LEO Secondary Employment thoughts?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    If you're an LEO or not, I'd like everyone's thoughts on this. The city of New Orleans is starting an independent office to monitor and control all of NOPDs off duty gigs. I've heard back channel grumblings from some NOPD friends. What say you, BS forum?

speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not a LEO. Nor am I well versed in LEO employment. But typically off duty LEO's are used to monitor events, places of business, certain public affairs, etc. So how does using tax payer money to pay monitors make any sense when their job is to monitor LEO's who are monitoring off duty?

Sent from me my phone and I.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Okay. I misunderstood the fact this was going to be an outside agency.
    All law enforcement agencies I know of have a PAO or public assignment office. This is a department employee(s) tasked with receiving and assigning details.
    My thoughts on the NOPD situation are that after years of having a good old boy system, where some got literally rich, they have decided to take the job out of the departments hands and task a disinterested third party with the job.

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    There's a new office located within the Chief Admin Officer's office (redundant, I know). NOPD will have zero influence on how details are assigned. Those receiving detail requests are paid a flat salary with no commissions or cuts of the details. NOPD officers will be forced to rotate off their details at least once a year.

Doc Holliday

I'm your huckleberry...
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Watson, LA
    Prior to last year, our small municipal department's union controlled extra-duty assignments. For the most part, details were distributed equitably and everything ran smoothly.

After disputes over job performance between one particular officer and several detail employers, the COP decided that extra-duty should be taken over by the department. Since that time, politics and favoritism have apparently become the norm. Also, an exacerbating factor in the situation is that the person that was assigned to schedule details (a senior department employee) doesn't want the responsibility or believe that the department should be involved.

FunN4Lo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    I used to hire a lot of BRPD officers for off duty assignments at the company I used to work for. I had to go through a specific LT to make that happen. He monitored all of the officers and coordinated shifts. When I had to have someone, it was usually for several weeks or months. That would require multiple officers for any single position because they were all there on their day off. If I had multiple shifts/positions at times, there could be 10+/- officers coming and going in a week. No way in @*&# I could have managed that without the departments help.

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    It's still on the City to monitor and manage. It's just no longer in NOPDs hands.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I may be mistaken, but I believe a large part of the problem was that not all details were ever managed by NOPD as an entity. Some were managed through the department, but officers were able to arrange details on their own by getting a group together with a merchant and organizing their own schedules and negotiating fees without the department being involved.

All of our details are through the department, and we've established a system that gives everyone a fair shot at getting good picks.

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    I know some or the NOPD grumblings I've been hearing have been that the officers are now going to have to take a pay cut for details to offset the cost of this new office.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    As far as I know, none of the details were managed by the department, but by each detail coordinator, who is an officer. I think as long as there is no conflict of interest, it should remain the way it is.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    There was rampant corruption and conflicts of interest.

That's what the news article says on nola.com. Only needs to be an independent oversight committee. As far as corruption, well start at the mayors office and city council's office and work down. The appointment of the current chief to 'stop' corruption is a joke.

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    I'm going to bump this back to the top.

The new NOPD detail rates have been posted. it looks like the standard rate for an NOPD officer to work a private detail is $34. That's $29 to the officer and $5 as an administrative fee. This fee is to go to the new office to fund its employees salaries and the overhead costs of running essentially a security firm. NOPD officers are calling this a "tax" and have threatened to boycott private detail work.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    I'm going to bump this back to the top.

The new NOPD detail rates have been posted. it looks like the standard rate for an NOPD officer to work a private detail is $34. That's $29 to the officer and $5 as an administrative fee. This fee is to go to the new office to fund its employees salaries and the overhead costs of running essentially a security firm. NOPD officers are calling this a "tax" and have threatened to boycott private detail work.

They won't.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cruisewitro
    Top Bottom