs welcome the opportunity to educate reserves and once you are competent they appreciate the help. Others live with a chip on their shoulder and will never see you as more than a wanna be playing dressup. If you are committed to doing it go all in. It is definitely a great experience for the right person.

the reason they see them as guys playing dressup is because 99% of reserves just want a badge to flash their girlfriends. Hell we've got 20 or 30 on the list that I've only seen once. The 2-3 that actually get their hands dirty and show up regularly get a great deal of appreciation, but it is earned - and not easily.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Some LEA's only send full time employees to P O S T and the employee has to sign a contract to stay at least 2 years or repay all expenses incurred.
    Many go to a LEA that will get them P O S T Certified in order to get hired elsewhere and the turnover is huge. Many Reserves just want a gun and a badge and do not want to work.

How would someone with a full time job who is interested in becoming a reserve officer go about becoming POST certified? Would they have to quit their job in order to attend the academy, or is it different for different departments? It has always been something I was intereted in, but I couldn't quit my job to get certified......

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    How would someone with a full time job who is interested in becoming a reserve officer go about becoming POST certified? Would they have to quit their job in order to attend the academy, or is it different for different departments? It has always been something I was intereted in, but I couldn't quit my job to get certified......

Most agencies have a secondary part-time academy. Usually in the evenings 4-5days a week and some saturdays.

Sent from an unregisteted mobile device.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

They do an annual reserve academy. 2-3 nights a week and every other saturday for a few months. You'll likely be a reserve for a while before you get POST certified. Since 99% of reserves never show up anyway, they don't invest $$ until they know you're going to contribute.

Last edited:

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    the reason they see them as guys playing dressup is because 99% of reserves just want a badge to flash their girlfriends. Hell we've got 20 or 30 on the list that I've only seen once. The 2-3 that actually get their hands dirty and show up regularly get a great deal of appreciation, but it is earned - and not easily.

My experience was closer to 30%. But theres alot of truth in what you say. Thats why i say go all in. Leave your ego out and wear a thick skin because some wont accept or appreciate the help no matter how dirty you get. Bottom line is you have to be doing it for the right reasons. Good or bad you will be under a microscope for a while, and rightly so, by the ppl that may have to trust you with their lives. You may love it or find out its not for you. Theres only 1 way to find out.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My experience was closer to 30%. But theres alot of truth in what you say. Thats why i say go all in. Leave your ego out and wear a thick skin because some wont accept or appreciate the help no matter how dirty you get. Bottom line is you have to be doing it for the right reasons. Good or bad you will be under a microscope for a while, and rightly so, by the ppl that may have to trust you with their lives. You may love it or find out its not for you. Theres only 1 way to find out.

Just speaking from my limited experience, and I have no idea how it correlates to metro divisions. I've run into a few that said it wasn't for them, and likewise a few more that left high paying jobs to work it full time. It's something all of its own, and once you've done it there is nothing else that compares.

To anyone interested: just about anyone can request a ride along. Do a couple, and if you still like it- consider the reserves. FYI becoming a reserve is a great deal harder than simply raising your hand and saying "yeah ill do it".

edit regarding "getting dirty" - if you're going to go out there and then say "im not fighting/chasing through mud/etc because this is just a volunteer gig" - don't waste your time. That's one of many reasons that reserves are looked at as kids playing dress up. Firefighters, EMS, etc all have needs and desires for reserve assistance too. Choose whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:

tcazes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Houma
    I know I wanted to join reserves for quite a while but the lack of respect (which is two fold I can understand from a full time officer it is fact that reserves are essentially only in it when convinient) is why I didn't do it. I may look into it again for sure!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom