Letter of the law or intent of the law.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Dumb questions but I would like an answer.

I carry ONE gun, for purposes of this question as related to concealed, and required by work as well as with a state permit.

Many carry a backup firearm. I happen to feel one is adequate since if the first fails to work when needed, when would I have time to get my backup.

A friend and I have been discussing this as he carries three guns at a time. He has a Glock 22, a S&W 36 snubbie and a Browning 25acp.

If one reads the concealed permit rules, law or whatever, it reads in paraphrasing, allows one to carry "a" concealed weapon. In the language, it would mean a single firearm in the strictest sense. In general intent terms, it could mean one could carry as many concealed weapons as desired.

Some states have wording that says "a weapon or weapons" and I know many of those here will have differing views on this and none have any legal basis. I have spoken with those in the DIstrict Attorneys office that I work with about this and they also have different interpretations of the wording of the law.

Next question: Yesterday, the Caddo Parish Commission passed a law effective immediately that carry on Parish property is illegal. Does that not go against Prop II that was recently passed and does that not go against State law which does not prohibit Parish properties per se? How does one know what property the Parish owns?

Last question: The Sheriff of Caddo Parish issues concealed weapon permits good only in the Parish of Caddo. His laws say that carry in a bank is illegal. Banks are not banned by State law. Which law would supercede in this case? If the Parish says no carry in banks, would that apply to those with State permits?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Next question: Yesterday, the Caddo Parish Commission passed a law effective immediately that carry on Parish property is illegal. Does that not go against Prop II that was recently passed and does that not go against State law which does not prohibit Parish properties per se? How does one know what property the Parish owns?

Last question: The Sheriff of Caddo Parish issues concealed weapon permits good only in the Parish of Caddo. His laws say that carry in a bank is illegal. Banks are not banned by State law. Which law would supercede in this case? If the Parish says no carry in banks, would that apply to those with State permits?

IANAL.
    I would say the new Caddo law is unconstitutional based on the new law just passed and also because of the old law that states that after some date long ago no local government can pass any firearm law more restrictive than the state law, or something to that effect.

And I would say the "no carry in banks" only applies to Parish permits or it would be unconstitutional for the same reasons.

JMHO

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Dumb questions but I would like an answer.

I carry ONE gun, for purposes of this question as related to concealed, and required by work as well as with a state permit.

Many carry a backup firearm. I happen to feel one is adequate since if the first fails to work when needed, when would I have time to get my backup.

A friend and I have been discussing this as he carries three guns at a time. He has a Glock 22, a S&W 36 snubbie and a Browning 25acp.

If one reads the concealed permit rules, law or whatever, it reads in paraphrasing, allows one to carry "a" concealed weapon. In the language, it would mean a single firearm in the strictest sense. In general intent terms, it could mean one could carry as many concealed weapons as desired.

Some states have wording that says "a weapon or weapons" and I know many of those here will have differing views on this and none have any legal basis. I have spoken with those in the DIstrict Attorneys office that I work with about this and they also have different interpretations of the wording of the law.

You can carry as many legal pistols or revolvers you want, provided you have the required training checked off on your permit.

If the parish restricts access to firearms on their property, I would not test it. It's their property, weather they are " private" or not.

Call the sheriff and ask, only they will know that about their permits. For a State permit, they can get mad but They can't tell you it's illegal if your statewide permit allows bank carry (which it does).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom