Lint / dirt / anything ever get in your carry gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mini14

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the carrying concept. I want to get my paperwork squared away later, but I just got a pocket gun and I'm wondering (only in regard to handguns):

1. What kind of problems do you guys get with dirt, crumbs, lint, etc. getting into the gun?
    2. Where does the dirt enter?
    3. How often do you clean these guns because of this?
    4. Police officers: Do you get problems like this with your duty holstered weapons?
    5. Do you get these problems with guns in other places:
    a. under car seat, b. under bed, c. boat, d. other... ?

I'm just trying to figure this out because I only clean my home shotgun once every few months and I have nothing to compare to a "carry gun". I want an idea of what to expect.

Thanks

-mini14

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I pocket carry a Walther/Manurhin PP, so its a big gun for pocket carry. Before I got the pocket holster, I had the problem of lint getting into the action between the barrel and slide, on the muzzle end. Lint would also get into the trigger area. I usually had to clean it every other day, sometimes every day. Since I got the pocket holster, I don't have any more problems.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I carry a 26 , usually inside belt but outside pants cause I'm not buying bigger pants

Around home though I carry in a C Tac...one of the kydex / leather inbreeds...

Yep, I get a little of everything wound up in my gun. Sweat in the summer makes it form a rust like substance in the receiver, lint dirt, you name it gets in everything...If I don't wash it out every week it collects a lot. It has never failed to function...gotta appreciate that

We have a lot of varmits including snakes, it's not unusual to pop something several times a week.

Gives a good view of Glock reliability....oh, and I don't use oil, when I did it was even worse.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    You can get little cans of compressed air at OfficeMax, etc., that are used to blow dust & particles out of computers & office equipment. Those are great for removing lint w/o disassembling the weapon.
    Also, try to not over-lube the weapon. Oil attracts lint.
    Good luck,

leVieux

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I use the air gun hooked up to the air compressor in the shop, works pretty good.

At the same time a good quality holster WILL make a big diference, it will not only protect your trigger from AD but it will also hold your weapon in the same place all the time which is a big +, train like you fight !

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    I have 2 that I carry, my Ruger LCP has a leather pocket holster made by Recluse, it has a trigger block, they make them for most pocket guns. The other is a Comp-tac monitaur holster, I carry my Kimber ultra crimson carry II on my side with. As stated by the other guys my only real lint/sweat problem is in the summer carrying my LCP in my pocket of my blue jeans. Other than that I don't really have any issues.

Last edited:

mini14

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Again thanks for the responses!

OK cool. So I'm getting the idea that LESS oil is better. The minimum to keep rust away. Maybe even a dry lubricant? What about car/truck guns... same problems?

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I carry an M&P-9 IWB daily in terrible conditions. I work in a woodshop and my gun gets filled with sawdust and crud. I clean it weekly but when I first started carrying it I purposely let it get good and nasty for about three weeks without any cleaning. It was packed with sawdust, lint and other junk with little to no oil left to be found. I brought it to the range and it ran 100 rounds flawlessly.

Point is...keep your carry gun clean, but a good firearm should be capable of performing under poor conditions anyway.

Psychosomatic

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Metairie
    I dont know about the rest of yall, and I know this is going to sound funny, but I dont like to use the compressed air cans on anything anymore since they put that bitterent in it to keep people from huffing it. I mean really, to ATTEMPT to keep dumb people from doing dumb things they really had to make everything I spray with their can of air have a violently disgusting tasting residue on it. *sigh* anyway back on topic I carry a LCP in a pocket holster most times and no real problem with lint, if Ive had to delint it once a month Ive delinted it alot.

~Psycho

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I carry my 26 IWB and it gets so dusty. On the part of the gun that is out of the holster it gets layered in dust. I use to have an issue with flaky deodorant getting on it and I switched brands.

Does anyone know how to write that sound that Scooby Doo makes when he's puzzled by something? Hhrrunhh? :)

Top Bottom