Lightweight Gray Tennessee Arms Build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    This is my third build using Tennessee Arms Hybrid lower. The last two builds ended up in the hands of good friends that feel in love with them.
    My plans were to build this one like I had built my others, but a few things got changed.
    I placed an order for a lightweight DTI barrel with a carbine gas system from JSE Surplus, but was shipped a barrel with a Mid-length gas system. I liked the barrel but I needed a correct gas tube and handguard. I called JSE and the lady I spoke to said that she was very sorry for the mix up. I told her that I really liked the barrel but needed the other parts. She took my order and in two days I had the parts.
    I did have to change the front handguard plate from the triangle one it came with to a round one.
    I then stopped by one of the local shops and picked up an Arrow Precision upper receiver without a forward assist for $94.
    By the time I got home I had an email for Joe Bob Outfitters listing the Bootleg
    lightweight upper receiver on sale for $119. I couldn't help myself and ordered two of them, one for this build and other just to have on hand.

Last week we had a few clear days without rain and I was able to coat the barrel with Aluma-Hyde II.

29xhd8l.jpg

90nn2w.jpg

2qd97v5.jpg

I have always liked the early M16 three prong flash hider and they work great.
    11sihia.jpg

I uaed AIM's new lightweight Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Groups. Only 8.8 ounces! Approximately 27% in weight savings over a standard NIB BCG
    2005qo.jpg

I used the Strike Industries Enhanced Magazine Catch and Bolt Catch.
    33xhffn.jpg

I used the Fortis QD End Plate.
    2wqcozn.jpg

I took it to work yesterday and test fired it, only fired 12 rounds, and it functioned smooth.
    I don't know how long I will have this one because I already have a friend trying to get it from me.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    looks good, If you have the time, can you weigh it? Just curious of exactly how much weight is saved vs a standard lightweight middy rifle with forged receiver.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    looks good, If you have the time, can you weigh it? Just curious of exactly how much weight is saved vs a standard lightweight middy rifle with forged receiver.

The FDE one I built weighted in at 6lbs without a magazine. It had a standard BCG and upper receiver.
    ampew.jpg

The barrel on the gray one is just a tad heaver then the one on the FDE gun.
    The BCG is approx. 3 oz lighter. The upper is approx. 1.7 oz lighter
    I'm not sure of the weight of a standard back plate, but the QD one I used is about half the weight.

Top Bottom