Lightweight vs M4 barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightweight vs m4 barrel

• lightweight barrel

Votes: 11 42.3%
    • m4 barrel

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters

wallstdevil

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    New Orleans
    I was just wondering what you guys like more. I talked to a couple of leo and they like the lightweight as their duty rifles, just want to know what the rest like.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    It depends on the overall setup of the rifle. If I'm gonna have a full length rail, I'll go with the ligthweight, if not, then I prefer the gov't profile.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    the M4 profile in a 16" AR is really pointless, you see so many cause thats what they make since it "looks like" the military guns Since we wont be mounting an M203 on it, I'd just get a lightweight. My duty gun (LEO) has an M4 profile barrel, because thats what Rock River made and thats what I bought.

If you do get a M4 style, make sure it isnt heavy under the handguards. Standard RRA's are an HBAR profile under the handguards, which is useless weight.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    LW > *

tg535ttjcg6pa6go5fp6.jpg

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    If you do get a M4 style, make sure it isnt heavy under the handguards. Standard RRA's are an HBAR profile under the handguards, which is useless weight.

Actually it isnt useless weight, they have it that way because it absorbs more vibrations in the front and barrel area, therefore making the rifle have better accuracy. Thats why you notice all of the match shooters use HBAR style barrels, yes they like the extra weight, but it has other uses.

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    even though you arent using it for a match rifle, it still increases accuracy.

dzelenka,
    whenever you need it. and if its free then yes.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I don't think I need it. What makes you think it is you anyway?

You can shoot my lightweight carbine this weekend and prove to yourself that in this instance, the weight is undesirable.

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    perhaps the "LIUZZA" on the buttstock? then i also have the picture it was taken from.

would you rather shoot a rattle battle with a gov contour barrel or your lightweight?

That was the problem with the schmidt-rubens, it was a tack driver until you shot 4 -5 rounds within a minute, then your groups would open up do to overheating. If you noticed the barrels on those are relatively thin. Also, thicker barrels arent as sensitive to rapid fire as thinner barrels are.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Would you be willing to bet me the price of a Team T-shirt that LIUZZA is not on the buttstock of that rifle in a place visible in that picture.

Don't lose the forest for the trees. These "shorty" rifles are not for engaging targets at range. They are for up close and personal social work. If you need to engage targets beyond 200 yds, use another tool (although I know my shorty will hit much further than that). For non-military use for anything that we civilians might need, the lightweight is much more handy and plenty accurate.

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    hey this doesnt mean you can go blot out the liuzza,

and i meant the shooting 40 rounds in 60 seconds in general.

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    wow, FML.

anyways, you just proved that was me.

thanks, I guess that will be one shirt for $0.00

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ehatger1456