Lifetime CHP - Worth it or not?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    So now Louisiana is offering a Lifetime Permit for concealed carry. My renewal is coming up and I was about to fill out the paperwork when I saw this. It's $500 vs $125/year, which you would recoup the cost after 20 years. I'm wondering if this is worth the cost or not. I am 31 btw. The potential downfalls is if I decide to leave the state for work and take up residence in another state. I don't see this happening at the moment, but there are A LOT of things that can happen in 20 years. Also, if the current administration or future administrations have their way and start crashing down on CCW laws (don't say it can't happen, because we all know that it can), you probably wouldn't be able to keep your permit and would lose some of the money you paid if it were to happen before 20 years.

Of course, there is a potential that if CCW permits were phased out in Louisiana, making concealed carry not legal, or simply just making it extremely hard to get a permit, would a lifetime permit be grandfathered in?

Maybe I'm just looking to far into the whole situation, but the one that I wonder about is if you pay for the lifetime permit, you are gambling that you'll not move away from Louisiana for at least the next 20 years. As someone who is only 31, I don't know what the future holds.

What are your thoughts on this?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm 30 with a 6 year old son but I won't be doing it. Too high of a probability that I'll move out of state. I'd only get it if I knew I was planted here.

I don't think it's worth basing the decision on the uncertainty of the political/legislative future though - over 20 years, it's just too unpredictable.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Same here, around the same age. You also have to consider the cases on the new 2A law too. I guess there is a chance that permits may not even be required, depending on their forthcoming rulings

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    It would have for me...

$100 back in the day (+ associated costs)

$100 for the first renewal (+ associated costs)

$125 for past renewal (+ more damned associated costs)

My renewal is somewhere down the road and that puts me at $450 for 13 years.

What I would like to see is a different renewal process. I think the current one is BS (you are literally re-applying as if it was your first time). I get the deal where some CCW holders have not gone to the range since their last course, and new laws are necessary to know, but having to pay money for prints and the application notary, and the exact same class is complete horseshit to me.

If the Lifetime permit cuts down on ANY application BS (submitting 13 page application and prints every 5 years, etc) it's more than worth it.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    No prints required for renewal, but I agree that the renewal should have just the 2 page form. The new picture is baffling as well. You renew your driver's license with a check and mailed in with the form. You get a sticker for the back of your license. Same should be done for the CHP.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Havnt looked at the new forms yet, but it is my understand you still have to do the training every 5 years. Do you just mail in a copy of the completion cert or???
    For me (34 years old) it would be worth it simply to ease the hassle. Waiting on a renewal, getting a letter for m the DA and another from the courthouse for arrests as a teenager, notary junk, etc.
    As long as I can swing the extra $375 at renewal time, it will go to lifetime for simplicity.

However, I do feel 500 is on the high side compared to other things.
    example- LA sportsmans paradise license is 100 a year and covers all fishing and hunting except fed duck, or regular licenses equal around 80 per year or so depending, yet a lifetime that covers all of the above is 500. But a CHP is 25 a year and 500 for lifetime.
    So, either the lifetime hunt/fish is a bargain or the chp is high. Oh, and if you move out of state, the lifetime hunt/ fish is still good when you visit or move back.

Top Bottom