Long Island Iced Tea

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    So, I tried a mix I had in a bartending book, equal parts vodka, gin, tequila, and rum (it said light rum, wtf is a light rum????) some sweet and sour mix, and a splash of cola..

it tasted like ****.

any suggestions on a GOOD Long Island Iced Tea?

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Light rum is not dark rum. Like bacardi light vs bacardi gold. One is clear while another is brown.

Long island iced teas are delicious and sneaky if made correctly!!!

Go to a good bar and get one.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Lived off of those things in college and they are REAL sneaky. BUT, Guate I think is on the right track. They get wild and you think your John Holmes to boot!!!!

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    How big were your "equal parts"? Also tequila was never a component in the original recipe. The original is this; gin, vodka, rum, triple sec or cointreau. Tequila got added because when a bartender would explain how to make it they would usually say "use all the white liquors in the well" and of course all bar wells contain a white tequila. So here's how it should be made.

In a tall 12 oz glass filled with ice pour
    1/4 oz vodka
    1/4 oz gin
    1/4 oz rum
    1/4 oz triple sec
    1/4 oz tequila (if you want)
    add sweet&sour mix to fill
    splash of coke for color. Just enough to make it look like a glass of Iced tea.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We used to make Brooklyn Iced Tea. Mix up a batch of instant iced tea. Add vodka, rum, and anything else you have handy (not beer though, save that for the jungle juice).
    Best batch was a gallon we made on a camping trip. Three different people spiked a gallon of iced tea- two with vodka, one with everclear...

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Deltamud's recipe is pretty much spot on. NO TEQUILA. I've never made one with Ta-kill-ya in it. He's right about why people put it in too, because I've heard that BS from everyone...."Use all the clears, with a splash of coke for color."

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    If you keep them tasting horrible it could be a good preventative measure for vomiting out of someone's car window.
    I used to bartend and Deltamud seems to have it pretty close (its been a while).

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    The Bengal used to have long island iced tea nite $1.50 for a 16 ounce glass, If I could get back all those brain cells I'd be smarter than Einstien and Hawking combined...........

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    My sister and dad like the premixed Captain Morgan long island. Never had it, I usually stick to beer with a bit of whiskey or bourbon every now and then

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Trying to expand my horizon's a bit. :D Need to be able to make drinks that the girls will like......at least my long island was better than the whiskey sour I fixed.....

Maybe that is why I like fixing martinis and vodkatinis......nothing to mess up there, chill the glass, coat the inside in a dry vermouth, fill with chilled vodka or gin, garnish with two olives. (and she's essentially drinking straight vodka.....)

jjss

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Mar 13, 2010
    New Orleans
    some bars have a premix and just add a few liquors....theres several ways off going about it. i'm not a big mixed drink fan, but if its made right, long island's are one of my favorite drinks. the capt morgan mix in a bottle isn't great compared to a good long island, but its drinkable. best thing to do would find a bartender that makes it the way you like it and ask.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Deltamud has it right. I bartended for 12 years at the Hyatt's various bars in New Orleans. If you add tequila it's called a "TEXAS TEA". HOWEVER if you want to be a stickler and put tequila in it and have it NOT taste like crap, put 1/8 ounce of tequila (just a little bit) and increase the amount of triple sec. For an even bigger secret, add more triple sec anyway, and only add enough cola to make the drink the color of ice tea.

Peace,
    Swami

Oh yeah... make sure it's a HUGE glass, a hurricane glass works best.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Fill a hurricane glass completely with ice, don't half-ass the ice. 1/4 ounce light rum, gin, vodka, triple sec. Splash of tequila and an extra splash of triple sec. Fill to maybe 1 inch from the top with Sweet and Sour mix, then add coke to get the color right and top off with S&S as needed.

Now as far as taste... Buy Mr. and Mrs. T's S&S mix. I wouldn't suggest Grey Goose and Bombay Sapphire in a Long Island Iced Tea, but at the same time I wouldn't buy the absolute cheapest stuff either. Shake the holy beejeezus out of this and then top it with a lemon, by the way! :D

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The Red Lion in Honolulu had a good Long Island Iced Tea, it is called the Rock Bottom now so the drink may have changed with the name. If I were you I would just hop on over and find out if the Rock Bottom can live up to the Red Lion's reputation.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom