LEO wearing Military ribbons on stand during Zimmerman trial

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Or, they could save some more money and custom make their own and have fun too!

6a00d8341cc08553ef017615a06352970c-800wi

The ribbons cost less than a soft drink.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    They do not have to have anything custom made, they can order almost anything they need from a Vendor.

Public Safety Specialties.

If that's the case then I don't know why the hell that department would do what they did. I still don't think ill intent is there, but yeah still pretty dumb.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I'm not a fan of commendations on police uniforms.

I'm also not a fan of wearing your uniform while testifying in court.

JR1572

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    It's not like they lied about what they did, or lie through omission and are registered members.

If they were users on this boar people wouldn't care as much.

Are you saying there are people on this forum that are trying to pass themselves off as something they aren't?

Does that mean the CIA doesn't hire straight out of high school?

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Who cares? If a PD wants to award a Purple Heart Ribbon to a Cop shot on duty or on that looks like an Army Commendation Medal to a Cop who earned a Commendation why does it matter?

Those of us who EARNED the ribbon in combat during active duty care and it matters because it is VERY disrespectfull and cheapens the meaning.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Maybe I can pin a purple heart to my scrubs if a psychotic patient breaks my nose someday when I get slower or they catch me off guard.

I just don't think that it's respectful of the original actions/situations that warranted the medal. The PD should have its own system. But hey, I can MMQB anything :)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    This whole thing makes no sense to me at all, they weren't claiming anything that they didn't earn and the vast majority of the population has no clue what those ribbons mean anyways. It's just like karate class, a brown belt might mean hot **** in your dojo, might mean ain't worth **** in mine, but if I see some dude in a brown belt I'm not going to get all asshurt and claim stolen ninjitsu over it. If a dude shows up to court wearing a brown belt to hold up his pants I'm certainly not going to the media over it. Different things have different meanings to different people. Don't we have more important **** to do than worry about a police department issuing ribbons?

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    ...if someone shows up to court to testify as an expert and has some dojo lookin' brown belt on, I'm assuming he is some martial arts expert. If he has no martial arts experience and is wearing a token of martial arts mastery, he's a ****ing douche.

If you're going to start throwing the "more important things" glove, you should probably not be spending your own time on bayoushooter at all.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    ...if someone shows up to court to testify as an expert and has some dojo lookin' brown belt on, I'm assuming he is some martial arts expert. If he has no martial arts experience and is wearing a token of martial arts mastery, he's a ****ing douche.

If you're going to start throwing the "more important things" glove, you should probably not be spending your own time on bayoushooter at all.

I'm sorry, I've just searched everywhere and I can't find a **** to give. Can you tell me why anyone should be offended by an officer wearing a ribbon she earned? If I had to guess I'd say she has no clue what that ribbon means aside from why it was handed to her. Getting asshurt over someone using the same pattern of colors on a tiny piece of cloth is a symptom of hypersensitivity.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i dont get it, you want a small town pd to pay for custom ribbons/medals/awards to be designed and made?

most small town pd's dont even have a coffee budget, let alone something so expensive.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Ok

Thread was mainly for discussion and sating my curiosity - not trying to change any minds. Not everyone posts purely for an argument.

That certainly wasn't my aim, you posted a topic for discussion, I replied. I'm being perfectly serious when I say I can't find a **** to give, I can't. Try as I might, I can't find a reason to care about this, to be offended, etc. It seems like a perfectly harmless act that is being made into a much bigger deal than it is. That's why I asked "Can you tell me why anyone should be offended by an officer wearing a ribbon she earned?" Because I honestly can't think of any reason at all.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    i dont get it, you want a small town pd to pay for custom ribbons/medals/awards to be designed and made?

most small town pd's dont even have a coffee budget, let alone something so expensive.
    Local gradeschools get it done. Doesn't have to be super fancy. Why not use starwars comic store emblems? Or startrek? That gives my inner geek a chubby!

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    my dad earned his ribbons on the wwii battle field I just think sucks that they would use the same ribbons for something else.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I had a hand in designing my agency's awards and commendations.

We did it through a specialty company and it was simple and reasonable.
    And any department/agency can do the same.

Top Bottom