LONG RANT - Eye Dominance, Stance, & Unsolicited Instruction

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    Bit of a rant/question/tell me if I'm wrong moment.
    I've never really asked anyone but this weekend had an incident that aggravated me enough to bring it up here.

Here's the deal.
    Right handed, Worn contacts since 13 years old, 31 now, yearly eye exam always had the same prescription in both eyes. As far as I can tell, through all the non scientific tests for eye dominance, I have don't have one. The hole in the hand/paper brought to your eye test yields about a 50/50 result, and sometimes its funny to watch bc i'll get 6 inches from my nose and the lack of dominance is clearly visible as the paper stops and I go crosseyed.

I honestly don't know if vision per eye is what dictates the dominant eye, being I have the same prescription in both I would just assume that is a contributor. I have been shooting for 10 years, and because of the issue, I CANNOT SHOOT ISOSCELES. Having the gun centered or close to it in that stance puts my eyes constantly fighting each other and I notice when my left takes over and have to squint my left eye for a second to get the right to take back over until it happens all over again.

Due to all that I have always shot in what I knew as modified Weaver, I guess others call it Chapman but I didn't know that was a thing until a few years ago. I just did what was comfortable. Right arm locked straight, left just slightly bent, body slightly bladed but still mostly square to target, and cheek naturally against inside right bicep, push/pull and thumbs forward grip. Now when I do this, it's instinctive, from a draw it just all snaps into place, even from compressed ready, 10 years of shooting this way it's instinctive, and I have NEVER had an accuracy problem (at least not from stance, trigger control is another story). Having my right eye looking straight down my arm into the sights helps to keep my right eye in charge. Some days I do have to just barely squint my left to keep it that way. So tell me, AM I WRONG?? Any suggestions?

What led to this is post is I went to a Big Box outdoors store to look at a certain gun, I usually get it, point towards floor and index the sights a few times, and if there is an empty/safe area, I'll safety check again and point it towards a wall in my preferred stance, no high speed ninja stuff just casually, slowly, and safely, always treating it as if it were loaded, no muzzle sweep, etc. My whole goal is to see how naturally it points, if I can properly index the front post with minimal correction when punching out, etc.

Well this guy at a case next to me was watching me I guess and said "That's not a good position" I politely said "I know, but I have my reasons for it, thanks though" Well that wasn't enough and he went on to tell me all about what I needed to do, I let him drone on without even acknowledging him, just looking over the case. I asked to see another gun and when I went to raise it he decided to touch my left elbow into the locked position, I locked the slide, set the gun down, and in so many maybe more intense words said, don't touch me again, I appreciate your help, but did not ask nor do I need it, I have an eye dominance issue and shoot the way I shoot, and have never had a problem. (I have had to defend my stance a few times over the years so I'm used to it.) I guess it shocked him as he apologized, said he just likes to help new shooters. I let him know in a less than friendly way that I wasn't a new shooter, and did not need his assistance. I moved a few cases down and nothing else was said by either one of us.

In all the times I have been to ranges/gunstores, I have never once tried to correct or help someone unsolicited (unless I hear the word clip then it's like Tourette's and I cant help it). I am NO EXPERT in anything but I have been asked questions, and if wanted, will offer an opinion, but I am of the belief people in this day and age need to mind their own business a little more, and post a few less pictures of their meals on facebook.

With all that said, if that guy is a member here, I'm kinda sorry if I over reacted, but not really.

And to everyone else, Am I wrong in my philosophy on my stance or any opinions on improvement, is there something better I don't know about?
    I usually run single dot fronts and sharpie blacked out rears, and am waiting on some fiber fronts to come in and revisit isosceles with that setup, but pretty sure it wont make a difference.

Thanks for listening, just send me the invoice.:)

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Not sure about the stance issues, but do what works for you.

I let him know in a less than friendly way that I wasn't a new shooter, and did not need his assistance.

Touching you was a little over the line, but responding in a "less than friendly way" didn't help any, especially since you said he apologized.

In all the times I have been to ranges/gunstores, I have never once tried to correct or help someone unsolicited (unless I hear the word clip then it's like Tourette's and I cant help it).

So by your own admission, you have also give unsolicited correction or help, same as he did.

but I am of the belief people in this day and age need to mind their own business a little more, and post a few less pictures of their meals on facebook.

I agree with the above, but I am also of the belief that we need to all be a little nicer and more polite to each other.

JMHO, since you did ask. :)

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm truly sorry for trying to help!! I don't know why I do that because I can barely shoot myself lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    My questions for you: 1. With your prescription contacts in, is the front sight in perfect focus? 2. I'm sure you wear shooting glasses, have you tried putting a 1" piece of scotch tape on your left lens to block out the left eye from seeing the sight? I trained myself that way to be able to shoot with both eyes open. 3. If your prescription contacts does not allow a clear focus on the front sight, have your eye doctor give you a shooting prescription for your right eye to focus on the front sight. I usually bring my slide with me to the eye doctor so I can focus on it and I get two prescriptions, one normal, and the other for my shooting glasses with the right eye set for the front sight. (make sure he turns all the lights on in the room). 4. Stance is a matter of preference, shoot how your comfortable, but I will say isosceles has more options if your are shooting competition. 5. If I see someone at the range either shooting or teaching there wife, child, etc. and using a cup and saucer hold, or thumb behind the slide, I will offer advice on gripping the gun properly if they like, if they aren't interested I just stfu and let them waste bullets or tear skin off their knuckle. ( I will say most people see me shooting and my target compared to theirs and gladly take my advice.) I too cringe when I hear someone say "clip" or "banana clip". If this is helpful, your are welcome.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    Not sure about the stance issues, but do what works for you.

Touching you was a little over the line, but responding in a "less than friendly way" didn't help any, especially since you said he apologized.

His apology was somewhat condescending in my eyes

My paraphrased response to the touching was "Thanks for the offer, I use weaver because of my eyes but c'mon man this ain't prom night don't touch me." His word's were something like "Sorry you looked confused about how to stand, just trying to help a new shooter" "And I said no...I'm not a new shooter, but have reasons for the stance. If isosceles is the only stance you know maybe your the new shooter.

So by your own admission, you have also give unsolicited correction or help, same as he did.

If I'm talking directly to someone and they say clip, i'll say "is that like a magazine?"

I agree with the above, but I am also of the belief that we need to all be a little nicer and more polite to each other.

JMHO, since you did ask. :)
    I am above no one, and appreciate your opinion.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    I'm truly sorry for trying to help!! I don't know why I do that because I can barely shoot myself lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LMAO had to look at your avatar to make sure. This guy had a Harley fanny pack and was OC'ing what looked like a PF9 for whatever reason.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    My questions for you: 1. With your prescription contacts in, is the front sight in perfect focus? 2. I'm sure you wear shooting glasses, have you tried putting a 1" piece of scotch tape on your left lens to block out the left eye from seeing the sight? I trained myself that way to be able to shoot with both eyes open. 3. If your prescription contacts does not allow a clear focus on the front sight, have your eye doctor give you a shooting prescription for your right eye to focus on the front sight. I usually bring my slide with me to the eye doctor so I can focus on it and I get two prescriptions, one normal, and the other for my shooting glasses with the right eye set for the front sight. (make sure he turns all the lights on in the room). 4. Stance is a matter of preference, shoot how your comfortable, but I will say isosceles has more options if your are shooting competition. 5. If I see someone at the range either shooting or teaching there wife, child, etc. and using a cup and saucer hold, or thumb behind the slide, I will offer advice on gripping the gun properly if they like, if they aren't interested I just stfu and let them waste bullets or tear skin off their knuckle. ( I will say most people see me shooting and my target compared to theirs and gladly take my advice.) I too cringe when I hear someone say "clip" or "banana clip". If this is helpful, your are welcome.

1 It's so hard to explain. When my right eye is in charge I'm all good, but I'll naturally blink and then left eye randomly takes over and my sight picture is all wrong. I blink or squint my left eye and eventually it will snap back to my right eye sight picture. It's just all at random. Regardless of which eye is in command the front sight is sharp, rear is soft, and target is a little blurry. Just when my left takes over I no longer have correct sight picture for the plane which that eye is seeing.
    2 I am not as brilliant as you are as I went full out piece of masking tape over the left lens, which looks a bit more than odd at a public range. Insta-headache. Might have to try the scotch tape seeing as its more translucent. 3 focus is good just dominance keeps switching mid sight picture, that would be great for competition or bullseye. 4 I def agree, the modified weaver/chapman is what I instinctively went to as it keeps my right eye in charge a good 90% of the time. I can shoot isosceles ONLY if I keep my left eye closed constantly and I just cant do it. I am also not cross dominant as I was recommended to shoot left handed to see and aside from the clumsiest mag changes in history my right eye would randomly do as my left did when shooting right handed. 5. Yeah I have what I feel is a proper grip, thumbs forward, support hand filling the void. If I see a teacup I leave it, not my place. I have seen the support hand around the strong hand wrist waiting for slide bite, but before I had time to decide on speaking they had a close call and corrected it themselves.

I appreciate the input and will look into some of it. I'm not the best shot, but also not the worst. I see all these teachers, instructors, and high speed guys always drilling these one size fits all theories and do it this way or your wrong, and I'm not knocking any of them or their techniques but sometimes there will be reasons to deviate.
    Really I just wanted to know if anyone ever heard of a non-dominant eye, and if I was the last person on earth shooting chapman.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Only if I can get a sweet Terminator replacement!

And you don't think the Terminator eye would be dominate? Interesting, thought everyone had an easily determined 'dominate eye'. Shoot whatever stance works for you. Don't care for the Isosceles myself, I use I guess a slightly squared off modified Weaver... Whatever that is.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I drift my rear sight ever so slightly to the right and I have been told how to correct my aim for years. I just tell them, "I brought this ugly woman to the dance and I'm going to dance with her." Go fix someone else. Do whatever works for you.

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    And you don't think the Terminator eye would be dominate? Interesting, thought everyone had an easily determined 'dominate eye'. Shoot whatever stance works for you. Don't care for the Isosceles myself, I use I guess a slightly squared off modified Weaver... Whatever that is.

Atleast then I would have a dominant eye! I didnt know non dominant existed either. And it might be that there is a dominant but not so much that it always takes over. Grew up only with rifles so it never came up. Bought a pistol at 21 and that's when it became an issue. Even on my ARs with eotechs I shoot nose to charging handle so that my left eye can really only see the protective hood and that kind of stops it.

For anyone curious...point your gun at something with a normal right eye sight picture, then close your right eye. Then switch which is closed a few times. Everytime I blink I don't know which sight picture im gonna get.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I understand your dilemma. Really!

Attachments

• marty-feldman.jpg
      marty-feldman.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 98

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Well, I can't comment to the eye dominance or stance issues here, because I've got my own. I shoot with my right eye. My prescription is much stronger for the left eye for distance vision, but I don't wear glasses when I shoot. I can focus on the sight just fine, and since I'm not focusing on the target, I find wearing glasses just makes it harder to shoot. I have trouble focusing with both eyes open, so I close my left eye when I shoot. If I don't, then my eyes struggle to focus on the sight. Maybe I have eye dominance issues as well, now that I read this. But frankly, I don't think much about it. I just shoot, and let my eyes do what they need to do. Is that a problem? Is there a reason you should have both eyes open?

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Your response was much nicer than what I've said in the past.

"Go !@#$ yourself" is my usual response to unsolicited advice.

I have a dominance thing also as I'm kind of ambidextrous. I shoot pistols left handed, rifles right. Pool I shoot comfortably either way.
    I throw balls, darts, and grenades right handed, and write left handed. Guitar and drums I learned right handed (high hat on the left).

I'm all jacked up. Heh!!

Edit: I prefer the Isosceles for semi auto pistols, I hold revolvers differently though. My right thumb I do not like to place in line with the barrel due to that silly cylinder gap space. I did just fine holding a Modified Weaver for years. The revolvers have been expensive to feed for the last several years, so I haven't taken them to the range in a while. I want to say that I preferred the Modified Weaver for my heavies (41 mag and up). I'd have to break them out to be sure on that though.

I think hitting the target reliably is more important than what the cool kids prefer anyway. So if that means modified Weaver for you, do it.

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Calm down , don't let this department store "expert" get to you. He's more than likely an idiot.
    Shoot whatever way works for you. All of us are different , eyes , arms , dominance , non dominance. Do it the way that feels most comfortable and gets the best results.
    Don't listen to so called "experts" there are many ways to skin a shooting cat and who's to say your way is wrong! Make up your own stance and shoot with whatever eye . I even commit the heresy of , o my goodness , shooting with one eye CLOSED !
    I shoot better with one closed so I close one eye. I even shoot one handed....surprisingly accurate if you close an eye and practice.
    1eric.....just do it your way and if someone doesn't like it just tell him to kiss your.....
    Gary

x1eric

UNSC Spartan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Denham Springs, LA
    Thanks guys, my outlook on it is pretty much confirmed. I'm accurate, it's comfortable, and I don't really care if it's not the latest in training philosophy. I have a physical vision related reason for doing it and feel unless someone has the same vision issue as me they are not in the same boat to tell me how I should be doing it.

There was a time when one handed pistol shooting was the preferred thought and it has evolved from that. I was more wrapped around how someone endorses a new or certain technique for something and then all the other instructors, top level competitors, and industry people jump on it, teach it as gospel, and act as if it's the only way, and then it trickles down to everyone with a youtube account, and then to all the people who regurgitate it. I understand the merits of certain things that are taught but it just seems there needs to be more leeway in the "some people can do it that way" dept. It's not like I'm shooting with my feet, it's just not isosceles.

I think this incident was just at a bad moment, and this guy was judged by me off the bat to be one of those guys whose first gun came with a matching NRA hat and shirt and he just so happened to be wearing them both that day. Fanny pack didn't help, know it all demeanor and unwelcomed physical contact set it off.

Thanks
    Eric

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Well, I'll tell you the answer. Well, not really me. I had to consult an expert. My wife who has been and Ophthalmic tech for 25 years or so. She tells me she is a good one. ;-) There are some people that you cannot tell which eye is dominant. They tell them to pick whichever eye is good for them. For some shooters they have fitted a contact on the non-dominant side to make their vision blurry, at distance, in the non-dominant eye thereby forcing dominance. Possible downside is it may make you nauseous. Do what works for you. Lastly, the world of assholes!

Top Bottom