Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With*AK-47

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/09/07/long-island-man-arrested-for-defending-home-with-ak-47/

September 7, 2010 11:00 PM

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.
    But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.
    He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.
    Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.
    “He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.
    Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.
    “What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.
    Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.
    Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.
    “They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.
    You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.
    Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.
    That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    In other words a system was used to detect controlled fire from a ak-47 variant rifle, where if he would have fired an entire magazine into the air the cops would have ignored it waited for somebody to report the smell of decomposing bodies, and then said it was gang violence and they couldn't do anything about it at that point. Glad to see the law is helping the citizens there.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    From the quick googling I did, the system detects any gunshots, not just those from an ak-47, and sends the info to the police who will generally rush to the area. From the story, the guy who fired the AK knew that and shot the gun as a warning to the gang members and also to get the police out there quicker.

If someone were to fire an entire magazine into the air, this system would work the same way and cops *should* be showing up very quickly within 35 feet of the fired gun. Sounds like a good system to have in place IMO especially in areas that are known for gun violence.

Lots of Sarcasm implied. Sorry it didn't come through.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So it is the typical media response where the AK-47 really had nothing to do with it and he most likely would have been charged the same way had he used a .22LR derringer.

Got it.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    That's too bad. Arrest the family man for defending himself and let the gang members have a field day at his undefended home. How did we get so upside down as a country?

Dave

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    That's too bad. Arrest the family man for defending himself and let the gang members have a field day at his undefended home. How did we get so upside down as a country?

Dave

Agreed I think I would be moving away from there, If im at the damn mercy of a gang instead of them at the mercy of ME for defending my home! It's all for the damn criminal these days, if you shoot someone in your home for breaking in they can sue you, that such B.S., its like that avatar I see, Don't steal the government don't like competition, and they are starting to make it more n more easy for the criminals and NOT the law abiding citizens, ok end rant....

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    So...4 shots fired gets quicker response than a 911 call of "my husband is outside our house surrounded by 30 gang members and there are weapons involved".

Hmmmmmmm. Interesting.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.
    Words sufficient to excite genuine alarm in the average person, placing them emotionally "in heat of blood." The causer or causers are responsible for their actions. He should have killed them all and walked on a manslaughter charge. The cops charged him with shooting holes in the ground??? The cops got holes in their heads on this one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom