Long barrel vs. Short barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Okay so I've been reading up on different rifles and different caliber rounds and their ballistic info. But I was more curious about personal experience and preference from both the long range guys and even hunters.

What have yo guys found you work better with? Do you see a major difference between a 26" barrel and a 20" barrel. I know the velocity loses about 40fps for every inch but you can compensate for that. But does tha change hitting power? Accuracy of a tack driver to have the barrel shortened and recrowned.

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Bolt action specifically. A high velocity round such as a .308 ot .30-06. For close quarters I know a shorter barrel is better but I'm talking about distances of 200yrds to 800yrds.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    My 260 remington received an 18" barrel.
    My .308 has a 26" barrel.

If money was no object I feel a 20-22" can do it all.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Id say some of it depends on what ammo is being used. You can use a shorter barrel if the round is hotter. but then your going to wear out your barrel sooner. Assuming your not talking about close quarters urban style combat. For long distance shooting (200-800yds) the longer barrel has the advantage every time.

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Okay, so factory loads don't have the "umph" to put enough force behind a round, in an 20" barrel .308, to put it out to 800yards with stopping power.

I know accuracy isn't an issue. But the stopping power will be lessened with the loss of those 6" if you're comparing it to a 26" barrel.

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    knock down power for deer (which is the largest game I'd take with a .308). You were asking for distance keeping groups. I'm asking for knock down killing power. I can push a round out to 1k with an 18" barrel with the right load. I'm asking if with a shorter barrel will I lose power with a shorter barrel.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    knock down power for deer (which is the largest game I'd take with a .308). You were asking for distance keeping groups. I'm asking for knock down killing power. I can push a round out to 1k with an 18" barrel with the right load. [B]I'm asking if with a shorter barrel will I lose power with a shorter barrel.[/B]

You are giving up 250fps, what do you think? Of course you will have less killing power. You may still have enough for deer, but it will be less than you would have otherwise in a 26" barrel. Think of it this way, does a .308 have less power then a .300 Win Mag with the same projectile? The only difference between those two cartridges is velocity.

Bama2LA

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Found it...

This gives you the fps on a .308 round with a 26" barrel so subtract 240 (40 x 6=240) from all the FPS's.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/308Win.htm

Then this will calculate the ft/lbs of pressure. With the Rule of thumb being 1000ftlbs of pressure to kill a deer.
    http://www.theoben.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=5

Basically you'll have to drop below 1800 fps on a 165gr round to drop below kill zone.

Science is fun.

Last edited:

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Found it...

This gives you the fps on a .308 round with a 26" barrel so subtract 240 (40 x 6=240) from all the FPS's.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/308Win.htm

Then this will calculate the ft/lbs of pressure. With the Rule of thumb being 1000ftlbs of pressure to kill a deer.

Basically you'll have to drop below 1800 fps on a 165gr round to drop below kill zone.

Science is fun.

^THIS is an awesome calculator. nice find:thumbsup:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    For deer hunting around here I would go with the 20" barrel personally. I think you'll be able to take a deer as far as is reasonable with a 308 and it's much easier to manage in the hunting conditions here. 6" of barrel length isn't going to buy you much more effective range on game. If that 20"/308 combination isn't delivering enough energy then I would jump up to a 26" 7 or 300 magnum. That'll push your effective range way out past what you get with the longer barreled 308. In other words, if you're going to lug around a longer heavier gun in the field make it worth the effort.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Those extra 4 to 6" of barrel length are extending your range 50 yards? Are you really want to shoot a deer with minimum killing power as far away as possible? You're increasing your odds of wounding a deer and then having an extra 150 yards to cover before you can start to track it. Not good, especially as the sun is going down...

So, what are you gaining by cutting your rifle down to 18"? A bit of weight savings (negligible). More importantly, handiness. You won't get as hung up in trees and bushes. That's a big deal, depending on where you hunt. Do you drive to your stand? Do you hunt on the move? Brush hunt?

I dislike sitting in a stand over a field. Its booring. I like to walk in the woods and look for game. Preferably along creeks. Yes, I probably miss out on kills, but I enjoy it. Having a long heavy rifle would be a pain. I've used an open sighted enfield carbine or occasionally a 12 ga with an 18" barrel. The longest shot I would ever have to take would be under 100 yards. Moving through brush with a longer barrel would be a pain.
    Moral: Pick the gun to fit the situation.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I don't know about deer hunting at 800 yards. Of the 16 whitetails I've killed with my .30/06, all have been within 200 yards and some as close as 1 or 2 yards from the base of my stand. You can sight in a .308 or .30/06 to be within a deer's kill zone out to 300 yards without having to think about holdover. Beyond that, you'll have to memorize all your trajectory data and know the range precisely.

You'll probably have better luck working on your hunting so you can get within about 300 yards of a deer than trying to make a rifle extend your range to 800. You're not going to have a benchrest and sandbags on a hunt with you.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I believe a 22" .308 or .30-06 is perfect for all places except the most wide open areas. 22" is long enough.......and short enough.

Most deer are taken well within 200yds.

Top Bottom