long distance shots

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We have a 600 yard range at Palo Alto and a pile of very experienced shooters that shoot there often. What are you interested in? F Class (scoped rifle with bi-pod or rest) or prone (iron sights with a sling). Shooting 800 - 1000 yards requires a bit more attention to detail (like wind, light and mirage), but the basics can be taught at 600 or less (frankly, shooting 100 yards with a really accurate .22 is a great start).

NoLove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Slidell Louisiana
    the 22 or 223 at 100 yds is fun but i want something more. What i will be shooting is a REM. 300 ultra mag this time, here is a picture.

300ultramag002.jpg

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Work up to shooting long distances is like any other sport. There are basics to work on that are much easier (and WAY cheaper) with a smaller caliber than with a 300 RUM. Even with the brake, you may still develop a pretty good flinch if you're not practicing right. Depending on where you live, join Palo Alto or Long Range Ally and start working your way out. The average hunter doesn't realize how hard it is to shoot 1 moa out past 300yds where environmental factors start to affect the bullet. I'd suggest the same thing Dan said. Pick up a cheap .22lr and practice holding 1 moa at 50yards, then 100, learn to call your wind and push back to 150 and 200. Come on out to the prone matches and rent a service rifle from the LSA (Louisiana Shooter's Association) for $5 and you'll have some of the top shooters in the country teaching you how to shoot at 600yds.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    the 22 or 223 at 100 yds is fun but i want something more. What i will be shooting is a REM. 300 ultra mag this time, here is a picture.

I am only talking about shooting a .22 long rifle at 100 yards, not a .223. The .22 long rifle at 100 yards is excellent practice for using a centerfire at 600. Shooting a .22 at 200 yards is good practice for using a centerfire at 1000 yards. In both cases the effect of wind and mirage on the .22 mimics that on a centerfire at long range.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Pick up a cheap .22lr and practice holding 1 moa at 50yards, then 100, learn to call your wind and push back to 150 and 200. Come on out to the prone matches and rent a service rifle from the LSA (Louisiana Shooter's Association) for $5 and you'll have some of the top shooters in the country teaching you how to shoot at 600yds.

A cheap one isn't going to cut it. You will need a good quality .22 and target ammo (Wolf Match Extra, equivalent or better) to shoot at 100 or more yards with a .22 LR.

Everything else is dead on (except maybe the top shooters in the country thing).

Dan

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    A cheap one isn't going to cut it. You will need a good quality .22 and target ammo (Wolf Match Extra, equivalent or better) to shoot at 100 or more yards with a .22 LR.

Everything else is dead on (except maybe the top shooters in the country thing).

Dan

Well.....by cheap I meant cost....relatively speaking. I have a Savage Mk IIFV that will hold iddy biddy groups at 50yds. I don't think I have $600 total in the gun.

And of course we have some of the top shooters in the country! It's just that some of us are just starting out. :D

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    well, when Brandon Green is in town, we truly have one of the top shooters in the country in both across the course and long range. I had forgotten about him when I was typing.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I went with the Savage Mk II line since I wanted to be able to practice working the bolt from position while still maintaining sight picture. The CZ's are good and if you can find a Remington 40x in .22lr then snatch it up. For a repeater you can't beat a Ruger 10/22 though.

As with any rifle, don't go cheap on your mounts or glass. It won't take as much of a pounding as a centerfire scope, but you'll want something that is true to it's adjustments.

Last edited:

wallstdevil

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    New Orleans
    Ritten,
    Is there any specific upgrade I should do to the savage mark II? Or something specific i should look for? Sorry for all the question, but I'm really new at this.

Thanks,

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Ritten,
    Is there any specific upgrade I should do to the savage mark II? Or something specific i should look for? Sorry for all the question, but I'm really new at this.

Thanks,

My 2cents.

If you go with the MKII, pick the wood stocked model, it is much sturdier than that POS synthetic stock that savage offers.

I own a MK II BV, and it out shoots me big time :)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    We have a 600 yard range at Palo Alto and a pile of very experienced shooters that shoot there often. What are you interested in? F Class (scoped rifle with bi-pod or rest) or prone (iron sights with a sling). Shooting 800 - 1000 yards requires a bit more attention to detail (like wind, light and mirage), but the basics can be taught at 600 or less (frankly, shooting 100 yards with a really accurate .22 is a great start).

What would you recommend for a .22?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    My 2cents.

If you go with the MKII, pick the wood stocked model, it is much sturdier than that POS synthetic stock that savage offers.

I own a MK II BV, and it out shoots me big time :)

+1

I have the FV model (plastic stock) and although I only paid $250 for it, the stock is HORRIBLE. When I get the cheek pressure and grip right it will shoot awesome, but it desperately needs a laminate stock. Still, I'd probably do the same again so I can get an A4 style stock to shoot prone with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom