Long range AK Tech Specs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Hey guys,

Getting a ton of questions on the AK Sniper, I want to give y'all a run down on the build.

First we started with a Saiga .308, it was mentioned numerous times, as well as when we chose the off the shelf match ammo and loaded up hand loads for it on camera, I guess it didn't make the cut, details often don't make it in. And whomever would even think a X39 round is capable of that range is probably not a buyer anyway....

We used a stainless Kreiger 1:10 34" blank, it was chambered with an obermeyer match chamber for Reliable feeding and proper throat for the 168 and 175 grain loads and turned down to ~1" and cut at 24".

The gas system was cut as short as possible and uses a Micro Galil piston, the gas tube is a galil piece that was cut down and integrated into the RSB so it would free float and not touch the FGB.

The FGB is a fully new fabricated unit so the gas piston would not touch.

The Barrel was floated and bedded using a block that was integrated and pressed into and onto both the Trunnion and Receiver (Slips under and past the front trunnion for quite a ways, almost to the mag hole) the free float tube was pressed over that block and screwed to the receiver and Bedding block.

The Barrel was head spaced tight after the bolt locking lugs, bolt face, Trunnion and Barrel face was all parallel ground.

The FCG started as an Off the shelf unit which was redesigned and the sear re-profiled to have a neutral and shorter engagement. It was also setup with adjustable pre-travel and over travel stops. The hammer was lightened and the Heaviest hammer spring I could find was used to bring the lock time down (I think it was an FPK).

The Carrier was fitted to the receiver as tightly as possible and smoothed to ensure function, the recoil spring was a brand new Galil Telescoping unit with a new rear over travel stop in place of the .308 version.

The receiver was boxed for stiffening at the rear with an extra heavy weld-on plate and fitted with a PRS stock.

I would like to develop a set of stiffening rails for the whole receiver but the trunnion and bolt lock up tight as hell.

I think that was about it as far as high points, there was a lot of detail stuff done that only shows up as the guns are built.

The First group shown on TV was actually a 5 round group at 100 yards with one as a flyer (new trigger for the shooter), the 4 were in the one hole to the lower right (about .2 MOA) .After that I guess it is kind of uninteresting for TV to see the groups naturally spread as the distance increased... It's hard to beat Shooting through a windshield ,a back glass and popping a bad guy in the neck and hitting an 8"X10" baggy of SureShot tapped to a propane cylinder right behind him for a demonstration of it's capability. We are not on the Military channel guys, little bitty holes punched in paper at 100,500,800 and 1000 yards are not interesting to most of the world, I am surprised that any of the sight in groups even made it in!

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Thanks for the info! I know they edit the crap outta everything. I gotta say last night I watched the episode with the OCC crew and gotta say was my favorite to date! I have to DVR the show but man between them and Mr Jerry Miculek that was a awesome episode! You guys just keep the good stuff rollin and I'll keep saving for the supressed ak!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It really is a shame what the editors do to the show, and I'd pin that as the number one source for questions and hatin' on y'all receive. I did recognize it as a Saiga .308 immediately, but unless I missed it not once was the caliber mentioned on the show. The way it was edited, you guys simply slapped a barrel and trigger job on an AK. I know they can't spend an hour showing technical build stuff, but hell even one minute worth of the info you just shared would have been nice.

Thanks for sharing the details, definitely answers a lot of questions I had. Sounds like a beast of a rifle!

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I could see the machine work on reciever in a couple scenes. I know ALOT of work had to go into that just by looking at it. It looked like a huge task but I agree with speedracer they edit it to make it look like it's just a ak with a big barrel and trigger job.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    It really is a shame what the editors do to the show, and I'd pin that as the number one source for questions and hatin' on y'all receive. I did recognize it as a Saiga .308 immediately, but unless I missed it not once was the caliber mentioned on the show. The way it was edited, you guys simply slapped a barrel and trigger job on an AK. I know they can't spend an hour showing technical build stuff, but hell even one minute worth of the info you just shared would have been nice.

Thanks for sharing the details, definitely answers a lot of questions I had. Sounds like a beast of a rifle!
    Thanks man , we feel the same way about it ourselves . Will

Last edited:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Thanks for the info. Just a "what if", here. What would you think about using a Yugoslav M76 (8x57mm) action instead of the Saiga? Would it have had any effect on the strengthening/stiffening work you had to do on the receiver?.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I was wondering about the gas system and the receiver strength. I hadn't thought about having to free float the gas system though. Very clever. I wish the producers of the show would give the technical stuff more and less other crap.

Dave

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Thanks for the info. Just a "what if", here. What would you think about using a Yugoslav M76 (8x57mm) action instead of the Saiga? Would it have had any effect on the strengthening/stiffening work you had to do on the receiver?.
    we didn't really do anything beyond our std planning and truing to the receiver . Yeah , it would have made the forarm mounting easier and helped in a couple other ways . But the "what if" was based upon our using the same gun we sell every day as the base

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    You should bring it out to the FPR match on the second saturday of the month. That would be cool to see it in person doing what it does best.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    I was wondering about the gas system and the receiver strength. I hadn't thought about having to free float the gas system though. Very clever. I wish the producers of the show would give the technical stuff more and less other crap.

Dave
    I understand the theory behind their editing decisions but that's not the same as being 100% on board with all of them . I think I'll let it go at that before they sue me ;) On our side of the house , we're looking at producing video's showing the tech details and build focus of some of these projects .

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    Thanks for the info on this rifle. I was a bit puzzled myself as to what you had truly built as the editing didn't do that rifle any justice. On another note Jerry was unreal with that suppressed AK in his hands. Surprised BATF hasn't made him register his trigger finger:rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom