Letting go of the truck in favor of a car?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Hey guys. Yall did so well with the advice in my previous thread, I wanted to throw out another one.

Little background, I'll be 22 next month and have been working the same 55hr a week job for the last two and a half years. Pay is alright. Kinda what you would expect for someone who went to work out of high school.

When I bought my 2005 Silverado (a 2WD crew cab), exactly one year and two days ago, I was moving up from a 1998 4 banger S10 that was falling apart. I told myself I wanted more space to haul people and to haul stuff.

Well, a year later, the novelty has worn thin. While I really like my truck, Im not attached to it. I've realized I'm all by myself in a big 4 door truck probably 90% of the time. The only thing I haul is my four wheeler....about one or two times a month. I've also realized it's not 'cool' to get 14.5-15.5 MPG and your only toting yourself and an empty truck around. I touched 17MPG once, probably a fluke :rofl:

I have another truck. A 1993 Chevrolet fullsize (single cab, step side). I swapped in a 2002 5.3L V8 and transmission so now its pretty reliable, quick, and gets good gas mileage. It's a little rough around the edges, and doesn't have AC...but it can haul my four wheeler twice a month without complaining. And get better mileage doing it than my crew cab would empty. The insurance on it costs me $600 a year.

I've been looking at cars. Mostly Mazda 6s and Honda Accords. Approximately 2005-2007 models as those are worth about what my Silverado is. Now, I'm assuming I would probably cut fuel consumption in half, give or take. Turning a $200/mo fuel bill into a $100 a month bill. That also means if I want to make longer trips (as I've been wanting too) it'll be more afforable for me to do so. And lets face it...gas is not getting cheaper. Ever. Insurance probably wouldn't change.

Thoughts? Yes, the money savings isn't much...but the practicality is a big difference. I've never owned anything but a Chevrolet truck...is their a major difference in parts costs for cars like Im looking at vs my Silverado? I'm pretty mechanically inclined so it's not as if I'm limited to the dealership for every little thing. I've often diagnosed my trucks with a scanner, voltmeters, manuals, etc and fixed them myself.

Idk. Just looking for some general feedback. I may go browse some lots in the coming weeks. Right now this is mostly hypothetical.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    If you have another truck than can fulfill your truck needs then yeah why not?

The newer accord coupes are pretty nice looking cars. If you're worried about mileage skip the V6 and get the 4 banger.

If you're really worried about MPG, the mileage jump from an accord or other midsize car to a Civic is pretty substantial. You could even go for an older hybrid, like the original honda insight for some real fuel savings.

But overall I think the accord would be a nice car that sacrifices a little MPG in exchange for some substance.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I rationalized my self out of an 04 tundra in 2006 and into a car to save money on gas, etc. Less than two years later I bought another truck. I wouldn't do it.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Since you have another truck for your towing/hauling needs, if you won't take a hit on your new truck, go for a car and save some bucks.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Once a trucker, always a trucker.

When I was young & single, I always kept new Corvettes, but rarely drove them.

Then, I realized that it was expensive to keep an unused 'Vette; AND, no car is a "chick magnet", despite what some think.

If you want something to attract girls, a Jeep CJ WITHOUT A TOP is the only thing that works.

Stick with a pickup; if you don't, you'll be sorry !

leVieux

p.s. The Jeep has to be clean and neat, not a junker !

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Gas is only going to go up , at least for the forseeable future . SINCE YOU ALREADY HAVE A TRUCK , go ahead and get rid of the gas hog and buy a decent car . Most of those Japanese 4 cyl . these days haul ass . No need for a 6 cyl .

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As mentioned B$ since you already have a truck that can take care of your "needs" NO reasson to have 2 unless you needed something with more power to haul a big trailer or camper.

I was in a similar situation I had a 3/4 Ton GMC for weekend toy, and also had my little Mazda B2300 for work (work offshore) and to ride around when I didnt needed a nicer vehicle. I decided to get rid of BIG BOY 12MPG gas drinking bastard and bought me a BMW for my weekend excitement, I get triple the gas mileage depending on how I drive, its the ultimate chick magnet unlike the truck, its super comfortable and I can fit at least 3 bodies in the trunk LOL :) all while being "in style".

I would never own a big truck again, unless I had the need of pulling a camper otherwise a small truck takes care of me while giving me better mileage.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Why not get rid of both Trucks and go with a Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cylinder. You have a truck and a good gas saving engine. Best of both worlds. :)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I keep hearing people talk about having to get rid of a vehicle and go to smaller every time there's a report of gas prices increasing.
    Do this first. Figure out how many miles per week you drive. Then figure out the gas cost on your truck. Now work it out for the new one... its probably not that big of a deal.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I have a 2500 HD GMC, but it's paid for. I wanted gas milage so I got a street bike, so I ride that when it's not raining or cold, and use my truck for the rest. Hard to beat 65mpg. Might be an option for you.

Splash

Resident Basket Case
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Sulphur, La
    I keep hearing people talk about having to get rid of a vehicle and go to smaller every time there's a report of gas prices increasing.
    Do this first. Figure out how many miles per week you drive. Then figure out the gas cost on your truck. Now work it out for the new one... its probably not that big of a deal.

then take the savings in fuel cost and see how long it takes to recoup the money you have to spend to buy the new vehicle.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    My old Accord crapped out about 1.5 years ago, and since my commute is about 130 miles a day (Thibodaux to Baton Rouge and back), I went with practicality and got a little Honda Fit. It's the ugliest damn thing I've ever driven and I get some funny looks, but you can't argue with 38mpg.

I'm supposed to get transferred to Houma in a few months though, and you better believe this thing is about to get traded in.

If you have a long commute like I do, get a Civic or something (I got the Fit b/c having a hatchback at least lets me haul some stuff). Your wallet will thank you.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Ditch the gas hog, and little by little fix up the stepside.
    Why the need for 2 vehicles, if you were able to get better gas mileage with the engine swap?
    Extra car note? Double the insurance bill? Buying fuel for both rides?
    If you can somehow not have the car note, and insurance is cheap enough with both vehicles, sure, that would be more economical, I would think.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Ditch the gas hog, and little by little fix up the stepside.
    Why the need for 2 vehicles, if you were able to get better gas mileage with the engine swap?
    Extra car note? Double the insurance bill? Buying fuel for both rides?
    If you can somehow not have the car note, and insurance is cheap enough with both vehicles, sure, that would be more economical, I would think.

And drive around South LA with no air conditioner? :eek3:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom